Pros to Downgrading to System Menu 3.2?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by machomuu, Mar 20, 2011.

Mar 20, 2011
  1. machomuu
    OP

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    What is the upside to downgrading the Wii System Menu to 3.2, when I first hacked my Wii 2 years ago, I noticed guides on how to downgrade to 3.2 and alot of people had actually done it and while I understand how to do it, I'm wondering...what's the point?

Moreover, what's the downside to being on System Menu 4.3 (with the latest hackmii installed), that's what I'm currently on (updated through Brawl), but why is it that people avoid 4.3?

Sorry, I'm not one to usually ask noobish questions like this, but it's been piquing my curiosity for years.

2. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    Youre right theres no point in downgrading.
    But theres no point in upgrading either really.
    System menu is irrelevant in regards of playing games ioss are relevants.
    in 4.3 you cant use bannerbomb that is all.

3. machomuu
    OP

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Thanks for the info.
    Actually, the only reason I updated to 4.3 anyway was simply because I already had Brawl and saw no reason in not updating.

4. megafanzero

Newcomer megafanzero Member

United States
    To be honest, the only real difference between SM 3.X and 4.X is the sd card menu (and the string compare/trucha bug, which is present

5. PPSainity

Member PPSainity Blinded by Science

Canada
    The whole issue behind downgrading is driven by what tools and exploits are available at the time to gain access to the Wii. At the time when all the guides said 3.2 was the best SM to be on was when Nintendo started to block the Twilight Hack.

Currently, SM 4.3 poses no real obstacle in terms of exploits except that they are all game disc based, and the current HBC runs fine without being deleted. Some still recommend SM 4.1 over 4.2 & 4.3 as the BannerBomb Hack still works and 4.2 & 4.3 do not add anything in terms of functionality being solely anti-homebrew/piracy updates.

In the end, it comes to personal choice. If you own a game that has an exploit for 4.3 then you can upgrade to 4.3 without worry (Use homebrew like ModMii to do this and not any official process). If you don't own any games that have an exploit for 4.3, then stick with SM 4.1.

Edit: WiiBrew has a great writeup on each SM release in terms of features and exploits. System Menu - WiiBrew

-[]D

6. paced98

Newcomer paced98 Advanced Member

United States
    I still have 4.2u LOL and wii shop channel still works

7. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    If you use modmii or even have the latest HBC version, you most likely won't even need that game with an exploit.
    -The HBC won't be deleted, so if you do an official update afterwards, you can still access it to reinstall the cIOS'es (and bootmii?) that got removed.
    -modmii will manually install/update whatever cIOS'es and channels are outdated, but won't install stubs or try to delete the HBC.

I'd also like to mention the complete softmod guide also has a nice writeup on the downgrading issue: linky (it's a bit outdated as it doesn't mention AHBPROT. But it's still very well worth to read).

8. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    As far as I know, region free is patched by Ninty on 4.3 when using modchips.
    Sm 4.0 and up have the sd menu.

Also 4.3 has lots of piracy precautions but, they can easily be patched if you have a game that has an exploit.
    If you installed the Latest HBC, there is no need to stay on a lower SM than 4.3.

If you want all the functions of 4.3 but don't have an exploit for 4.3 better stay on lower SM just to be save. ( although the latest HBC won't be erased when updating )

So really there are no real cons or pro's between both ( except for the sd menu maybe )
    Also the fact that Priiloader can't be used on 3.2 could be a reason to update to a higher SM.

9. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    There isn't any advantage of being on 3.2U in comparison to the 4.X menus, as the added SD Card menu function is really the only big feature that separates the two. If you are planning on downgrading the System Menu while on 4.X, you can't go further down from 4.1 without bricking the Wii, if I remember correctly. There is no point in downgrading the System Menu. 3.2 was previously the best System Menu in the time of the Twilight Hack, but progress since then has made 3.2 obsolete.

4.3 has no advantage over the previous iterations of 4.1 and 4.2, as the feature list is practically identical, minus the addition of IOS58 which added USB2.0 support I believe. 4.3 also blocked the Bannerbomb exploit, as mentioned above, so you're required to hack your Wii with a game like Smash Bros. Brawl or one of those LEGO titles.

10. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    Hmm...this sentence is a bit misleading (not intentionally, of course).
    1. It's actually the 4.3 update that has the piracy precautions. Once you get through that, there is nothing to worry. The updated channels and IOS'es won't do antipiracy checks or anything of that kind.
    2. likewise, "patched" isn't the correct term. Most of the updated stuff is just fine, so it's not like you change much of what the firmware installs. Readding the homebrew channel isn't editting the setup in any way. Replacing the stubs with cIOS'es is only editting if you look at it in a very narrow vision. So really only reinstalling priiloader or bootmii (as boot2) is something you could consider 'patching'.

11. bazamuffin

Member bazamuffin RESIDENT DILF

United Kingdom
    I think some people avoid 4.3 as they assume it wipes out all possibilty of hacking. Even people who have already softmodded assume its gonna set them back 3 years. I remain at 4.2 as I don't see any benefit over 4.3. IF i need to re-mod then I can use bannerbomb even though I have SSBB and could use Smashstack if I was on 4.3.

As for going to 3.2, well Ive got 3 emu nands running on Switch2Uneek (2.0E, 3.2E, 4.3U) and I can say that 3.2 looks outdated and doesn't really offer anything over 4.x. I tend to use the SD card menu rather than apps like Mighty Channels/Triiforce as I feel that these apps gives lower compatibility. Just my 2p's worth