[Project] The Great Ace Attorney (Dai Gyakuten Saiban) Fan Translation

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by xz11, May 22, 2016.

1. xz11
    OP

xz11 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2016
    Canada
    Ah, I did not think you were accusing us. I was just being clear. Also, if you have a degree in Japanese Studies and wish to help us, more translators are always helpful.

As for programming, knowledge of low-level concepts is most definitely needed. If you want to work on the tool, knowledge of C# and WPF is needed.

Something we still need is a person who has knowledge of ARM Assembly.

2. Uwabami

Uwabami GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    Well, I work full time, so I could only help out a bit. I am a programmer, though I haven't done anything in C# in quite a while so I'm a littly rusty there and I definitely don't know ARM Assembly.

I'm still not quite satisfied with your answer. What exactly do you need coded? A converter? For what exactly? If you could list things you need done in detail, I think you might have an easier time finding collaborators.

DarthDub likes this.
  3. xz11
    OP

xz11 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2016
    Canada
    A key part of the script files in the the game are encrypted. We'd like to decrypt that part.

As for tools, we need tools that allow us to insert English text into the game files. I just received information from our programmers that perhaps more people are not needed for this task, so don't worry about it.

4. Anthiflo

Anthiflo Newbie

Newcomer
    May 24, 2016
    France
    Good luck with your project, I can't wait to play it before we start a french translation.

If needed I can help you with graphics, but it seems you already have people for that.

Last edited by Anthiflo, May 24, 2016
  5. I_AM_L_FORCE

I_AM_L_FORCE Unban me from Discord

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Really? An ace attorney without "OBJECTION!" I think recruiting VAs would be cool

6. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    Maybe one thing after the other?

DarthDub likes this.
  7. onepiecefreak

onepiecefreak The Special One

Aug 12, 2015
    Germany
    @Uwabami But xz11 said they doesn't plan to voice changing. Luke doesn't desire to get VAs NOW and IMMEDIATLY. But he would found it cool if it would be implemented later on. Which was denied by xz11.

8. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    Well, maybe let then do the rest first and then they may decide to do the voices.

But considering this title is deeply rooted in Japanese history and was therefore not considered for official localization, an English dub may not fit the mood.

DarthDub and Kyojin like this.
  9. onepiecefreak

Aug 12, 2015
    Germany
    Maybe, since the names will be the same as in japanese it would fit more if the voices stay japanese, too.

10. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    The game does have a Japanese feel to it. I just thought it'd be nice to hear Objection for nostalgia, although leaving the Japanese voices in makes more sense

11. xz11
    OP

xz11 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2016
    Canada
    I did not say "no". I said that we currently have no plans. In other words, "we don't know yet".

12. I_AM_L_FORCE

Feb 19, 2015
    London
    Besides, a friend is teaching me the language :)

13. onepiecefreak

Aug 12, 2015
    Germany
    @xz11 But it would fit more the atmosphere to leave it like that. But in the end it's your decision. You're the makers and we're the grateful players ^^

14. kikuchiyo

kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

Jan 6, 2004
    United States
    USA
    This game isn't really "old Japanese."

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

How many translators are working on this now?

I've mentioned on previous threads that I played the base game and kept all my notes, so could translate pretty quickly given a script dump in rough order.

15. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    Oh, I didn't talk about this game there, as I haven't played it yet. I was just remembering my lessons in 古語 with a headache...

DarthDub likes this.
  16. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    But it's great you already have your notes. Like I said, I can't do too much because of work, but a few pages should be fine if you do end up needing help.

DarthDub likes this.
  17. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

Oct 21, 2015
    Skyloft
    It's kinda funny. An Ace Attorney game based in London in the country of England. Which everyone speaks Japanese. Logic!

Uwabami likes this.
  18. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    Could be inspired by the Iwakura Mission. And of course, everyone in England speaks Japanese - didn't you know?

DarthDub likes this.
  19. SkittleDash

SkittleDash Loading...

Oct 21, 2015
    Skyloft
    So I must have a hidden Japanese talent. lol

20. Uwabami

Feb 4, 2014
    Germany
    Reminds me of the old "Do you have any [insert your nationality here] in you? No? Would you like to?" joke. Good times.

DarthDub likes this.