Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Um, it's called a USB cable?

I was under the impression that you could transfer data to the memory card via a USB cable. So in the end this does nothing.

Um, we aren't even 100% sure about it?

From this news post I reckon it'll mean the exact same thing for USB connectivity; meaning this program will still have to be used. It would make absolutely no sense if they didn't do it this way, and despite how stupid Sony is I don't think they're this stupid.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone say umd 2.0 (this time in memory card format)? with all these added costs, u'll be lucky to make it out the door without paying $400+ on launch day.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So Sony claims that requiring new readers and special software for a new format of memory card that's like twice as expensive is going to be more convenient?

what is this i dont even

While the PSP requires Windows-only utility Media Go to transfer games to Sony's proprietary Memory Sticks
And this line set off my bullshit alarm too. The thing with media go and the PSP was needing to add info to the internal flash of the PSP, wasn't it? Not the memory stick.

Um, it's called a USB cable?

I was under the impression that you could transfer data to the memory card via a USB cable. So in the end this does nothing.
The report says that management needs to be done through special software, so it's likely that the Vita won't read standard filesystems and the memory card will need to be formatted as a proprietary one only their software writes to.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The memory format will be cracked..
Why doesn't Sony just make their security good instead of putting restraints on what people can do..

this. it's also horrible that some games actually require these new cards to run. I can already foresee a flash cart like device with a port for a mini sd card to circumvent the protection.

wafflestick

(insert title here)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hahahaha!!! this will do nothing but increase efforts into cracking this pup. apple tried doing the same but failed

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The company plans to not allow users to hook up the memory cards to their PCs as "mass storage" formats, meaning that they will not be able to transfer and organize their files without using a special content management program, unlike how one manages files on a standard SD card or other devices.

1) Pretty sure that third party companies will release much cheaper card of the same quality (like Sandisk)

2) Also pretty sure that card reader that you can plug in the usb port of your PC are gonna come out sooner or later and no offense Sony, but you're powerless to stop that.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo should just give up and stop fighting piracy. It's a battle they can't win no matter what. They're wasting money doing so and the people cracking the security aren't, since most do it as a hobby.

In the end, if they try to prevent piracy, it costs them money, they lose at the end and we pirate their games and they still lose more money. If they give up, at least they save money on a losing battle and just lose some to piracy.

Not that they lose any money to piracy, because most of the pirates would never buy the games if they couldn't pirate. Also, the only point to getting a PSP was piracy and since Sony are still idiots, the Vita is only gonna be worth the 250$ if you can pirate and download free games.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
1) Pretty sure that third party companies will release much cheaper card of the same quality (like Sandisk)
If so, then they're getting a license or whatever from Sony, meaning Sony profits from each one anyways.

2) Also pretty sure that card reader that you can plug in the usb port of your PC are gonna come out sooner or later and no offense Sony, but you're powerless to stop that.
Who says the cards will use a standard filesystem? It was the same sort of thing with some generation ipods for a while, no OS could modify the filesystem, special software that could do it had to be used (itunes) until the filesystem and info was properly reversed.

Not to say it won't be possible with time... but anti-piracy is often about delay anyways.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Remember when Apple did the same thing with the iPod? That sure worked didn't it, guys?
Except the iPod didn't have memory cards which don't work on any other systems and are overpriced (although the system itself is)

No, but it had a proprietary file system, which I'm assuming is the approach Sony is taking. There's nothing saying there won't be third party Vita Card readers, but if you can't read the file system, it's a moot point. Even then, the iPod's file system was cracked and third party programs were created to read and write to the iPod anyway.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Don't know if you guys knew this or not, but it is possible to copy and add content from an iPod via the terminal without using the iTunes media library. This makes it possible to, for example, copy all the mp3's from your friends iPod without having the delete everything when connecting to the computer. This doesn't even need any kind of "hacking", just a few normal commands using terminal. I don't know how they plan to add this feature on the OS, but as far as I know, the same is possible with Windows. Unless it's protected heavily, this won't prevent access to the memory card in any way.

-Qtis

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: hey