1. jboom91

OP jboom91 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'm well versed in the hacking of the v1 switch as I have done it twice now with two switches in the last month. I am having horrible luck where I bought these last two v1 switches from ebay the first one was brand new but out of the box had a patch of dead pixels near the center, my second one from eBay was used but I had made certain to ask the seller to confirm no screen issues, but ended up also having a dead pixel and a scratch on the screen.

I really like the switch and how I'm able to softmod and hack it, and besides the screen issues I've had I was completely happy with the modded v1 switch. But I am weary about further screen issues as it is a complete deal-breaker for me. I play the switch like 95% of the time in handheld mode.

So now I'm debating if I should try to get a third v1 switch which I feel nervous about or try getting a new v2 switch and sending it to someone to be hardmodded. Basically here's my list of questions:

1)Is the v2 switch better quality than the v1 besides the battery life, will I have better luck with the screens not having pixel issues with the v2?

2)If I got the v2 where would I go to find reliable hardmodders as it seems impossible to find when searching the web?

3)Or can the v2 be bought with the chip already installed, if so is anybody able to point me in that direction?

4)With the v2 can I use atmosphere as I really like it and am familiar with it, if so is there any limitations or complications to using atmosphere with v2 vs v1?

I appreciate any advice and help, thanks!

GCS likes this.
  2. GCS

GCS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Turkey
    I can only answer your 1st and 4th questions since I don't live in US.
    1) As much as I know, Mariko Switch didn't improve on the screen side.
    4) For now you can't use the atmosphere on v2 or Lites. You can only run SX OS on them. But in the future there might be support for atmosphere on Mariko.
    Overall if you are generally playing in handheld, I think you should buy a lite and solder sx lite on it.

Last edited by GCS, Sep 17, 2020
    jboom91 likes this.
  3. masagrator

masagrator The patches guy

Poland
    4) No Android, Linux, Atmosphere, Hekate and everything exclusive for them (mitm services, dmnt:cht apps, etc.) on v2

jboom91 likes this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    IIRC someone said they are using cheaper screens in the later Switches (before it was random which one you got) but it might not be a noticeable difference. You had really bad luck with that Switch, dead pixels are rare, but having multiple of them in the center is exceptionally rare. It's possible the seller had already opened it and knew, and that's why he was selling it, I don't believe the Switch boxes are sealed, so you wouldn't be able to tell if it had been opened. This is why I only buy expensive electronics from a proper store with a warranty. I hope you got it returned.

Basically only SX OS works on v2 right now, and a lot of sysmodules don't work either. That isn't likely to improve for a while, none of the devs want to support TX so they can't work on adding Mariko support either, since they have no means of hacking them. Once a softmod is available for Mariko things will improve, but at that point, SX Core/Lite will be useless.
    The one benefit you get is much improved battery life. For me, that's not a big enough deal to outweigh all the drawbacks. Though I might get a tablet only Mariko once they are hackable with softmods.

jboom91 likes this.
  5. jboom91

OP jboom91 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Thanks everyone I appreciate all the replies! I now am very confident I will get another v1 switch as I love the open source nature of the modding. Back to searching on eBay! Unless anyone knew of actual retail locations that still had either used or new v1 switches, but I imagine that's extremely unlikely.

Last edited by jboom91, Sep 18, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - modding, switch,