ROM Hack [Project] The Great Ace Attorney Fanslation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mujie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The only thing it means is that they'll translate the Japanese script and not change stuff to make the western audience understand better. Jokes, character names, etc.

I mean, what's the news on the other fanlation group?

luyairis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Non-technical jobs are proofreading/editing and translating. For translating, you'll mostly just be editing the lines alone in a text editor (no code). Editing requires code and management, but proofreading? Nope.

calleha

Trophies
XP
Country
@luyairisluyairis well, it's better than nothing.
Also, we can't really complain since you're doing this out if the goodness of your heart.

But I've always wondered...
How can we, whom don't know about the technical side of the project, could help?
I'd VERY much like to help but I don't know how.
And, I'll be taking a vacation in around 3 weeks and would have too much time to invest into this.
This. I'd also very much like to help, but I know next to nothing about 3DS game structure.

Edit: Just saw luyairis' answer, my bad. Well then, I may join and help sometime, but I'm gonna finish the game myself first.

Last edited by calleha,

luyairis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update:

A new link has been created, because Team If's chat would get too big otherwise. Please use this link, it will add you directly into the group. Thanks! (This link will be turned off in several days)

glassnotes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi all,
I just finished DGS last night! I'm a native English speaker, my Japanese is around intermediate level (I understood probably 60-70% of the game clearly), so I'd be happy to help with translation and proof-reading in any way that I can. I'm not sure I'd be so useful over on the technical side of things, though. Shoot me a message on reddit at /u/aeternalnight, or here, if you are still looking for people.

Reactions: 4ur0r and carona

KJ1

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hi all,
I just finished DGS last night! I'm a native English speaker, my Japanese is around intermediate level (I understood probably 60-70% of the game clearly), so I'd be happy to help with translation and proof-reading in any way that I can. I'm not sure I'd be so useful over on the technical side of things, though. Shoot me a message on reddit at /u/aeternalnight, or here, if you are still looking for people.
As @luyairis said before, go to link to join the group! :)

Magianegra

Trophies
XP
Country
There's a youtube channel that is translating the whole game, so you can ask for their help or using their translation

xdsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know much about how this works, but I remember reading in the old thread that there were some limits to what sort of logo you could insert.
Is it not possible to make the logo more closely resemble the official ones?

Typically the font would look something like this:
Apollo_Justice-_Ace_Attorney_logo.jpg

KingDatcom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't know much about how this works, but I remember reading in the old thread that there were some limits to what sort of logo you could insert.
Is it not possible to make the logo more closely resemble the official ones?

The logos used in the English versions of games 1-5 + Edgeworth are meant to be similar to the original Japanese ones.

tumblr_ma2owl7Ut01raawtro1_500.jpg

Remember that Dai Gyakuten Saiban uses a completely different style for the Japanese logo.
latest

The current logo at the top of the thread is a pretty solid adaptation of this.

xdsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That makes sense, thanks for clarifying.

In that case the only real problem I have with the current one is that the A in Ace looks really out of place. Other than that I think it looks fine.

EDIT: Slightly off-topic, but anybody know where I can get a logoless version of the boxart? I'm assuming one was used to create the boxart shown in the OP.

Last edited by xdsh,

Jinnial

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

In that case the only real problem I have with the current one is that the A in Ace looks really out of place. Other than that I think it looks fine.

EDIT: Slightly off-topic, but anybody know where I can get a logoless version of the boxart? I'm assuming one was used to create the boxart shown in the OP.
Here ya go:

876e50b81b840a1ba5a91a2bfadd016e.jpg

It is taller than the box art so you will have to crop it.

SoyAlexPop

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

Nope, I actually untagged the real cover because all the tag-less images were not big enough (example above) and for the logo, I did it before the change in the team, we need to revise everything but something important to note is the difference in the covers, the first 5 games have a clean cover while this one is a lot busier to have an even busier logo.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rather late to the party, but in terms of translating or localizing the script, I think going for a localization in the same vein as previous games is a good idea, especially in regards to jokes that don't work in English, although when characters are speaking Japanese, keeping in the honorifics like "-san" would help separate it from the times they are speaking English, just like in the original Japanese game.

Japanese names for the most part I think should be kept Japanese, although possibly finding an alternative Japanese surname that sounds similar to a character's descendant's surname from earlier AA games might help keep the puns in place. Like maybe something like Ryunosuke Raito instead of Naruhodo. Although it is a change, it gives a solid connection to his descendant for those who aren't overly familiar with the Japanese names and explains why it's Wright in the present (what with the whole early immigrants having their names changed or badly romanized and all), and Raito is a Japanese name, and is additionally based on "Right" itself, which brings the pun full circle.

Long names though, I think could possibly be shortened outside of initial introductions, like people calling Ryunosuke Ryu instead to save space in the dialogue box, even if it's not as "accurate" to the Japanese script so to speak.

Pretty excited for this project and wish you guys the best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1