ProtectMii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by thesund0g, May 20, 2010.

May 20, 2010

ProtectMii by thesund0g at 11:25 AM (1,333 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. thesund0g
    OP

Member thesund0g GBAtemp Fan

Antarctica
    After running checksums on some of my WBFS files I've noticed a few have become corrupted on more than one occasion. I always do a safe eject and run chkdsk regularly, so I suspect something else is to blame. I've yet to be able to trace out the cause, so to help counteract this problem and avoid having to re-rip, I made a little batch file to automatically create and verify parity data for me.
    Code:
    @echo off
    for /R \wbfs %%z in (*.wbfs) do (
    ÂÂecho Working with variable "%%z"
    ÂÂecho Titleid is %%~nz
    ÂÂif exist "%%~pnz.par2" (
    ÂÂÂÂpar2 v "%%~pnz.par2"
    ÂÂÂÂecho Errorlevel was %errorlevel%
    ÂÂÂÂpause
    ÂÂÂÂ)
    ÂÂif not exist "%%~pnz.par2" (
    ÂÂÂÂecho %%~pnz.par2 not found.ÂÂCreating...
    ÂÂÂÂpar2 c -r10 -n1 -v "%%~pnz.par2" "%%~pnz.wbf?"
    ÂÂÂÂ)
    )
    Save this as ProtectMii.bat and throw it into your wbfs folder along with par2 0.4. Now run ProtectMii from the wbfs folder. It should walk the tree, verify the par2 data if it exists for a given title, and generate it if it doesn't. Please let me know if you run into any bugs -- all my wbfs files are in one folder, so recursion may require a tweak.

If one of the wbfs files gets damaged, you can rebuild it with "par2 r titleid.par2" and poof -- magic. If there were documentation on the errorlevel handling, you could have the batch file do it automagically on failure.

Now, as a bonus, you can burn your backups to DVD-R with a copy of QuickPar, it's essentially portable. The disc can theoretically be up to 10% scratched/unreadable but still be rebuilt 100%. You can adjust the redundancy settings to above 10% if you want, or change from WBFS to ISO files if that's your thing, just edit the batch file.

Let me know if this ends up helping any of you, I might improve upon it then.

I think my next project will be that incremental NAND timemachine I brought up, except for SNEEK NANDs (so it can run PC-side, I still can't code for shit on Wii).

2. Bitbyte

Member Bitbyte GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    A link would be handy.

3. thesund0g
    OP

Antarctica
    Connection blinked on the 1st post. Edited to include the batch file.

4. Wiiwu

Member Wiiwu GBAtemp Regular

Hong Kong
    I'm not sure if you are aware, recently wimm's set of tools added a new feature capable of checking for corruption at the the sector/block level using the iso/wbfs's own embedded hash.

It will be even better for par, if we can get officially verified par files from a site and on top of verifying also use it to repair corruption.

5. scottieb99

Member scottieb99 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    How do I transfer this to a wbfs formatted drive?

6. thesund0g
    OP

Antarctica
    This is designed for a FAT32/NTFS drive. To get it to work with WBFS partitions, you'd either need to install that low-level WBFS driver (forgot the name, sorry, and I'm not sure if it'd work or not) or extract the games and create parity from that. I did the latter back when FAT32 WBFS file support didn't exist yet.

7. thesund0g
    OP

Antarctica
    That would be great, but I don't know if parity data would be considered copywrited or not. Interesting question. I wike Wimm's tools a lot and would love to see parity generation abilities included in the mix.