(Proof of Concept) Gamecube games in vWii on Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by djbubba2002, May 31, 2013.

1. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Right. Hopefully, we won't be forced to spend money on an adapter. I'd imagine that it would add extra strain on the disc drive and laser.

2. Phyzoon

Phyzoon Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2009
    Brazil
    I don't have to try it myself, I've been following that thread about the disc adapters, and I do know that while it may be possible to identify the discs, you still wouldn't be able to play it using devolution in it's current state. I've also been aware that the WiiU is capable of running GC games, but being able to to something is way different from actually doing it. This video right here seems to be showing some steps in the right direction.

3. Nintendo Maniac

Nintendo Maniac GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    ...wait, so the excitement isn't due to "holy crap gamecube games actually running on a Wii U" but is actually "holy crap, now ANYONE can run gamecube games on the Wii U".

I guess that makes sense, but the excitement and hype seems a bit...dramatic just for that. Makes it feel like Dolphin never existed or something...

4. Phyzoon

Phyzoon Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2009
    Brazil
    Yes, exactly. Also, for Dolphin, I kinda like being able to play console games on consoles, even tho if it's not the console it was meant to in the first place. Just a thing I have.

5. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Not to mention with Dolphin you have the sound problems... the lock ups... the graphical errors.. and this is on a beast of a gaming laptop.

Get tired of people somehow thinking actually -playing- games on Dolphin is just something that can be -done-.

tmv_josue likes this.
  6. YoshiKart

YoshiKart GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    I'm mostly excited for this because the Wii U is becoming the all-in-one (haha, xbone) console for Nintendo console games. I have emulators down the Nintendo console line in the HBC, along with GC backups via Devo and Wii backups on the Wii. Having the convenience right on vWii separates the line between Wii U games and features, and being able to access the entire history and recent past.

EDIT: typo :T

tmv_josue and the_randomizer like this.
  7. Phyzoon

Phyzoon Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2009
    Brazil
    My point exactly! I also have my 3DS set up to be the All-in-One Nintendo Portable console. Being able to do the same with the WiiU sounds awesome to me :>

YoshiKart likes this.
  8. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

You haven't been following Dolphin recently have you. As of the latest GIT release, most, if not all Gamecube sound issues have been resolved using the HLE audio plugin rewrite. Yes, even streaming audio.

9. Tigran

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Ehh.. Eternal darkness was still skipping and having problems for me.

10. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Some games are more CPU intensive than others unfortunately. But with the AX HLE plugin, games sound nearly perfect, but hopefully programs like Crediar's will get audio streaming.

Ray Lewis likes this.
  11. Tigran

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Well... Honestly I would love to have to eat my words... but I still have problems with Dolphin... so can you give me a link about the HLE program and such? And perhaps good settings for games?

12. Warlord698

Warlord698 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2007
    United States

much less hunt the damn things down (and in some cases pay more than original price of the game)

Ray Lewis and the_randomizer like this.
  13. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Screw that! :rofl2:

Ray Lewis likes this.
  14. Drunk_caterpillar

Drunk_caterpillar Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2013
    Canada
    Some people will, some people won't; I just bought a copy of PSO Ep.1&2 Plus this week because I like to have the original games. Besides, some of us never got rid of our GC collections...

15. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I still have my collection and I have had my system since it came out back in 2001, and it still reads discs. But I don't know why people think having legitimately backed up copies on an HDD is somehow immoral. Not everyone can afford to replace scratched/inoperative game discs, or shouldn't have to. Nothing wrong with collecting or seeking out used games, but users shouldn't have to suffer for the "moral" dilemmas of the author.

Warlord698 likes this.
  16. Oshtoby

Oshtoby Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2006
    United States
    Not only this, but who is buying a Gamecube game helping? Nintendo? The Developers? It's one thing to pirate games still in print, but to pirate a used game is completely different. The devs aren't being helped at all by you buying a used copy of their game. Who are you hurting by pirating games that you can't buy new?

Warlord698 and the_randomizer like this.
  17. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Greedy second-hand sellers, but nothing of importance.

18. Drunk_caterpillar

Drunk_caterpillar Member

Newcomer
    Feb 25, 2013
    Canada
    Say what you will about Gamestop/EB, but my local mom and pop independent game store needs used game sales to stay afloat. I buy new when I can because I want to support developers, but buying used isn't bad either when it's done right.

tmv_josue likes this.
  19. Warlord698

Warlord698 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 9, 2007
    United States
    hell I have a place here called Game Exchange, their bread and butter is all used games/DVD's (I think that ONLY what they deal in). they even had the old school gold Legend of Zelda for NES, three or four actually

20. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

We used to have good second-hand game stores (Play'N Trade, Game Crazy), but all I have left is Gamestop. Sad day indeed.

Ray Lewis and Drunk_caterpillar like this.