Proposed rules change

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by FAST6191, Oct 31, 2006.

Oct 31, 2006

Proposed rules change by FAST6191 at 10:09 AM (942 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. FAST6191
    OP

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I thought the what is best threads had pretty much gone away but I was wrong.

To this end I would suggest a rule change to prevent asking "what is best?", purely as any such thread question is highly subjective and usually (but not always) devolves into a fanboy pissing match (be a fan of a developer or even a console if you must people but being a fanboy of a flashcart is just plain moronic).

If you want a case study the doom9.org forums (a video based forum fairly similar in size/activity and levels/range of discussion: http://forum.doom9.org/ ) implemented just such a rule and things have worked out very well, you guys have extensive reviews, comparisson of features for different items and guides/faqs so it is not as though people will be missing out on things, I am sure a quick request to the members will yield some updated guides/FAQs and such as well.

If that last few paragraphs were just the ramblings of an idiot tell me now but I sense I am not the only one.

2. Hitto

Member Hitto MKDS Tournament Winner

France
    I hadn't been to this place for a long time, but it does seem fanboy-free. But it's all about freeware video players, not a piece of plastic you have to pay for (in most cases).

Remember, most people who ask the "what is best" questions are fucking idiots who can't take the time to read existing reviews. I don't think anybody can code around stupidity.

3. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Australia
    I like the way Hitto describes it [​IMG]

I don't see too much of a problem at the moment.

4. Athlon-pv

Member Athlon-pv GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Some people actually like the whiner threads [​IMG]
    no fun without your "I NEED PATCH FOR SC I CANT PLAY" threads [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Got a good point there; making a rule against it is no good if the group of people it's targetting don't bother reading around the board enough to notice the rules in the first place. [​IMG]

Yes these threads are irritating as hell, especially when the same questions come up time and time again. But I think we're stuck with them.

That being said, stickying one or two of the "what is best" threads might deter the lazy from posting by giving them somewhere obvious to start. Or at least get all similar queries in one place. Hm, dunno

6. tolax

Newcomer tolax Advanced Member

United States
    If you are adding rules - add one that bans people who do the 'woot woot been waiting for this game - best release of the year' for all the 'lame' games (especially gba) that are released.

It's dull and seems almost epidemic

7. tama_mog

Member tama_mog Kupo

United States
    I agree with FAST6191 to some extent, there are quite a bit of these threads and people who are fans of certain flashcarts (fanboys) don't help the situation by adding subjective commentary...it's even worse when they're flat wrong due to misinformation or lack of knowledge and it adds to the confusion. The guides are clearly on the front page and serve as a good start for research. If I had to give my 2 cents, I'd advocate to ban people who complain about roms not being released early enough...very disrespectful as well as pointless threads.

8. Mucuna

Member Mucuna GBAtemp Fan

Brazil
    How about:

GBAtemp.net

HOME REVIEWS GUIDES RELEASES SEARCH WHAT IS THE BEST FLASHCART?

9. phuzzz

Former Staff phuzzz Hooha!

United States
    We have rules against asking for roms; that doesn't stop some people.