PS2 BC lost going from 60Gb BC to 80Gb BC PS3?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by keine, Sep 12, 2010.

Sep 12, 2010
  1. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Is there a list that details the games that are NOT compatible with an 80Gb BC but ARE compatible with a 60GB.
    In other words, what compatibility was lost when the Emotion Hardware chip was removed in the PS3.
    Thanks

2. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    I think that you've already inadvertantly answered the question yourself.

when sony reduced the chipset in the ps3 (keeping the reality synthesizer chip but dropping the emotion engine chip), they did not bother to try and emulate the functionality of the emotion engine, and all of those games that relied on it either stopped working or had issues. the sad part was that as a metal gear solid edition 80GB backward compatible system, mgs 3: subsistence became one of the titles were graphical glitches were among problems experienced without the EE chip

3. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    But there must be a list.....
    they didn't drop ALL PS2 games, they just dropped some is my understanding, which is.
    from the 60gB to the 80gB you lost the actual emotion CHIP, and PS2 BC was changed to software emu.

It would just be nice to know to guage the worth of actually having the PS2 emotion chip on the board compared to software emu in the 80gB.

4. doyama

Member doyama GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    They dropped all PS2 backwards compatibility in the later PS3's because the actual silicon used to provide PS2 compatibility was removed from the board to reduce cost.

PS1 game compatibility was kept because those were purely software emulated and thus unaffected by the actual silicon removal.

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=232

Almost no PS3's currently in production provide PS2 backwards compatibility.

5. keine
    OP

Member keine GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think there is still a little confusion I guess.

Hardware-based PS2 emulation (60 GB CECHAxx)

vs.

Partially software-based PS2 emulation (80 GB CECHExx)

see Wikipedia PS3 Revisions