Hacking PS TV with 3.20

abweichung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, first time poster sporadic lurker.

I had just gotten a PS TV from Amazon's fire sale that came with 3.20 firmware.

I want to get cfw on this thing for emulators and psp.

Is there a guide for a 3.20 firmware (I see 3.18 and below)?

Also, I do not own a PS3, but I do own a second PS TV (for the prospect of not hacking and using PSN + Vita games).

Is the PS3 a necessity in order to get CFW on my PS TV? If so, can my second PS TV be used instead to purchase and transfer games?

Sorry, for the numerous questions, I just want to make sure I go about this the right way. I haven't done anything yet, but take it out of the box and check what firmware it was running on.

Thank you in advance!

Arizato

Memento Mori
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, first time poster sporadic lurker.

I had just gotten a PS TV from Amazon's fire sale that came with 3.20 firmware.

I want to get cfw on this thing for emulators and psp.

Is there a guide for a 3.20 firmware (I see 3.18 and below)?

Also, I do not own a PS3, but I do own a second PS TV (for the prospect of not hacking and using PSN + Vita games).

Is the PS3 a necessity in order to get CFW on my PS TV? If so, can my second PS TV be used instead to purchase and transfer games?

Sorry, for the numerous questions, I just want to make sure I go about this the right way. I haven't done anything yet, but take it out of the box and check what firmware it was running on.

Thank you in advance!

Sony recently removed the games available for the latest exploit. Your best chance at the moment is to update and hope that a new exploit comes soon. I do not currently know of any way where you can download the exploit games on a lower firmware without a PS3. Sorry.

psvpwner

Trophies
XP
Country
I wouldn't advice you to update!

Sony did indeed only remove the games that are used to exploit the latest firmware (3.36), but the exploit games for 3.18/3.20 (they're basically the same and 3.20 has no additional security over 3.18) are still in the store.
What you need though is to use an up-to-date PlayStation 3 (borrow someone else's if you don't have one yourself, you only need to use it once in order to get your PS TV activated anyway... use it to log into your PSN account that you will also use with the PS TV you're hacking) to download the games you bought from the PSN store. It's the only way you can put the games on your PS TV without updating it.
Once you've put one game on the PS TV it will be activated to your PSN account, which will allow you to use any other PS TV / PS Vita activated with the same account to download games that you put on a memory stick which you move between the devices. Or you could download the games on one PS TV, back them up to Content Manager (preferrably QCMA running on your PC) and copy them back to your low firmware PS TV.

Here's a complete tutorial on the trick I'm talking about: http://wololo.net/talk/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=40302

If you were to update though, you would eliminate any chances of getting any future native hack based on the Webkit exploit that was patched after 3.20 (if we're lucky it could lead to a full blown CFW for the Vita environment, not just the PSP emu). Sure, it might allow you to hack the PSP emulator of the device without using a PS3, but is it really worth it while giving up the Webkit exploit?

You'll also lose access to the publicly available trick of running the package installer if you update beyond 3.20.

D

Deleted-355425

3.20 is the same as 3.18, all the eCFW and emulators run perfect on both.. all you need to do is have a ps3 and follow the guide on wololo.net to activate the vita tv and you will be well away. I cant tell you enough how nice it is to use a dual shock on the PS1/PSP/Snes games on the big tv :)

abweichung

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the responses, that cleared up some questions prior to undertaking this.

I do have another question though regarding CEF TN and ARK.

Is one better that the other? Is there any preference?

Also, am I able to play PSOne games through the PSP emulator (like you can on a PSP with CFW) or do they need to be loaded differently?

Thanks again.

psvpwner

Trophies
XP
Country
TN-V and ARK are both kernel exploits that grant you full access to the emulated PSP environment, but the difference is that TN-V focuses on providing a full classical PSP CFW experience with the XMB.

As for PS1, you can load those through TN-V (and maybe ARK too, idk) but you get a better experience if you use the PS1 loader that requires you to buy Tekken 2 or XS Moto 2/Sports superbike 2 (different names depending on your region). That loader does not currently work the PS TV but look out for TN-X that's hopefully coming out in the spring/summer. It will support the PS TV too!

The reason you want this emulator over the one in the PSP environment is that it runs directly in the Vitas PS1 emulator and gives you better performance, fully working sound and the ability to use all the extended buttons (the back touchpad acting as L2/L3/R2/R3 really) and the second analogue stick of the Vita. Also it lets you scale the video output more nicely!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1