Proper way to sit and play a handheld.

Reploid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I saw tuts that tells you how to properly sit when you write, when you working on the computer, when you drive a car, when wathc TV, when you reading, but never saw one that tells you how minimaze stamina loss and keep your back healty when you try to play a game. Just resently I spent couple of hours with PSP (haven't done this in a while) in the car and now one of my blades is hurt a bit.

So I wanna to create a little exp-share discussion: which way to handheld a handheld videogame console (or a smartphone) you have found to be most comftable even for a big game session?

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I play my handhelds on crowded trains. Sometimes I stand and play but because I leave for work pretty early, I usually get to sit down. It can be a little fiddly if you're crowded by people but the Gods of Gaeming give the strength to carry on gaeming.

Not he most comfy way to gaem in all honesty.

Reactions: raulpica

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Ive never played lying down I don't think, generally just sit as I would if I was watching tv. Don't normally play for long periods of time though

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
I always thought it's like whatever floats your boat. My favorite position to play my handhelds is to sit in my ecopuf, as I usually play at home, and I've yet to find a more comfortable one. When I'm playing on the go, I don't really look for the optimal position, I'm just sitting on the bus, deciding to take out my 3DS, and I don't perform a 5 minutes choreography to look for the best way to sit.

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I must agree, I also play on my back.

I feel awkward gaming in public, but maybe im older then alot of you?
If I play on my back or on my side, I can't keep it up for a long period of time. It's not really that comfortable. If I really want to play for hours, I just sit in a chair or a seat and often change my position a little bit.

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
2320c993_92f3_b20b.jpg

This pretty much sums up my tries to play any handheld in my bed.

Reactions: _kbnft

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Comfortable and best position are different.

The best position to prevent back ache, blade hurting, is to sit at on a chair at a table/desk. keep your back vertical and don't bend the head.
If it's heavily stylus oriented use the console stand provided with Kid Icarus to see in front of you. (I use it for DS too)

But I don't do it often as it's not the most comfortable to sit on a chair for me, I have few positions.

- Sitting position, I take the console in my hands and put them on my legs near the pelvis and bend the head. but it's that position which ends hurting your blades, neck, cervical vertebrae, or your bottom back.

- Sitting position, I take the console in my hands and put the console in front of my head, in hight position, left hand's little finger at the bottom of the console to maintain and stabilize it. (it acts as a console stand)
This is the position I use the most if I can't lay on my bed. but it ends being heavy on the arms, so I switch between this position and the one above.

- My preferred position is laying on my bed, on my back with a pillow behind my blades. I'm almost in a sitting position (between sitting and sleeping position), with legs straight on the bed.
the elbows are laying on the bed, and I'm holding the console in front of my head.
It doesn't have any constrain on the back or the head in this position, but sometime my hands ends numb because of the elbow being on the bed. it might compress the circulation, so I just lift my arms a little and the numbs go away, or I lay on the side a little with the console on the bed.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hardcore players balance on one leg or pull off a handstand. When it's just a challenge to play the game, you know you're doing it right.

Reactions: KingVamp

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I like to play on my bed while laying on my side. Best way to play an handheld ever :D

Although initially comfortable, this position has one serious downside - it gradually makes my arm numb as the weight of my body rests on my forearm until it's completely unbarable.

Although I don't have an absolute favorite, I do like laying a few pillows on my bed and using them like a chair, resting my elbows on my knees as I play. :yay:

Reactions: EZ-Megaman
P

pasc

I must agree, I also play on my back.

I feel awkward gaming in public, but maybe im older then alot of you?
That - I can agree to.

I also agree:

Handheld + Bed = Win !

You can't get this with consoles ( except if you set you room up specially for that reason.)

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Being a RPG, a story type of game where you have to solve puzzles to proceed type of gamer, I make sure that I have my space, so I can think of what I have to do next. In car rides, I always sit at front, none of my sisters or brother's like the front, so I always sit up there and play on my 3DS or DSi, or PSP, or PS Vita.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.