PS Vita Headphone jack only outputs mono

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Speedster, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Speedster
    OP

Speedster Hack ALL THE THINGS

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    It only outputs mono most of the time, but if I put the connector in a certain position, it works. For some reason, the Apple earbuds don't do this though. Anyone know how to fix this?

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Doesn't sound like PS Vita problem, more like headphone problem.

3. geishroy

geishroy Suspended

Suspended
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States
    Your headphones are broken

4. exangel

exangel executioner angel

Apr 20, 2010
    United States
    Tucson, AZ
    Headphones that have an in-line mic have a slightly different connector than the ordinary stereo minijack.
    If either the connector on your regular headphones are damaged or the internal socket is damaged, this is a typical result.

The PS Vita is designed to utilize inline mics like cell phones do (their official Vita headphones have an inline mic) but I don't have any problem getting stereo output on my hi-fi 'phones which do not have a microphone built in.

Sadly, the fix is to try another pair of headphones to see if the Vita's stereo minijack socket is damaged, or try a headphone jack splitter (or extension cord) if the headphones in question are valuable (I had a $130 Bose set for like 4 or 5 years before it was unusable, "just replacing them" would have been absurd if a headphone jack splitter or extension cable would have stabilized the connection).

5. aaronz77

aaronz77 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2011
    United States
    USA
    Bluetooth stereo headphones work great! Ive never tried the jack.

6. Speedster
    OP

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    It's weird because the headphones work perfect with other devices. Also, another problem I've been having wth my Vita is that it says it's dead, even though a moment earlier it said it was full, and I can just press the PS button to turn it back on. I'm not sure if using a converter messed it up (because I'm in Italy right now and have a US system).

7. jumpman1229

jumpman1229 SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!

Mar 2, 2013
    United States
    Maryland
    My first thought when I read the title of this thread was "your mom only outputs mono"

8. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    The PSVita charger is universal. I've got a white US PSVita and just changed the cord for the charger from the US one to the EUR standard (Nordic countries anyways). No problems whatsoever.

9. Speedster
    OP

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    Well in Italy there are 3 circular prongs instead of the US shape, so I need a converter just to plug it in.

10. Sakitoshi

Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

May 8, 2012
    Chile
    behind a keyboard or a gamepad
    just to ask, are you trying to use cellphone headphones?? i mean the ones with 4 metal contacts and 3 plastic separations on the plug?? because there are 2 standards for these plugs, most cellphones, Vita, 3DS and IDevices AFAIK uses this configuration:
    [​IMG]

but SonyEricsson Xperia 2011 line and some Nokia phones interchange the sleeve signal with the ring 2, thus being incompatible with the other configuration, you can test leaving pressed the button on the mic of the headphone(if any), if works as it should then the pins don't connect when it should connect and thus the headphone has the other configuration that the Vita doesn't uses.

11. Speedster
    OP

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    Mine only has 2 rings. I'm planning on getting the official Vita headphones anyway.

12. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    disregard, double post as web browser messed up trying to edit

13. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    same as above