1. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    To avoid latency, it predicts what buttons the other person will press and if when they turn up the prediction was wrong then it rolls back the emulation state and then gets back to now by applying your buttons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GGPO

If the prediction is always right then you have no latency, but the prediction will not always be right.

2. playstays_shun

playstays_shun GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Love the name, Slippi (Toad)

3. jupitteer

jupitteer cum

Antarctica
    well yeah, but why would you care about items if they're just in a story mode to make things more interesting? that would be insanely tedious

Owl Whiskey likes this.
  4. SilverWah

SilverWah GG Xrd Rev 2 best game period.

Netherlands
    You know community's like the Tatsunoko VS Capcom guys could hugely benefit from this along with other niche fighting games on GC and Wii but nope only Smash because Smash players only care about Smash.

Jawbreaker and cvskid like this.
  5. jupitteer

jupitteer cum

Antarctica
    i'm not sure how you can possibly be entitled about a guy quitting his job and working on one goal for 6 months to benefit his community

this is melee specific code, you have to do a shitton of work on every single game you'd want this to be a thing on, which was far easier for melee since it had a framework in place developed by that guy already that made this possible

Last edited by jupitteer, Jun 23, 2020
  6. Vorde

Vorde GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I've been playing for 6 years, and I still can't dashwave or rollwave :(

7. EduAAA

EduAAA Member
    Newcomer

Spain
    This use the precog input lag that Google invented.

It's very hard to explain but ill try:

In the beggining there was only Illuvatar, with his mighty hands he created all the Ainur.

Here is Melkor, the most powerful and vain of the Ainur...

To be continued

8. jupitteer

jupitteer cum

Antarctica
    ???????

9. Jawbreaker

Jawbreaker Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    My bro and I would put so much hours into that game. And the thought of having playable netcode. :yaywii:

10. Dax_Fame

Dax_Fame Annoying Member

United States
    Soooo in 7 months one guy made melee online perform better than Nintendo's paid services?

I don't know the proper term for what they use is but I'll call it "we'll both just wait here for a minute and figure out what's going on net code"

11. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Argentina
    Smash is a very easy game to get into. Easy to play but hard to master.

Only the first two Marvel vs Capcom games were as easy as get into as Smash is.

Simply put it was the first game that did four players in a fighting game well enough without being a game with a long learning curve and that you cannot enjoy right away.

12. GBADWB

GBADWB GBAtemp Regular

United States

You are aware that there's no way to make the netcode to be generic right? There's a reason why its difficult to implement rollback netcode into a game (as it literally requires prediction, and movement/inputs between games are not equal). Netherrealm Studios has already been recorded saying that a typical implementation takes about 4-12 engineers for 9 months, and keep 6 just to upkeep it.

Slippi literally quit his job to work on this on his free time.

raxadian and jupitteer like this.
  13. ChibiMofo

ChibiMofo NPC Chibi-Robo for Wii needs a fan translation

Canada
    Or to put it another way, "the way Nintendo defends their intellectual property as required by law so that they don't lose the rights to said IP." Or "the way Nintendo defends their intellectual property when people illegally release games using their assets and characters."

No like the law? Have it changed. But when one side is clearly breaking the law and the other side is clearly defending their rights, the latter does not deserve derision, especially sophomoric (or worse) name calling.

14. DarkCoffe64

Italy
    I completely know it's in their legal rights to defend their ips. It still doesn't mean it's always moral for them to do so, especially, imo, if it's something made out of love/passion and profitless.
    There have been other companies that embraced fan-created content, like Sega or Capcom, and afaik, it was all good publicity and profit for them.

As for calling them names, I have other personal reasons to do so, so I won't be stopping any time.

Sansgaming420 likes this.
  15. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    You do realize that Nintendo is like Disney, right? They don't need it. They're doing just fine without it.

16. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Hiya!

Canada
    They should have named it Project Peppy/Peppi for that voice actor who died from Covid... that would have been nice.

elBenyo likes this.
  17. goldensun87

goldensun87 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    "I-I-I'm 30!"

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - rollback, Project, Dolphin