prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
QUOTE said:
Let me blast a little something from PSP-Hacks’ past: Auraomega’s Project4 — the (in)complete XMB replacement.

Project4 was an attempt to fully replace the XMB — in flash — from the ground up. It featured its own menuing system with the ability to launch homebrew, ISOs and UMD games. Project4 also packed its own set of internals for input, manipulating flash memory, and theme customization. It was a pretty dope project with a great deal of potential.

While Project4 survived half a dozen releases, it was later abandoned like an ugly baby back in ‘08. If you’re a new reader you can familiarize yourself with Project4 right here.

Now, many moons later, Auraomega is back and has one simple question: should Project4 be resurrected, rewritten, and re-released giving it a new home under a new name? Or should the project be scrapped? You answer; your feedback is important.

If let live, Auraomega quotes –

QUOTE said:
I can start work on it and with a bit of luck have a working skeleton available soon. I plan on making it modular to allow for other coders to add to it as well as allow more regular bug fixes and updates, for this reason it is imperative that I have other developers interested as one of the main downfalls of Project4 was that I was working the entire thing myself.

Here’s an idea: team up with Mathieulh and the Utopia Project. A super-cool customized UI on-top a fully customized super-fast lightweight kernel. Sounds pretty tight.

Source: http://www.psp-hacks.com/2010/02/01/projec...ve-or-scrap-it/
Link to Auraomega post on qj.net: http://forums.qj.net/psp-development-forum...n-project4.html

This is awesome news tbh. PSP scene might liven up abit.

Jotokun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad its happening, because of PHA psps like late 2000s and 3000s. From my understanding, you cant flash them because the way XMB works on them is different, but thats a non-issue if you're not using it in the first place. Which would mean I dont have to rely on sleep mode all the time.

If I'm wrong, then that sucks but its still a good project and I want to see it go far.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Jotokun said:
I'm glad its happening, because of PHA psps like late 2000s and 3000s. From my understanding, you cant flash them because the way XMB works on them is different, but thats a non-issue if you're not using it in the first place. Which would mean I dont have to rely on sleep mode all the time.

If I'm wrong, then that sucks but its still a good project and I want to see it go far.

I'm afraid there's going to be no way to flash this into memory just as there's no way of flashin CFW on a late 2000 and 3000. This is due to the motherboard and not the firmware as Sony have blocked an exploit in the hardware which used to be used to access the flash.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
That's incorrect Jamstruth...it's the Pre-IPL and IPL that are causing the issues. You can flash whatever you want to a latter day 2000 or 3000 if you've gained access via the Chickhen, but once done unless you're only making a tiny and safe edit then you're in a big danger of bricking it.

Since this is just a new XMB, and NOT a totally new OS it won't be a new hack for the "difficult" PSP's...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo