[Project] The Great Ace Attorney (Dai Gyakuten Saiban) Fan Translation

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by xz11, May 22, 2016.

1. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    Forgive my ignorance but 38 pages is a lot to read, while I have but one simple question.
    Bofore I go on with it, let me say that I fully agree with not "Americanizing" the game since the spirit of it would be completely lost considering the Japanese nature of the game's prologue and protagonist.
    However, here's the question - are you at the very least localizing the character names of people in London as well as purely Japanese jokes and references that make 0 sense in English?
    Because that's kind of a big deal, and in my opinion you really should.

2. 3DSDude_

3DSDude_ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 2, 2016
    Beneath the judge's bench
    I don't know for the british names (I guess they'll simple transliterate them from japanese to english, but take my words with a grain of salt), but as for the jokes/puns they will adapt them so that they will make sense in english.

3. Space_Attorney

Space_Attorney Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    United States
    I've played the demo, listened to the soundtrack, and read through this entire 38 page thread, so I think It's safe to say my body is ready.

4. Uwabami

Uwabami GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    I'm glad you seem to be more open to our way of doing things now that you've tried the demo ;) Regarding the names: we won't change any of them, because most of them are references to the books of Arthur Conan Doyle. Yes, some (not all of them) double as puns that only work in Japanese, but the Doyle references were more important. We will release translation notes alongside to make sure you get the puns, though (let's be honest, not all name puns in the AA series were as obvious as they were in SoJ). Jokes and references will be "localized" if possible, sometimes there's certain reasons that would prevent us from "localizing" them, in that case we'll have a translation note for that, too. Rest assured, we're doing our very best to get it right - after all, we're fans of the series, too :ha:

You poor thing, you read through 38 pages of drama?

lordkaos and Anjiera like this.
  5. Space_Attorney

Space_Attorney Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    United States
    Pretty much, yeah. Also, will the translation notes be in game or separate from the gameyou could also provide a percentage to how much of case 1 you have done amirite.

6. Kamui

Kamui GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    Indonesia
    Anjiera and Fluto like this.
  7. Space_Attorney

Space_Attorney Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    United States
    I've done research on team IF's patterns and I have concluded that the next update will be before 2/13/17.

Fluto likes this.
  8. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    The DGS Division only had one release so far, what the other divisions are doing is not really an indicator for what we do... And it's not like there's a fixed, secret schedule - it's done when it's done™

9. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    Will you guys be also eventually translating DGS2? Since it's pretty obvious Crapcom won't translate it.

10. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    We'll see when we finished up DGS. Also DGS2 doesn't even have a release date yet. But I'm sure a lot of our members would be open to that and I can't imagine the Engine changed that much from DGS1 so with all our research and tools it would probably be easier for us...

11. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    Yeah this is a very far future question, mostly just wanted to gauge the interest of your team if they'd be potentially interested.

12. Lewt

Lewt Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2016
    Gambia, The
    DGS currently on sale over at playasia, just grabbed mine :)
    Looking forward to it

Uwabami likes this.
  13. 1x2x4x1

1x2x4x1 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    United States
    Can I assume you guys are working on the second episode since the demo is out?

14. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    You're of course free to assume whatever you want ;) But the demo is not Episode 1 if you thought that...

dtlux1 likes this.
  15. Pokemonique

Pokemonique Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    So if I'm to understand this correctly: I need a physical Japanese copy of the game to get the patch to work? Sorry if this is obvious, I'm just new to the whole 3DS Hacking stuff, haha.

16. dtlux1

dtlux1 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    United States
    From what I understand, there will be multiple ways to get it to work, HANS on a physical cartridge is one of the ways.

17. mike4001

mike4001 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2016
    Australia
    If you want to stay "legal", then yes.

Buy a physical copy of TGAA , dump the rom file and then apply the patch (you probably also need a copy of Dual Destinies to extract the font which is then used for TGAA).

18. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    It will be a little different this time. We have some measures to cut down on piracy a little. You'll see when we release...

uyjulian and Feroz El Mejor like this.
  19. 1x2x4x1

1x2x4x1 Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2016
    United States
    Instead of "people," shouldn't it be "profiles?"
    And instead of "post mortem," shouldn't it be "autopsy report"?

20. SoyAlexPop

SoyAlexPop GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2015
    Mexico
    Nope

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted