PS2 backups crash the system when outputting analog video but work fine over HDMI

BlessedDog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hi!
I recently switched my system to output video over component instead of HDMI to play PS2 games "the way they were meant to be played", but I discovered PS2 titles refuse to launch? They work fine over HDMI, but over component my system goes black, beeps three times and quickly flashes a yellow light once after which it starts flashing red until I hit the power button to shut it down.
I tried using multiman instead of irisman to mount the game but it made no difference, PS3 games work fine tho (both backups and BD).

I have the phat CECHK04 model with two usb ports on the front so AFAIK the games don't run natively but in an emulator?
Also when troubleshooting I tried launching PS3Doom, but it didn't even try to start and just said "You cannot play this game at the current video output settings", maybe related?

Does anyone know the cause or a solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance!

egabby97

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!
I recently switched my system to output video over component instead of HDMI to play PS2 games "the way they were meant to be played", but I discovered PS2 titles refuse to launch? They work fine over HDMI, but over component my system goes black, beeps three times and quickly flashes a yellow light once after which it starts flashing red until I hit the power button to shut it down.
I tried using multiman instead of irisman to mount the game but it made no difference, PS3 games work fine tho (both backups and BD).

I have the phat CECHK04 model with two usb ports on the front so AFAIK the games don't run natively but in an emulator?
Also when troubleshooting I tried launching PS3Doom, but it didn't even try to start and just said "You cannot play this game at the current video output settings", maybe related?

Does anyone know the cause or a solution to this issue?

Thanks in advance!
I am having the same issue. After much headache and troubleshooting switched back from rgb to my CRT to HDMI and low and behold it works consistently. My temps never exceeded 55°C so I was very exhausted with the constant talk of overheating. I am on Evilnat 4.88 and only recently tried analog video and had a fright that my ps3 slim was dying. This would be very helpful to have solved

BlessedDog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I am having the same issue. After much headache and troubleshooting switched back from rgb to my CRT to HDMI and low and behold it works consistently. My temps never exceeded 55°C so I was very exhausted with the constant talk of overheating. I am on Evilnat 4.88 and only recently tried analog video and had a fright that my ps3 slim was dying. This would be very helpful to have solved
Did you manage to get analog output working?

ledxzeppelin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for bumping this thread (made my account just to post here :wacko:), but I found it while researching and wanted to add my info for anyone else who is also dealing with the same issues in hopes that it can be figured out.

Have been experiencing the same thing with my slim model, CFW on Evilnat 4.90. PS2 ISOs running off the internal drive, which I have replaced with an SSD, cause the console to shut off upon loading the ISO and make the console beep 3 times, before going into standby with a blinking red light. I have tried launching using webman, multiman, and managunz, have correct config files for my ISOs in the correct location with correct file names, and the issue is still pretty persistent. Have tried setting the ps2 emulator fan curve in webman to a range of percents between 40-90% with no change. Ruled out that it's an overheating issue (console has been deep cleaned and repasted), and when I have gotten ps2 games to run, the temperatures are reading under 60C with the default fan settings. Have tried with upscaling/smoothing on, off, and other combinations. Seems to crash whether running over component or HDMI. My understanding is the PS2 emulator can only do 480i internally. Happens with games the are clear on the compatibility list, but does not seem to happen to official PS2 classics.

What's interesting is when I can eventually get a game to launch, it runs for hours. I haven't experienced a crash on any game once it actually gets to the PS2 splash screen on startup. It's only what I assume to be the initial boot into the emulator that causes the crash. Cycling between using different launch methods is what seems to eventually get a game to load, but I feel like that's probably just coincidental.

Reactions: BlessedDog

BlessedDog

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Sorry for bumping this thread (made my account just to post here :wacko:), but I found it while researching and wanted to add my info for anyone else who is also dealing with the same issues in hopes that it can be figured out.

Have been experiencing the same thing with my slim model, CFW on Evilnat 4.90. PS2 ISOs running off the internal drive, which I have replaced with an SSD, cause the console to shut off upon loading the ISO and make the console beep 3 times, before going into standby with a blinking red light. I have tried launching using webman, multiman, and managunz, have correct config files for my ISOs in the correct location with correct file names, and the issue is still pretty persistent. Have tried setting the ps2 emulator fan curve in webman to a range of percents between 40-90% with no change. Ruled out that it's an overheating issue (console has been deep cleaned and repasted), and when I have gotten ps2 games to run, the temperatures are reading under 60C with the default fan settings. Have tried with upscaling/smoothing on, off, and other combinations. Seems to crash whether running over component or HDMI. My understanding is the PS2 emulator can only do 480i internally. Happens with games the are clear on the compatibility list, but does not seem to happen to official PS2 classics.

What's interesting is when I can eventually get a game to launch, it runs for hours. I haven't experienced a crash on any game once it actually gets to the PS2 splash screen on startup. It's only what I assume to be the initial boot into the emulator that causes the crash. Cycling between using different launch methods is what seems to eventually get a game to load, but I feel like that's probably just coincidental.
Damn that's a lot of info, I'll dig through it once I dust off my PS3 again and see if I can work something out.

Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over