Hacking pros and cons of downgrading?

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so with gateway 9.2 support i am now presented with the option to downgrade from 9.2 back to 4.5.
i have a nand backup of my current 9.2 backed up and tucked away in multiple locations including online.
now my questions are

• whats the good and bad of downgrading?
  • whats the risk ratio?
  • should i even downgrade?
  • is dealing with my gateway easier? e.g booting up speed and accessibility (ease of use?)
  • are there more features for 4.5 or 9.2, what do i gain and lose

Chrushev

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So i have a question about downgrading. Lets say I have a game like Link Between worlds (I believe it has update 6.0 on it), does this mean it requires 6.0? so if I downgrade then Ill only be able to play it if booted into Emunand?

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So i have a question about downgrading. Lets say I have a game like Link Between worlds (I believe it has update 6.0 on it), does this mean it requires 6.0? so if I downgrade then Ill only be able to play it if booted into Emunand?

Probably... Or just use region-spoof with some CIAs

twicefalles

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there is still the save encryption problem with 4.5 though, right?
What kind of homebrew does run on 4.5 and not on 9.0?

the3dsguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i think the best thing about downgrading is you can use the DS profile exploit which is local on your 3ds which in turn can run emunand 9.4.
this removes the need needing a internet connection should you need to reboot your 3ds OR shut it off to save battery.

as well, the exploit website wouldnt be up forever, lets say 10 years down the line you want to revisit your 3ds. well too bad.

remember while in gateway mode your battery dies MUCH faster in sleep mode.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Pros :

1) Exploit running without internet (useful for a handheld system or to be able to still use it if Gateway website is down).
2) Make the BlueCard working again without having to install a patch.

Cons :

1) Sometimes, gateway launcher crash when you boot it on 4.x, rarely but it can happen. Didn't saw the 9.x crash yet so it seems more stable.
2) You'll probably have the problem with the save incompatibility on Classic Mode, when 9.x Classic Mode can now read retail saves played on higher firmware.
3) Downgrading is risky, you might end up with a bricked 3DS.

twicefalles

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
as well, the exploit website wouldnt be up forever, lets say 10 years down the line you want to revisit your 3ds. well too bad.

there is a backup on scmods and you can run it on your webserver as far as I know, there was a thread about this but I didn't go into detail

sweatbox

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think the best of 4.5 is, that you can get to use Gateway without inet connection / go to there website.
You can install the Profilehack und you are ready.

Edit0: Ninjaed by davhuit :ph34r:

Edit1: After downgrading and install/execute the DS Profile hack the nag disappeared

the3dsguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
there is a backup on scmods and you can run it on your webserver as far as I know, there was a thread about this but I didn't go into detail

unfortunately the local server takes time to set up, if you're out in the street or over at grandpas place and your 3DS dies on you before you plug into a charger port. well you're kinda screwed, unless you have a smart phone and very good with setting up local server. not everyone is good at those kinds of things.

just fyi, my spouse has a pink 9.2 3ds regular, i downgraded her unit with no problems whatsoever. i followed the instructions to the tee and checked the md5 for every file.

justln

Trophies
XP
Country
unfortunately the local server takes time to set up, if you're out in the street or over at grandpas place and your 3DS dies on you before you plug into a charger port. well you're kinda screwed, unless you have a smart phone and very good with setting up local server. not everyone is good at those kinds of things.

just fyi, my spouse has a pink 9.2 3ds regular, i downgraded her unit with no problems whatsoever. i followed the instructions to the tee and checked the md5 for every file.

There's an Android app that does everything for you, no root needed.

Reactions: twicefalles

xdarkmario

Philosopher
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok downgrading looks good and all but I'm not willing to loose all my retail saves. My plan was to one by one backup all my cartridges saves and put them in emunand. I'm not trying to start again.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
in 10 years (a lot less i guarantee) you will not need any card... in early psp and wii homebrews you required a game exploit, now what you need is to just shove something in the memory card, launch an exploit and install custom firmware to the device...

when psp could be hacked through a pandora battery, then people start to sell pre-made batteries with the hack ready

the ds only needed a r4 because there is no way to connect a standard memory like a sd card\memory stick or usb stick.. its possible to explot it via download play but its not praticall...

flashcarts only exist so someone can make money... if there was interest on the device we could run cfw\homebrew\roms easily like we do on other consoles... smea was just one guy, probably a young one with knowledge and free time and he enabled homebrew on the damn thing...

what makes you think that flashcarts will still be a thing in some years from now?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok downgrading looks good and all but I'm not willing to loose all my retail saves. My plan was to one by one backup all my cartridges saves and put them in emunand. I'm not trying to start again.
The retail cart saves is the big sticking point for me. I need to research and find out what encryption each uses. Hopefully a solution is found.

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada

https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-gateway-3ds-loader-android.378234/

Here's an android app that lets you launch a gateway exploit without internet, and requires 2 steps to activate, no skills needed, and will be up forever, since it's an offline mode app.

However you still have to launch the application and go through the same process every time you want to play, which is why most people chose to downgrade, because all you need on 4.x is just go into Nintendo DS Profile and you're in.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I didn't know they made an MSU cart for the Genesis.... I knew about the SNES one and the...