ps2 can play dvd-9 games but not dvd-r

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by poopoorenn, Jun 16, 2013.

1. poopoorenn
    OP

poopoorenn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2013
    Hi Everyone,

i need some suggestions, i have ps2 slim model scph-7504 that can play dvd-9 ps2 pirated games but when i tried to download an iso ps2 game and burned it with dvd-r my ps2 can't read it. why is that?

i hope you can help me, Thanks in advance :)

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Did you patch it with ESR?

3. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Could also be the game not liking that model of PS2. I had one that wouldn't run on my slim even though other backups ran fine, yet it runs on my old wore out early model PS2 just fine. Try another game and see if it works.

4. poopoorenn
    OP

poopoorenn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2013

i did not patch it with ESR because those games that i burned can play it with my cousins ps2.

i've tried 4 games already but still it doesn't work on my ps2, but when i tried that 4 games with my cousins ps2 it works on his console.

5. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Well did you play it via ESR or SwapMagic on your cousin? What about your console?

6. poopoorenn
    OP

poopoorenn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2013

no i did not, i just put the game in it and it just played without any problem, he's ps2 model is scph-9006 its not even hard modded or soft modded.

7. poopoorenn
    OP

poopoorenn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2013
    i just recently found out about modding your ps2, so im kind of newbie in terms of modding. and here in our country i think swap magic isn't available i don't where to find it, is it downloadable?

8. trumpet-205

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    There is no way PS2 will play burned disc without either modchip, ESR, or Swap Magic.

* Modchip is hardmod.
    * ESR is softmod, relying on a disc loader called ESR to load the game. ISO must be patched with ESR prior to burning or ESR loading will not work.
    * Swap Magic is an actual disc that is manufactured in a way to fool PS2 into thinking it is an authentic disc. Swap Magic stops the PS2 disc drive, allowing you to swap in a burned disc and play them.

Based on your description, your cousin's SCPH-90006 is hard modded. FreeMcboot (memory card exploit that allows you to run ESR) does NOT work on most 9000x series since Sony patched the exploit. And since you did not mention swapping the disc, the only way your cousin's PS2 plays burned disc is if that PS2 has a mod chip installed.

Hence you are back to square one.

* First you need a memory card with FreeMcboot exploit.
    * Next you need to patch your ISO with ESR, then burn them on to DVD-R. Quality DVD-R would be Tayio Yuden. Burn it at 8x.

poopoorenn and 431unknown like this.
  9. poopoorenn
    OP

poopoorenn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2013

thank you, i will let you know if it works, :)

10. poopoorenn
    OP

poopoorenn Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 16, 2013

what is freemcboot exploit and how to put that in my memory card?

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto