Hacking Protip - Nintendo focres update when sent in for service.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think this might only become a concern in future when they could be quietly returning revised hardware.
That has always been my biggest fear, the warranty in that case for me would be worth nothing and there's a huge amount of bad switches out there.

My new switch on 3.02 already had battery drain while OFF which seems fixed now and one day was making a kind of electric vibration and small buzz sound when I put it in some position above my Nvidia Shield tablet, maybe is something to do with the case magnets...

I didn't even tested the dock yet neither I plan to.

First day I get CFW I will fully mod my Switch for better cooling including using Artic MX-4 thermal paste all over the place, I want to add coppers lots of copper and moar copper everywhere :)

I even asked on eBay to a seller if their copper tape can be used as a cooler for smartphones but they don't know either, they say they will ask their supplier but never give me an answer:wacko:

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can't without replacing the motherboard, and wouldn't do it even if they could
Incorrect. Nintendo could absolutely do this if they wished. They have the keys to sign a firmware which means they could easily modify an old firmware to a newer build number repack/sign the update and install it. This wouldn't be anything they would ever do but is absolutely possible for them. Hell once the bottom hack for the switch drops it will be possible for standard users not that it would be very useful....

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Incorrect. Nintendo could absolutely do this if they wished. They have the keys to sign a firmware which means they could easily modify an old firmware to a newer build number repack/sign the update and install it. This wouldn't be anything they would ever do but is absolutely possible for them. Hell once the bottom hack for the switch drops it will be possible for standard users not that it would be very useful....
Nintendo support would not have the authority to access the raw source code, let alone modify it in a way that changes the number of efuses that are allowed to be burned on a specific firmware

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Here they tell that on the store... They told that to my friend, but he ended up asking for money back and bought PSVR...

His Brand new PS4 Pro also burned out in just a few months, Sony repaired it, it seems like they gave the same console they did some small scratches in it, it was still smelling like burn, but the HDD came clean with all data erased, no saves, no nothing too...
But with a PS4 you can backup your saves to either a USB or Cloud.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the problem is his console simply blacked out... I bet the power supply burned, so no way to turn it on to move saves to PSN or USB... and he had automatic save backup disabled since he had game sharing with his brother, so his main console was his bro console ;)

I don't think the HDD burned or got damaged, Sony was just a bitch to erase it and they also didnt update to the last FW that came out almost when he sent for repais, I'm sure it came out before even the console arriving to Sony, but since it was on a not exploitable FW I think Sony didnt bothered updating since the FW it had wasnt already publicly exploited ;).

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They've been doing this since the Wii days, there's nothing new :lol:
It's more like a well known thing by now.
You send it for service -> They send it back update to latest FW at the time of shipment.

That's how it has been for the Wii, DSi, 3DS, Wii U and the Switch now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/e7BTm5WxMlw?si=YB0d6BWQ9YsaherL