Ps1 original the screen is only black and white why

Stone_yt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So about 2 weeks ago I got a PlayStation one it came without the av multi out so today I bought one, and it's only black and white. Can anyone help?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
black and white can happen with the wrong refresh rate iirc. I see you're in America. are you sure it's an American system?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly by the model number. I'm sure it's on the back, but unfortunately, I don't know how to tell from that though. I don't know how the models look on the playstation one. that's the original playstation slim, right? I owned one a very long time ago.

Stone_yt

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
possibly by the model number. I'm sure it's on the back, but unfortunately, I don't know how to tell from that though. I don't know how the models look on the playstation one. that's the original playstation slim, right? I owned one a very long time ago.
It's the 1st one I think

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The last digit of the PlayStation model number denotes the region in which it was sold:

• 0 is Japan (Japanese boot ROM, NTSC:J region, NTSC Video, 100 V PSU)
  • 1 is USA/Canada (English boot ROM, NTSC:U/C region, NTSC Video, 120 V PSU)
  • 2 is Europe/Australia/PAL region (English boot ROM, PAL region, PAL Video, 220-240 V PSU)
  • 3 is Asia (English boot ROM, NTSC:J region, NTSC video, Wide range 110-240 V PSU)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that's the first edition, I think. I think the playstation one is white, and it's the original playstation slim model.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also there might be a capacitor going bad or a potentiometer that needs to be adjusted? (Older consoles I know had the pot issue) Also might be worth checking if the cable or connection is dirty? Also could be the GPU well what counts as a GPU is going bad or bad RAM.

I would try cleaning everything first making sure it's the right region also maybe your TV doesn't like that signal try switching the PS1's cable to channel 4 or 3 one might work better than the other.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
might be better just to call it a ps1 or psx. you did in the title, but I think playstation one with one spelled out refers to the slim version of the ps1. it's confusing, I know.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
btw, psx technically refers to the ps2 model that was also I think a dvr (only released in Japan), but it's become synonymous with referring to the ps1 for some reason. that's probably used more often than ps1 actually. I know I use it most of the time.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since you're in the US, you should see a color image on any Playstation who's model number ends in 0, 1 or 3 (all NTSC consoles). If it ends in a 2 it's a PAL console and SHOULD display in black and white on a NTSC/US TV.

If that's not the problem it is either an issue with the multi-out connector on the console or one (or more) of the three capacitors that handle video output are bad and need replacing. I have done this on the PS One Slim before and it's really basic soldering. Anyone could do it.

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
btw, psx technically refers to the ps2 model that was also I think a dvr (only released in Japan), but it's become synonymous with referring to the ps1 for some reason. that's probably used more often than ps1 actually. I know I use it most of the time.
The whole psx thing can be rather confusing but for those that don't know I will try and explain it.

It all goes back to when the deal between Nintendo and Sony to produce the SNES CD add on which was to be called the Play Station fell apart. Sony obviously decided to continue the project on their own. Since the name "play station" was produced from their partnership with Nintendo, they opted to rename the console "PlayStation X." The decision to do this was even strengthened when the name "PlayStation" garnered negative feedback in focus group studies.

"PSX" became this console's official name, for a time. Marketing materials named the console as such. It wasn't until later that Sony decided to simply name it "PlayStation" and later, after the PS2's release, "PS1."

Like you said though most people just refer to it as the PSX even after the fact Sony later on released their DVR/PS2 combo machine and called it the PSX.

Reactions: zfreeman

Retinal_FAILURE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Start with least expensive and most obvious first. Are you plugging in a composite or yellow video wire into a component input or green. If your TV has those seperate problems can arise. If you have done the opposite...plugging component (YPbPr) [green, red, blue, white, red into an RCA or Compsite input a black and white picture will show, too. This is because all original Playstation 1 and PS One consoles cannot output Component signals natively, just RGB. Make sure your multi out or cabling in relation to the first SCPH-100x models from their RCA outs are input into their appropriate connections on your TV or monitor before going haywire and opening the console. I have like four PS1s and only one had a problem with the AV out being pushed too far into the console. The joints were stressed and no picture results from that unit now, but the when the problem began to occur it was showing a dimmer picture, but still color, later the 'jaggies' and eventually no picture. :)

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.