Hacking Homebrew PS1 emulation on PSP

PimpinBudha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm new to PSP emulation and plan on getting a PSP. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered. In advance those who do answer, thank you very much.

1. What is the best custom firmware to use? I've heard Dark Alex's firmware and then I hear Devhook can be used.

2. Can I rollback or recover my PSP to the original firmware once I install the custom firmware?

3. Is there a compatibility list of the PS1 games that can run?

4. Can I use a PS1 ISO file I made?

5. How are all the buttons mapped? (L2 R2 etc.)

Again thanks in advance to anyone who answers my questions.

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. dark alex firmware is the best
2.yes you can go back to 1.5
3.most ps1 games run i have never found on ethat cant and i have tried loads.
4.yes you can use your own ps1 isos. however you need the game code (SLUS-xxxx)You also need to convert them using popstation.
5.i havent played my psp in a while so i cant remember how you work l2 and r2. i think you use the analog button. left on the analog button = l2 right on the analog button=r2 i think.
unsure.gif

PimpinBudha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
But I heard to use Popstation you have to have Hot Shot Golf 2 or something like that to work. Is that true? And have you ever tried Final Fantasy 8 on the PSP? Cause that's the only game I really want to play.

OG LOCC NESS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You had to have Hot Shot Golf 2 a long time ago. And you can play FF8. Just go to sites that has PSP ISOs and they should have a section specifically for FF8.

PimpinBudha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have FF8 myself. So Popstation doesn't need Hot Shot Golf 2? That's great. How would I be able to find the game code for the certain game I want?

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
So this psx support is due to sony and the new firmware which allows any old iso. But mainly sonys architecture of the psp and it processors to allow it to play such a thing.

If you ask me its something which strikes me as a killer feature but nobody I know really hypes about it. If I had a psp it would be ctr and medeviel all the way!

Q: Does the psp play psx rips ok? (no sound or music the uneeded features of the game)

Note: Use rips if you can you can get like 50 meg rips of certain psx games.

(remembering that you must have the origional yourself of course
tongue.gif
)

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
a PBP would be an eboot file. What exactly are you trying to do again?

EDIT: Quick tutorial for running PSX games

Skip to step 5 if you already have the converted EBOOT.PBP file. I usually get my EBOOTs pre-converted so I'm not sure about the starting steps, though it should work.

1. Create an iso for your PS1 disk (you should know how to do this).
2. Load the newest POPStation (AFAIK you don't need anything extra).
3. Just follow the self-explanatory buttons. Compression may create problems, but it is generally safe to use a high level of compression. You can customize the EBOOT with pictures and the icon as well.
4. Press Go!
5. Copy the files (EBOOT.PBP and KEYS.BIN if you have one) to 'X:/PSP/GAME/"short Game name"' You need a short game name (eg. CastlevaniaSOTN rather than Castlevania Symphony of the Night to avoid some errors).
6. It should appear in your memory stick when you have a custom firmware above 3.02 (or 3).

A bit of a crappy tutorial, but some steps may be wrong, and theres nothing that's too hard about figuring out the bits on the inside

PimpinBudha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh ok. Well I'll try to see if I can figure out the problem with that program. If not then'll I'll use Popstation like you suggested.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So this psx support is due to sony and the new firmware which allows any old iso. But mainly sonys architecture of the psp and it processors to allow it to play such a thing.

If you ask me its something which strikes me as a killer feature but nobody I know really hypes about it. If I had a psp it would be ctr and medeviel all the way!

The reason it's not 'hyped about' is because you need a PS3 to be able buy the PS1 games from Sony.

Obviously we can use Popstation and ISOs, but you're average PSP owner is never going to buy a PS3 just to play PS1 games.

PimpinBudha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a quick question. I've gotten it to work but how come in theme mode of PSX2PSP it goes very slowly while in Classic mode it finishes within like 2 minutes? Any ideas? Thanks for all of your help so far. My PSP should be arriving in about three days and I'll finally be able to play FF8 on the way to San Jose. I've also heard of something called UMDLoader. What is that exactly?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe it was an ISO/UMD emulator for the PSP. However, the newest custom firmware should allow you to play ISOs without UMDLoader.

PimpinBudha

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, well the PSX2PSP worked but there's no keys.bin file. Should one have been created or should I use the one that came with Hot Shot Golf 2?

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe someone can help me with this - I have the DS, my friend has the PSP, somehow he can't seem to upgrade from 2.71-oe-b to whatever the newest one is... I googled a little bit and it looks like quite the confusing method of upgrading one thing, downgrading another, flashing this bios, etc, etc, somethingdevhook, lolerskates, and so forth.

Much more complicated than say, drag and drop, or even DLDI or IPS patching for my DSX. Anywho, does anyone have CLEAR instructions on how to actually upgrade from 2.71oe-b to 3.40?

Thanks in advance, I tried a few different "tutorials" but with dozens of steps and a bunch of dead links for the "necessary files" it was a whole lot of wasted time.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The instructions should be in the 3.40 OE-A upgrader. You need to put the files in the GAME150 folder for all custom firmwares. Make sure you have the official 1.50 and 3.40 updates in the correct folders. Runthe custom firmware maker to make a DXAR file, which will need to be moved before an actual update.

For necessary files go to dl.qj.net and find them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr