(Proof of Concept) Gamecube games in vWii on Wii U

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by djbubba2002, May 31, 2013.

1. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Forgot about direct boot there, lol. Somebody mentioned the 3 core blog and I think it was edited but somebody asked if exploit was used.

2. blaisedinsd

blaisedinsd GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 6, 2012
    United States
    If its easier to add a USB controller it would be nice if devolution could do that. With USB controller support and a disc adapter shouldn't devolution be able to run on wii u and non bc wiis?

3. metroid maniac

metroid maniac An idiot with an opinion

May 16, 2009

On the Wii U, the disc drive may refuse to read GC games even with an adapter.

4. g4jek8j54

g4jek8j54 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 30, 2007
    United States
    Devolution is already able to run on a Wii U. You just can't control anything with any public release right now. As for whether or not it would be easier to implement a USB controller, I don't know the answer to that. Tueidj did say in some YouTube comments that he already had Wii Remote and Classic Controller support added though. As for the disc adapter, according to a user in a different thread, he was able to run a GameCube disc on a Wii that didn't support GameCube discs, so perhaps that would work as well. I would pull that thread up, but I'm on a mobile phone right now. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that the adapter would work on the Wii U anyway...

5. Nintendo Maniac

Nintendo Maniac GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    Here is the thread in question; particularly starting from this post and onward in said thread:
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-isos.342993/page-3#post-4650264

g4jek8j54 likes this.
  6. buckchow

buckchow Member

Newcomer
    Mar 23, 2013
    United States
    From a very brief test I did earlier today, the Wii U drive doesn't spit out GC discs in adapters and sounds like it reads normally when they're inserted. However, the Disc Channel promptly claims the disc can't be read (apparently just because it detects it as a GC disc), so other software that accesses the drive outside of the Disc Channel may be necessary.

I don't have the Wii U anymore to do more tests, so I can't check what it does or doesn't currently do with the latest release of Devolution. :(

g4jek8j54 and kp_centi like this.
  7. Parasite X

Parasite X Banned

Banned
    Jul 6, 2009
    United States
    Katy Tx
    Why does everyone use zelda for a proof of concept why not use mario as a proof of concept.I admit this is good news but I just hate zelda games period.

8. Sage Gaara
    This message by Sage Gaara has been removed from public view by GeekyGuy, Jun 2, 2013, Reason: warez discussion.
    Jun 1, 2013
  9. natkoden

natkoden GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina

You can't possibly hate it if you EVER played at least one Zelda game.

Dedicate an hour to any Zelda game and BOOM, you're hooked for life.

10. Nintendo Maniac

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    It's much more likely that it's doing something very similar to Devolution, that is using a WINE-esque wrapper to run GameCube code natively in Wii mode.
    <snip>

11. Parasite X
    This message by Parasite X has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 5, 2013, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Jun 1, 2013
  12. natkoden
    This message by natkoden has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 5, 2013, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Jun 1, 2013
  13. Nintendo Maniac
    This message by Nintendo Maniac has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 5, 2013, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Jun 1, 2013
  14. Sage Gaara

Sage Gaara Bomberman Aficionado

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    Massachusetts

15. Parasite X
    This message by Parasite X has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 5, 2013, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Jun 2, 2013
  16. Nintendo Maniac
    This message by Nintendo Maniac has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 5, 2013, Reason: Off-topic -rp.
    Jun 2, 2013
  17. Parasite X
    Jun 2, 2013
  18. Nintendo Maniac
    Jun 2, 2013
  19. Parasite X
    Jun 2, 2013
  20. Nintendo Maniac

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    I lol'd

Regardless, we've gone quite off-topic here... So allow me to veer us back on-topic.

Considering this is running in vWii, this should work on a normal Wii as well no? If tueidj keeps up his current pace it's very possible that this would get released before a Devolution revision with extra-controller support ever does.

21. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I'd much rather use Crediar's Gamecube loader than tueidj's.....I'd, uh rather not elaborate as to why on this thread.

22. Nintendo Maniac

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    I think you've already made yourself very clear on why in past posts. ;)

Nevertheless I only own a single USB controller and therefore I wouldn't really be able to get much use out of Crediar's "Devo-clone"...and I don't even like the ergonomics of the PS3 controller anyway >_> (the PS4 pad looks much better however)

the_randomizer likes this.
  23. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Good. Still, we can agree that both Crediar and Tueidj are geniuses when it comes to hacking :P

24. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    While this is great dev work, I have serious agitation. Sneek could help dev work on vWii and likely Maxternal's 3 core project. Gives some protection for nand tinkering and other useful functions. Rehashing old Wii and Gamecube projects is maybe some dev's comfort zones. The heavy hitters named above are likely 2 of the 31. Sdk has been owned already, exploits, and more. It is easier to work within Wii U mode and dev. Anyway, those are announcements I look for. vWii could be great with Sneek. Ports from Wii could be tested. No disrespect to devs.

25. wiismodrome

wiismodrome flubber

Feb 7, 2012
    Sweden
    CleanRip may provide a good test of the Wii U's ability to read Gamecube discs using an adapter.

As for the hackers who have have full access to fOf's findings, I somehow doubt that crediar is included, in part because his programs allow users to play old games without DRM. Great to see his continued progress!

26. Parasite X
    Jun 2, 2013
  27. the_randomizer

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

I'm glad the DRM isn't included, and that Crediar is a genius at hacking :P

28. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    Yet, no drm yet. Also no release promised/announced. Sneek? Other showings? Only saying do not get hopes up. DRM version or not, this dev or another.

29. Nintendo Maniac

Apr 26, 2007
    United States
    There is at least one thing I do hope for - ahbprot support. For whatever reason I was never able to get DM/L to work completely but Devolution worked out-of-the-box since you don't have to install anything on your Wii.

Ray Lewis likes this.
  30. Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis Banned

Banned
    Dec 30, 2012
    United States
    31 respected/secretive devs. Name some greater than Crediar, or the "t" guy as I cannot recall the spelling. Comex, Megazig, Marcan, Sven, and I suspected some others. This type of project looks awesome, frames and graphics looked true to GC. One of those things I will keep eyes out. Sure randomizer will also. Emulation junkie for sure;-)