Project+ Smash Bros. mod pulled from Riptide tournament lineup following discussion with Nintendo

1600px-Riptide.png

An upcoming video game tournament will be missing a game from its original lineup, following the organizers of the tournament being contacted by Nintendo of America. Riptide was scheduled to take place last year, but was postponed due to COVID-19. It was then moved to September 2021, where it would feature competitions involving Super Smash Bros. Melee, Splatoon 2, Rivals of Aether, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, along with Project+, a tweaked version of the popular Super Smash Bros. Brawl mod Project M. However, that's no longer the case, as Nintendo representatives reached out to the team behind Riptide, leading to the removal of Project+ from the event.

Riptide was contacted recently by a Nintendo of America, Inc. representative regarding our Project+ events. As a result of that conversation, there will be no Project+ tournaments or setups at Riptide.

A direct reason was not stated, though it can only be assumed that Nintendo of America did not want Riptide to go forward with an event featuring a modded version of one of Nintendo's first-party titles alongside official releases. Similar incidents have taken place in the past, such as last year, when Nintendo of America sent a cease and desist to The Big House, which was going to utilize Slippi, a specialized netplay build of the Dolphin emulator for to hold their tournament. Right now, Riptide organizers are contacting those signed up for the Project+ tournament and allowing refunds for those affected.

:arrow: Source

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Has anyone here even heard of this Riptide tournament before they saw this thread? Seems to be doing wonders for its promotion.

Nintendo hates their fanbase and are over protective of games they wont release and mods of any kind.
Seriously? There are still hundreds of mods and fangames for Nintendo products all over the Internet! See also this Twitter thread.

The IP's over 40 years old, it should be in public domain by now
Most of the stuff Disney owns is technically well over 40 years old, and is earning them billions.

ultimate can't be modded and some people perfer brawl because of its superior aesthetic and subspace emmisiary
Except Subspace Emissary has nothing to do with tournament play.

it clearly doesnt harm the company as shown with capcom and sega,
Both of those companies are barely a fraction of the size of Nintendo. Like I said before, Sega has re-released their ROMs so many times over that they can barely give them away for free anymore.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Deleted member 550701

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Has anyone here even heard of this Riptide tournament before they saw this thread? Seems to be doing wonders for its promotion.

Seriously? There are still hundreds of mods and fangames for Nintendo products all over the Internet! See also this Twitter thread.

Most of the stuff Disney owns is technically well over 40 years old, and is earning them billions.

Except Subspace Emissary has nothing to do with tournament play.

Both of those companies are barely a fraction of the size of Nintendo. Like I said before, Sega has re-released their ROMs so many times over that they can barely give them away for free anymore.
Ey someone's speaking some sense (there were other people that did but yours says it the best)

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its understandable. Its a tournament and if every tournament starts allowing modded versions of games this just becomes a shitshow. Players are not allowed to play on modded games or consoles for cheating reasons so why would a tournament allow it? Sure its monitored but imo tournaments like that should only feature unmodded games.
before posting this, my man googled 'how to say "i have no idea what project+ is" without saying it'

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
If I was Nintendo I'd just be happy people we're still passionate about a game released 13 and a half years ago at this point.

Let fans have their fun, back in the day mods were encouraged and some ended up becoming actual retail games. Counter Strike, Team Fortress and Tactical Ops to name a few.

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France
RIP Iwata... thank you for protecting Nintendo fans the best you could. Now we know the kind of crap you must have been fighting internally for our sake.
Let's not forget about the "wonderful" Nintendo partner shit they tried to pull during the WiiU days, that was with Iwata in command. I respect the guy, but to think nothing was wrong during his presidency is just ignoring a megaton of issues.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Let's not forget about the "wonderful" Nintendo partner shit they tried to pull during the WiiU days, that was with Iwata in command. I respect the guy, but to think nothing was wrong during his presidency is just ignoring a megaton of issues.
It was well-meaning but deeply misguided. It had a "let's try collaborating in a very backwards and Japanese way" mentality rather than a "just shut it down" one, being my point.

CTR640

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The fuck is wrong is Nintendo keeps doing this shit?? Do they want their fanbase to hate them?
I'm so glad I didn't spend a dime on the Switch nor their games despite I like them. I can't and won't support such business.

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What is more idiotic:
Trying to have a major tournament featuring an unauthorized mod of NINTENDO IP?
or
Having a superspreader event when the Delta variant is more contagious than the original COVID-19?

The answer? They are both idiotic. Not surprising that they came from the same mind.

BlazeMasterBM

I Eat Garlics
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What is more idiotic:
Trying to have a major tournament featuring an unauthorized mod of NINTENDO IP?
or
Having a superspreader event when the Delta variant is more contagious than the original COVID-19?

The answer? They are both idiotic. Not surprising that they came from the same mind.
on the contrary, I think it's actually a great idea.

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
The fuck is wrong is Nintendo keeps doing this shit?? Do they want their fanbase to hate them?
I'm so glad I didn't spend a dime on the Switch nor their games despite I like them. I can't and won't support such business.

So... You like their games, but won't support them? That's stupid.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also hot take, people should be able to do whatever they want with the Mario IP anyways. The IP's over 40 years old, it should be in public domain by now

I think you need to take that up with your countries legislative.

As that only covers donkey kong, where he was called jumpman and not mario, I'm not entirely sure how that would help.

Last edited by smf,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, no