Hardware PS2 clock doesn't work. I replaced the battery and it STILL doesn't work

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A few days ago the clock quit working on my friend's PS2, so I figured the battery had croaked. Since it's expensive to take it to a game store and replace it (half the price of buying a new one), I offered to do it for free. He gives me the system and a loose battery, I take two hours disassembling the system, put the new battery in, turn it on, and it still doesn't work. Is there any other reason the clock may not work, or did he just give me a dead battery? If it helps, we put FreeMcBoot on the system but it took two tries to get it working (he gave me a generic card to work with that didn't work so I had to use a 1st party card). When we pulled FMCB card #1 out, that's when we noticed the clock stopped working. I can't even change the time. Did the shitty generic card fuck up the BIOS?

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you checked the voltages? Both in the battery on it's own and when put into the PS2?
No unfortunately. I don't have a multimeter anymore (I don't really fix consoles for fun, it's just something I like doing every once in a while). I may end up having to call and ask him where he got the battery.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
No unfortunately. I don't have a multimeter anymore (I don't really fix consoles for fun, it's just something I like doing every once in a while). I may end up having to call and ask him where he got the battery.

Might be worth asking if your friend has a multimeter. One possibility I’m wondering is if it’s the battery holder which is at fault e.g. A bad solder joint.

Reactions: supernintendo128

supernintendo128

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be worth asking if your friend has a multimeter. One possibility I’m wondering is if it’s the battery holder which is at fault e.g. A bad solder joint.
I'll do that too and get back to you.

EDIT: So he gave me a used battery that he "tested" in his Neo Geo Pocket and thought it would be alright to give. Apparently it wasn't. I told him to buy me a fresh battery and to let me borrow his multimeter. I'll also check the battery holder for bad joints though it looked fine to me at first glance...

Last edited by supernintendo128,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn