PS2 Classics cracked: Convert your PS2 ISOs for play on 4.xx CFW PS3s

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Multiman is used for blu-ray game backups and file management. You just need to grab the .pkg file for the latest one, slap it on the root of some USB device, plug it in and install it.

Even though I believe my firmware to be anything but 3.55? Oh well. I don't want to risk bricking my PS3, so....

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I believe my firmware to be anything but 3.55? Oh well. I don't want to risk bricking my PS3, so....
As long as your firmware actually says it's 3.55 you're good. It's really not all that different than modding PSPs, you just have to be a little more careful. If you still want to attempt it and need help with anything, feel free to PM me.

As for this PS2 Classics hack, I've been messing around with it for a day now and several games are working without any issues (only game I tested with a very minor sound glitch was FFXII International). A few other games have been appearing that have more issues or won't play at all, so the games on PSN are more or less modified in some way that eliminates the few bugs or glitches that would exist otherwise.

There's even a compatibility list up. http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as your firmware actually says it's 3.55 you're good. It's really not all that different than modding PSPs, you just have to be a little more careful. If you still want to attempt it and need help with anything, feel free to PM me.

As for this PS2 Classics hack, I've been messing around with it for a day now and several games are working without any issues (only game I tested with a very minor sound glitch was FFXII International). A few other games have been appearing that have more issues or won't play at all, so the games on PSN are more or less modified in some way that eliminates the few bugs or glitches that would exist otherwise.

There's even a compatibility list up. http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PS2_Classics_Emulator_Compatibility_List

Ah, bollocks and blimey, I'm SOL unless there's a safe (ish) way t to downgrade,

Darn I'm on 4.30. So it isn't happening

I think I'm on that too. The only feasible way is to install an earlier firmware, which is risky.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
No Front Mission 4 and 5 compatibility, I'll switch to CFW once I know both work at least 90% fine, since my PS3 will be collecting dust for the rest of the year and everything I want to buy is on Vita and 3DS.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hope something like that comes for the PS2 Classics saves, although it will probably require a CFW to read modded save files, well i was able to mod some of my saves, but i only got mods for the first 2 MW games, but would be nice to mod the saves the PS2 Classics creates. I would love to use my original saves on those, specially with Midnight Club 2, completed the game on the PS2 but really don't want to do it again because i can't use my original save.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's hype, but I wish that actual PS2 Classics would get more releases. It's pitiful, like 2 new releases every month, and never anything I give a damn about... which is sad, because I LOVE the PS2!

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So does this mean Sony was lying this whole time about the PS3 not being able to emulate PS2 games? Is this exactly how PS1 games work on the PSP? in a wrapper? Someone clear this up for me because if Sony has had the capability to allow retail PS2 games to be run on a non-BC PS3...FUCK EM...Fuck em all to hell.

Reactions: tbgtbg

BasedKiliK

Salt of the Earth~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's hype, but I wish that actual PS2 Classics would get more releases. It's pitiful, like 2 new releases every month, and never anything I give a damn about... which is sad, because I LOVE the PS2!
Really, it's the reason I still have a PS2. So I know I still have access to those games that'll never end up on the store. (I'd normally emulate, but my computer's not up to snuff)

So does this mean Sony was lying this whole time about the PS3 not being able to emulate PS2 games? Is this exactly how PS1 games work on the PSP? in a wrapper? Someone clear this up for me because if Sony has had the capability to allow retail PS2 games to be run on a non-BC PS3...FUCK EM...Fuck em all to hell.

Pretty much. They're basically selling back our games when they could've just improved the emulator and released it to the public.

Since the architectures are different, this is pure software emulation, same for PS1. The PSP is more on the virtualization side.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Really, it's the reason I still have a PS2. So I know I still have access to those games that'll never end up on the store. (I'd normally emulate, but my computer's not up to snuff)

Pretty much. They're basically selling back our games when they could've just improved the emulator and released it to the public.

Since the architectures are different, this is pure software emulation, same for PS1. The PSP is more on the virtualization side.
WOW...I don't know how i feel about Sony anymore. Honestly that's just dirty business.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I'm converting tales of the abyss 1.0 USA right now...

a classic ps2 game is running already on my slim 2001-a

had to switch to REBUG 4.30-2 rex (plus I've applied the march 20th rebug update)

lexarvn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is exactly what I was afraid of when they started releasing ps2 classics...

I just look at this and think that I would have been happy even if they decided to sell the emulator for the price of a ps3 game for those that had ps2 games already, and sell the ps2 classics on the side for those who didn't.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly what I was afraid of when they started releasing ps2 classics...

I just look at this and think that I would have been happy even if they decided to sell the emulator for the price of a ps3 game for those that had ps2 games already, and sell the ps2 classics on the side for those who didn't.

That would have been the awesome thing to do... I am not even sure it would have been less profits but I am sure some one ran some numbers and said "If we sell the emulator it's one sale... If we sell just the games it could be as many as people are willing to buy!"

My take on the whole situation is that the software emulator probably took a long time to complete and forced Sony to include hardware for BC. I think Sony fans would have been happy with any sort of emulation if it meant a cheaper PS3 at launch. Over time the emulation could have been improved just like the 360's did.

I know that would have made me a lot happier.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Yeah, I'm actually disappointed in the PS3, I probably would have been better off buying a Japanese PS2. At least I wasn't stupid enough to sell off my PS2 like all my other friends...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Look at you holding tiny things