Project Slippi is a build of Dolphin that adds rollback netcode to Super Smash Bros. Melee netplay

vr2xdQZ.png

Super Smash Bros. Melee will never die, especially not after this newly released fork of Dolphin emulator. Project Slippi is a build of Dolphin that introduces important netplay features, specifically for use in netplay matches of Melee, such as integrated matchmaking, being able to save replays to your PC, and most important of all, rollback netcode. Fizzi36 and his team of three other contributors released their hard work for use within the Melee community today, with "a large part of the project" being open source. He's been working on Project Slippi full-time for seven months now, and it's available for download on Windows, Linux, and macOS.

:arrow: Source

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What is "rollback netcode" exactly?

To avoid latency, it predicts what buttons the other person will press and if when they turn up the prediction was wrong then it rolls back the emulation state and then gets back to now by applying your buttons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GGPO

If the prediction is always right then you have no latency, but the prediction will not always be right.

SilverWah

CVS2 best game period.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You know community's like the Tatsunoko VS Capcom guys could hugely benefit from this along with other niche fighting games on GC and Wii but nope only Smash because Smash players only care about Smash.

Trophies
XP
You know community's like the Tatsunoko VS Capcom guys could hugely benefit from this along with other niche fighting games on GC and Wii but nope only Smash because Smash players only care about Smash.
i'm not sure how you can possibly be entitled about a guy quitting his job and working on one goal for 6 months to benefit his community

this is melee specific code, you have to do a shitton of work on every single game you'd want this to be a thing on, which was far easier for melee since it had a framework in place developed by that guy already that made this possible

Last edited by Deleted member 414991,

EduAAA

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This use the precog input lag that Google invented.

It's very hard to explain but ill try:

In the beggining there was only Illuvatar, with his mighty hands he created all the Ainur.

Here is Melkor, the most powerful and vain of the Ainur...

To be continued

Jawbreaker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My bro and I would put so much hours into that game. And the thought of having playable netcode. :yaywii:

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooo in 7 months one guy made melee online perform better than Nintendo's paid services?

I don't know the proper term for what they use is but I'll call it "we'll both just wait here for a minute and figure out what's going on net code"

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Smash is a very easy game to get into. Easy to play but hard to master.

Only the first two Marvel vs Capcom games were as easy as get into as Smash is.

Simply put it was the first game that did four players in a fighting game well enough without being a game with a long learning curve and that you cannot enjoy right away.

GBADWB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You are aware that there's no way to make the netcode to be generic right? There's a reason why its difficult to implement rollback netcode into a game (as it literally requires prediction, and movement/inputs between games are not equal). Netherrealm Studios has already been recorded saying that a typical implementation takes about 4-12 engineers for 9 months, and keep 6 just to upkeep it.

Slippi literally quit his job to work on this on his free time.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I honestly don't give 2 craps about melee, lol, even tho some in-dept vids about it got me to appreciate the game more, I was more talking in general, like, the way craptendo acts towards anything fan-made.
Or to put it another way, "the way Nintendo defends their intellectual property as required by law so that they don't lose the rights to said IP." Or "the way Nintendo defends their intellectual property when people illegally release games using their assets and characters."

No like the law? Have it changed. But when one side is clearly breaking the law and the other side is clearly defending their rights, the latter does not deserve derision, especially sophomoric (or worse) name calling.

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Or to put it another way, "the way Nintendo defends their intellectual property as required by law so that they don't lose the rights to said IP." Or "the way Nintendo defends their intellectual property when people illegally release games using their assets and characters."

No like the law? Have it changed. But when one side is clearly breaking the law and the other side is clearly defending their rights, the latter does not deserve derision, especially sophomoric (or worse) name calling.
I completely know it's in their legal rights to defend their ips. It still doesn't mean it's always moral for them to do so, especially, imo, if it's something made out of love/passion and profitless.
There have been other companies that embraced fan-created content, like Sega or Capcom, and afaik, it was all good publicity and profit for them.

As for calling them names, I have other personal reasons to do so, so I won't be stopping any time.

Reactions: Sansgaming420

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I completely know it's in their legal rights to defend their ips. It still doesn't mean it's always moral for them to do so, especially, imo, if it's something made out of love/passion and profitless.
There have been other companies that embraced fan-created content, like Sega or Capcom, and afaik, it was all good publicity and profit for them.

As for calling them names, I have other personal reasons to do so, so I won't be stopping any time.
You do realize that Nintendo is like Disney, right? They don't need it. They're doing just fine without it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: it won't make it better or worse