PS2 Expansion Bays questions

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What's the difference between the official Network Adaptor and the chinese's? Do the latter only provide a HDD/SSD/SSHD connection and no ethernet while the former provides both?

What's the official/chinese Network Adaptors maximum supported file size, 1 TB for the former and 2 TB for the latter?

Does the official Network Adaptor only support IDE HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs and the chinese's only support SATA's?

If replacing the official Network Adaptor's IDE adapter for a SATA one, will it make it support SATA HDDs/SSDS/SSHDs, and if so, would it support up to 2 TB SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs like the chinese Network Adaptors?

Do all SATA adapters work on the official Network Adaptor?

Do official and chinese Network Adaptors support all IDE/SATA HDDs/SSDs/SSHDs?

How can I add PS1 and PS2 games to the PS2's HDD/SSD/SSHD? Do I always need to take it from the Network Adaptor and connect it to the PC or may it be done without taking it? If the latter, wouldn't it be too slow?

How can I make a HDD/SSD/SSHD work (according to what I read, in spite of being internal, the drive would have to stay outside the console) on the SCPH-70004 (PS2 Slim) model? Do I need to hardmod it?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried it but it didn't work.

What did you do exactly? Did you change any network setting on Control Panel? I inserted the PS2's IP address on the PS2 but it showed no directories.

What static IP address and gateway? On the PS2?

Did you select insecure FTP in Filezilla? Keep the Windows machine on DHCP for now if we're just doing FTP, only the PS2's IP address needs to be known.

I just want to confirm something, what is your routers IP address?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Did you select insecure FTP in Filezilla? Keep the Windows machine on DHCP for now if we're just doing FTP, only the PS2's IP address needs to be known.

I just want to confirm something, what is your routers IP address?

That's what I did and it didn't work. Also, on PS2-Home, they show a video in which they do what I did.

You mean, the Default Gateway on ipconfig?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
It's 192.168.1.254.

This might explain some of your problems.

Instead of using
192.168.0.x
use
192.168.1.x

Basically your usable range of IP addresses whilst retaining internet access is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253. Presuming the other settings e.g. default gateway, DNS, subnet, etc. are correct.

Of course this assumes there aren't any IP conflicts, you may want to consider changing the DHCP range on the router to keep some IP addresses for any static IPs.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This might explain some of your problems.

Instead of using
192.168.0.x
use
192.168.1.x

Basically your usable range of IP addresses whilst retaining internet access is 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253. Presuming the other settings e.g. default gateway, DNS, subnet, etc. are correct.

Of course this assumes there aren't any IP conflicts, you may want to consider changing the DHCP range on the router to keep some IP addresses for any static IPs.

Sorry, what should be done? Do things need to be changed on the router? This user also did what I did so I don't know how it works for you. Also, why can't some websites be accessed with a static IP address?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, I tried connecting the PC to the PS2 by FileZilla and I had to do what I do when I want to run OPL, i.e., set a static IP address on the PC and change Windows' Control Panel's network settings (which is annoying) and I also had to go to FileZilla's site manager and set a new "site" (instead of just inserting PS2Net's IP address on FileZilla's "Host" box like we do to connect the PC to the PS3) because if I do the latter it wouldn't also work (I don't know why). Is there really no other way?
Is the PC on the same subnet as the PS2? You should only change the last part of the IP, e.g. if the PC is 192.168.0.36 then the PS2 can be 192.168.0.94, but if you set it to 192.168.1.94 instead then the PC might have trouble connecting to it. Otherwise there is no reason why it wouldn't be able to connect when the PC is set to auto.
All your devices should be on the same subnet unless you have a specific reason to have them on a different subnet because it can cause problems.

Edit: To explain a bit further. The subnet mask (normally 255.255.255.0) is what tells all the devices on your network what IPs are considered "valid" and in the case of 255.255.255.0 it's saying that all devices should be on the same subnet, it won't know how to route traffic to any devices on a different subnet, this is something you can change when you set a static IP (for example setting it to 255.255.0.0 would allow the last two parts of the IP to be different), but if you use DHCP then you must change it in the router, so it's best to keep everything on the same subnet to avoid having to mess with it at all.
It's 192.168.1.254.
Then the PS2 should also be 192.168.1.x and the PC should be left on auto and it should work.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Is the PC on the same subnet as the PS2? You should only change the last part of the IP, e.g. if the PC is 192.168.0.36 then the PS2 can be 192.168.0.94, but if you set it to 192.168.1.94 instead then the PC might have trouble connecting to it. Otherwise there is no reason why it wouldn't be able to connect when the PC is set to auto.
All your devices should be on the same subnet unless you have a specific reason to have them on a different subnet because it can cause problems.

Then the PS2 should also be 192.168.1.x and the PC should be left on auto and it should work.

I didn't change any wLE network configuration so my PS2's IP is 192.168.0.10 and my PC's IP is set to 192.168.0.123. If my PC has dynamic IP, it can't connect to the PS2.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I didn't change any wLE network configuration so my PS2's IP is 192.168.0.10 and my PC's IP is set to 192.168.0.123. If my PC has dynamic IP, it can't connect to the PS2 as well as if I don't change somoe control panel network settings.
Like I'm saying, set your PS2 to 192.168.1.x and set your PC to auto. Your PC is getting a 192.168.1.x address when it's set to auto and that's probably why it doesn't work.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Like I'm saying, set your PS2 to 192.168.1.x and set your PC to auto. Your PC is getting a 192.168.1.x address when it's set to auto and that's probably why it doesn't work.

I set the PS2's IP address to 192.168.1.10 in wLE's "Network Settings..." but the PS2's content only appears on FileZilla Client after adding a new site in the latter's "Site Manager" and checking the “Always allow insecure plain FTP for this server.” setting. Next, if I try to access the PS2 via "Quickconnect", the PS2's content doesn't appear and FileZilla Client says: "Connection established, waiting for welcome message...". Does that mean I'll always have to go to FileZilla Client's "Site Manager" and click "Connect" to see the PS2's content? Also, if my router is changed will I have to set a new IP address on the PS2? I changed OPL's IP address to match this new one (192.168.1.10) and SMB works.

Another thing, wLE saves the SYS-CONF folder to MC1. Shouldn't it save it to MC0? I always connect my MC with FMCB on the PS2's right MC port and I have in it all the homebrew files except two called "POPStarter" and "OPL Folder". Is this the right setup?

EDIT: Do you think I should set a static IP address on PS3, PS Vita and PS TV to be easier to FTP files from the PC to them? If so, what are the advantages and disadvantages between a dynamic and a static IP address and why can't some websites be accesses after setting a static IP address on my PC (I guess this also affects the consoles)?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I set the PS2's IP address to 192.168.1.10 in wLE's Network settings and changed Windows' Control Panel's network settings but the PS2's content only shows up on FileZilla after adding a new site in the latter's Site Manager and enabling the “Always allow insecure plain FTP for this server.” setting. Afterwards, if I try to access the PS2 via Quick connect, the PS2's content doesn't show up and FileZilla states: "Connection establised, waiting for welcome message...". Does this mean I'll always have to go to FileZilla's Site Manager and click on "Connect" to see the PS2's content? Also, if my router is changed will I have to assign a new IP address to the PS2? I changed OPL's IP address to match this new one (192.168.1.10) and SMB works.

Another thing, wLE saves the SYS-CONF Folder to MC1. Shouldn't it save it to MC0? I always plug my FMCB MC at the PS2's right port and I have in it all the homebrew files except two called "POPStarter" and "OPL Folder". Is this setup right?

EDIT: Do you think I should set a static IP address on PS3, PS Vita and PS TV to be easier to FTP files from the PC to them? If so, what are the advantagens and disadvantages between a dynamic and a static IP address and why can't I access some websites after setting a static IP address on my PC (I suppose this also affects the consoles)?

Quick connect in Filezilla likely uses secure FTP by default which the PS2 does not support. Hence why you need to change it to an insecure connection.

To save some time, you could save the PS2/site and use 'upside down triangle' next to the site icon.

If the router is changed, it will depend on the network settings. For example, some use 192.168.0.x, in which case yes you will have to change, if however it uses 192.168.1.x then probably not unless there's a conflict. You can however manually change these in the router settings.

MC0 is the left MC port, MC1 is the right port. That's why it's saving to MC1.

The main advantage of static IP addresses is that you always know the address, where as with DHCP you may have to look up the address on the device or the routers connected devices page.

The downside is that if anything changes e.g. you want to connect to a different network, you may have to either change back to DHCP or check the static IP address. This is why I have my desktop set to static whilst my laptop, tablet, etc. is DHCP.

If you do go down the static IP route, I'd advise changing the DHCP range in the router settings to reduce the change of conflict. For example, instead of the range being 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253 it's 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.253.

As for your PC, make sure the static settings are correct, in your case it would need to be something like:
IP: 192.168.1.x (x being your choice)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway (i.e. the router's IP address): 192.168.1.254

Primary DNS: 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare's DNS)
Secondary DNS: (can be blank or something like 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS)

Note: The DNS settings can be different, such as your ISP's, just as long as it's a working DNS provider.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Quick connect in Filezilla likely uses secure FTP by default which the PS2 does not support. Hence why you need to change it to an insecure connection.

To save some time, you could save the PS2/site and use 'upside down triangle' next to the site icon.

If the router is changed, it will depend on the network settings. For example, some use 192.168.0.x, in which case yes you will have to change, if however it uses 192.168.1.x then probably not unless there's a conflict. You can however manually change these in the router settings.

MC0 is the left MC port, MC1 is the right port. That's why it's saving to MC1.

The main advantage of static IP addresses is that you always know the address, where as with DHCP you may have to look up the address on the device or the routers connected devices page.

The downside is that if anything changes e.g. you want to connect to a different network, you may have to either change back to DHCP or check the static IP address. This is why I have my desktop set to static whilst my laptop, tablet, etc. is DHCP.

If you do go down the static IP route, I'd advise changing the DHCP range in the router settings to reduce the change of conflict. For example, instead of the range being 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253 it's 192.168.1.20 to 192.168.1.253.

As for your PC, make sure the static settings are correct, in your case it would need to be something like:
IP: 192.168.1.x (x being your choice)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway (i.e. the router's IP address): 192.168.1.254

Primary DNS: 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare's DNS)
Secondary DNS: (can be blank or something like 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS)

Note: The DNS settings can be different, such as your ISP's, just as long as it's a working DNS provider.

How can I use the "upside down triangle"?

OK, but is this the right MC setup?

Sorry, I didn't get why I can't access some websites after setting a static IP address.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
How can I use upside down triangle?

Ok, but is the MC setup right?

Sorry, I didn't understand why I can't access some websites after setting a static IP address.

Just save the PS2 site in filezilla then click on the upside down triangle and it should be there.

I've only ever used MC0, but if MC1 is working ok for you then I don't see why it's an issue as long as everything is configured correctly e.g. any hypothetical settings paths lead to the correct MC slot.

I want to make sure that the static IP address settings you're using are 'correct', getting these wrong can cause issues.

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Just save the PS2 site in filezilla then click on the upside down triangle and it should be there.

I've only ever used MC0, but if MC1 is working ok for you then I don't see why it's an issue as long as everything is configured correctly e.g. any hypothetical settings paths lead to the correct MC slot.

I want to make sure that the static IP address settings you're using are 'correct', getting these wrong can cause issues.

Sorry, I now get what you meant by "upside down triangle".

You were talking about the black down arrow next to the shortcut setting which opens "Site Manager" below "File" and not the black down arrow next to "Quickconnect". I was clicking the latter since it works for the PS3, PSP, PS Vita and PS TV and I still wasn't able to connect to the PS2 even after adding a PS2 site. It still said "Connection established, waiting for welcome message...". If I click the former black down arrow", it works.

EDIT: Now I got OPL via SMB working by setting "DHCP" in "IP Address Type", "IP" in "Address Type", "192.168.1.108" in "Address" and "PS2SMB" (the shared folder's name) in "Share" and after setting my Windows username in "User" and its password in "Password" in OPL's Network Settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1