Proposal - Signature Size Restrictions

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by jumpman17, Jan 12, 2004.

Jan 12, 2004
  1. jumpman17
    OP

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Please, can we change the size restrictions? We would still of course need rules, but the current ones are way too tight. This never seemed too much of a problem until a recent topic. Someone mentioned that a sig was too big and the artist dumped his great sig and is now discouraged. Here are the rules I suggest.

1) Under 50kb file size for those with 56k modems.
    2) Width must be 550 pixels or less, that's a little under the size of the space of GBATemp's length of a 800x600 screen.
    3) Height must be 175 pixels or less, that should be plenty of room to do your thing.

Here's where it gets a little tricky though.

4) Don't make it 550x175, that's too big. Make it something like 500x100 or 300x175.

I hope all this makes sense. Can this be discussed at the next staff meeting?

2. dEC0DED

Newcomer dEC0DED

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    only as long as its not as big as peoples wallpapers on thier PCs

3. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    I'd like to see the sig restictions removed completely and instead the members just use there common sense on what size to make a sig.
    I brought this up and it will be discussed at the next staff meeting which is currently (it's not absolutely positive yet) set for 1 week from now.

4. bajibbles

Member bajibbles Ragnafreak

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    Well, the thing is even if those with 56k modems are restricted (cruel, btw) they will still view the larger files and get bogged down.

I understand what you're saying, though... Ronin's sig is magnificent, but its out of restrictions. You can't play favorites here. I think that youre dimension restrictions are OK, 550 a bit big maybe 450, bit the size limit should stay. (Ronin's sig is well under that, btw).

5. Inu268

Member Inu268 woof

Featured Posts:
    Brazil
    that would work,BUT most of the member here dosent have common sense [​IMG] and it would be a trouble for the staff to keep removing oversized signatures.....i remember the evil face signature removed by the staff thing......hummmm....550x200 would be the best
    @ben-i think jumpman mean under 50kb not just for those with 56k modem,but in respect of those with 56k modem.....this may sound confusing,but read it 3 or 4 times and you will understand....

6. Opium

Former Staff Opium PogoShell it to me ™

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    Yes the size limit should stay, I forgot to mention that [​IMG]
    But you should just use your own judgement as to what size the sig is. That's what i'd like to see anyway.

@Inu, I trust most members to have a reasonable size sig [​IMG] If not it's not a big problem to ask them to remove it. When we didn't have sig restrictions there wasn't that big of a problem. I think this was all blown out of proportion a bit.

7. dEC0DED

Newcomer dEC0DED

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    after reading in the thread Sig For Kotainka2 Â2004 Ronin and how Ronin's art had to be reduced in size, I realized how stupid the restrictions are.

I personally feel sorri for Ronin and his art and think that the next meeting should say that all moderators of GBAtemp.net should have unlimited siggi size.

8. Inu268

Member Inu268 woof

Featured Posts:
    Brazil
    that wouldnt help,it would cause more trouble......the rules need to be the same for everybody!!!and in the topic you said,the signature wasnt for ronin,it was for another person,then unlimeted size for mods wouldnl help at all.....and there is a need for the rules,we are talking about change the limit for somethin bigger,but unlimeted is nonsense.......and dont think i am following you or anything,i was just lighting some things....

9. mole_incarnate

Former Staff mole_incarnate Watermelon!

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    Although its against my eithics as a designer to say so, making it bigger would be O K, as long as it isnt over 500x150 (thats PLENTY big), and I wouldnt be strict on enforcing it, ie in ronin's case, its really the filesize that counts, uner 50kb should still apply. Remember, thats about 10-12 seconds to load on a 56k!

10. Dais

Banned Dais Banned

Featured Posts:
    United States
    Most people are already posting all around the place with a tribute to their pointless vanity and overall worthlessness permanently nailed to each and every thing they say.....who cares if it rapes some people's bandwidth?

11. dEC0DED

Newcomer dEC0DED

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    [​IMG]

I agree with this guy! [​IMG]

12. esrion

Member esrion Poetic Spammer of Justice

Featured Posts:
    Taiwan
    if you don't like sigs, just use the option in your control panel to turn them off, wise guy.

13. lum

Member lum Hunter lvl

Featured Posts:
    Australia
    yeah, i agree, hopefully the 400x100 thing is removed and is based on filesize rather than size size, u have my full support Ronin.

14. Tempest Stormwin

Former Staff Tempest Stormwin Kweisatz Haderach

Featured Posts:
    Canada
    While I am of the same opinion Opium put forward, I see reason to quantifying "reasonable" to make it easier to enforce (another concern we hear recently). Mole and Jumpman present reasonable examples of what "reasonable" means, in numbers.

The only part I'm certain of keeping, though, is the 50 kb limit.

-Tempest out.-

15. Dragonlord

Member Dragonlord Linux-Dragon of quick wit and sharp tongue

Featured Posts:
    Switzerland
    I donno... size restrictions you really need. There are people not having a relation for reasonable. A little bit bigger would not hurt (perhaps then my sig text could be better read) but it`s not a must.

Filesize restrictions a must. I don`t know for what you need 50kb or more. My flash sig has anims, interaction and all the stuff and is around 15kb which I think is a nice size for 56 modem people. Having restrictions also enforces people to use file formats and bit depths correctly [​IMG]

16. KotaInka2

Member KotaInka2 Fanboy Educator

Featured Posts:
    United States
    [K0R] already linked to the now closed topic which contains my view of the matter. However, I will summarize, here, those views for those who don't wish to read through essay posts.

KB size restriction of 50K = RULE, strictly enforced by the staff for the protection of the dial up portion of the community, even though it is possible to turn off avas/sigs altogether. I know there is the option to turn them off, but I STILL wholeheartedly concur with this rule.

Visual space restriction of 400x100 = GUIDELINE, left open to interpretation by the staff, as this seems designed to prevent overly large space hogging sigs. If this method is used, no increase in the 400x100 is really needed, but it still wouldn't hurt to reduce the burden on a staff judgement call.

17. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

Featured Posts:
    United Kingdom
    NO NO NO NO!

Signature restrictions must not be reduced. 400x100 is easily big enough...remember there are people here using 800x600.
    The height is the worse problem anyway seeing how the larger the height the more page scrolling required (nightmare on browsers less than 1024x768).

As for the file size...being on 56k I know all about this. 50kb is easily enough so be thankful for it...if it's larger than 50kb learn to optimise your work for god sake...it's not hard and most people could get their work down to less than 1/4 of the original size, with hardly any, if any, visible appearance.

If any more restrictions should be enforced it should be on people abusing the avatar settings, or lack of should I say, in terms of filesize...

[​IMG]

18. Garp

Member Garp GBATemp's Wandering Gnome

Featured Posts:
    United States
    OK...time for the Resident Wimp to open his big mouth and jump in here, if anyone cares about what I think.
    As far as the 50Kb limit, I'm all for that. I think it was a great idea, a wonderful line to draw, and is perfect for people regardless of their connection. No problems there, and I think everyone agrees with that, so we'll just toss that one out the window and move on to the next one.
    Size restrictions. Now this is a trickier topic. The question is whether it should be 400X100 or less or more. I am definitely opposed to less. Those of us with 1280X1024 can barely see the smaller sigs, and I would hate to see good work shrunk down even more. I am also opposed, however, to sigs that are too excessive. How excessive? Let's say anything over 500 or 150. Here's my thought, for what it's worth. Keep 400X100 as the standard. HOWEVER, make it able to be appealed in certain situations or needs. There are times, such as the recent example, where an absolutely gorgeous piece of work is done and would simply not be feasable in a smaller detail. In these instances, they could appeal to the admin for an exemption for that particular piece. This would allow leeway to be done, as long as everyone trusted the admin not to be biased in any way, but still maintain a strict guideline. I think there are VERY few occasions where anything needs to be in excess of 400X100, but I do think the occasions exist as has been seen recently.
    Upon appeal, the admin will consider the work itself as well as the proposed size, and consider whether this will affect those that are browsing at 800X600. If it is doable and it is considered to be necessary for the piece, it will be allowed. If it is not acceptable, it won't be allowed. Simple as that. That's my two cents for what it's worth. I'm going to shut up now. [​IMG]

19. Ruth

Banned Ruth Banned

Featured Posts:
    I think something around 500 x 150 accomodates most of the larger "work". I guess you have to appreciate the fact that an artist who creates something of their own, can't just shrink it down to 400 x 100. It just doesn't work...
    I know not everyone cares for sigs, graphics or art, but there are people who do, and so long as the file size is small, I don't see it to be a problem to allow the sig to be larger.

20. TyrianCubed

Member TyrianCubed Gamer 1989 to present

Featured Posts:
    Italy
    You couldn't say it better Garp...as usual [​IMG]
    You're great pal [​IMG]
    I agree with you!