Project SHOCK! DS lite shells

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by SPiko, Mar 10, 2007.

Mar 10, 2007

Project SHOCK! DS lite shells by SPiko at 8:29 PM (1,432 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. SPiko
    OP

Newcomer SPiko Advanced Member

United States
    So I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a review of the Shock! DS cases. Or more specifically if anyone could just tell me what type of finish is on the case. I can't stand the glossy finish on the stock cases. They pick up finger prints and just look dirty all the time. Anyone know if the Shock! cases are glossy or more of a flat finish?

Any info would be great. Thanks. [​IMG]

2. nintendofreak

Member nintendofreak Around. Shoot me a PM.

United States
    Funny thing you mention.. Just had a bad experience...

I got the "Strat clear" case for my ds lite. Looked great, Nice and clear L33t style [​IMG] 1 of a kind ds.. My ds is always in a case, never out in the open.. I had it in a drawer, just with random things.. and 2 days ago, when i take it out, i find out.. that EEP!! The hinge part broke! (where the battery lights are at) so at this moment, its hanging by the Ribbon cable, and im sweating beads of sweat( not really but ya know) cause i dont know if its messed up now...

To be honest, unless your going to get the Clear one, i dont really think its worth it, completely voiding your warranty, and risking messing it up (which i did, one of the speakers is a bit staticy) just to have a different colored ds. I think its kinda a rip, especially considering theyre $40+ and the postage insurance said it was worth $2 USD!!! ( i know it was, family in plastics bussiness, wouldnt cost more than 50 cents to make the case)

There have been alot of people who are happy with it, but from my experience, im not happy because i know the original case wouldnt have of broken. If you do get it, my advice is that you take care of it, and be VERY careful when switching over!

3. SPiko
    OP

Newcomer SPiko Advanced Member

United States
    [​IMG]
    Damn it! and I was soooo excited when I found them to. I'm pretty sure I could handle taking it apart. I'm actually quite the little system moder. Just new to DS moding. However what I can't change is the quality of the case. Thanks for the heads up.

Do you know if any other companies are working on replacement shells?

4. ozone990

Newcomer ozone990 Member

I ordered one of the clear cases from the Shock website on March 1st. I now realize they are located overseas so it takes a bit for the case to arrive to me in the USA. I'll tell you how the install goes when I get it.

Hey nintendofreak, how did it break. I guess I am confused. Did you close the drawer on it or something?

5. nintendofreak

United States
    Noppe, I guess i might have *placed* a book a bit too heavy into the drawer over it, at the wrong angle.. [​IMG] Tell us how it goes for u Ozone, my suggestion is to start early in the day, cause its hard on the eyes, and you'll get sleepy if you start late night! ahh!

6. strummer12

Member strummer12 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I heard a bunch of horror stories about this case. It may have been on this board or another, but some guy said his case wasn't cut properly so he had to use a dremel and shit. I'd stay away from these things.

7. nintendofreak

United States
    Id have to agree a bit, I had to use the original cover for the LED lights (charging and on lights) cause the one it came with, the holes were not properly drilled, and i couldnt screw it in [​IMG] also for the top screen, the 2 halves dont meet as flush as i wish they could have [​IMG]

8. eseyo1

Newcomer eseyo1 Member

United States
  9. TheBlueStylus

Newcomer TheBlueStylus Advanced Member

United States
    I got the "Dreamy Blue" they suck a lot. I too have read of other's having to bore holes in order to place the shoulder pin in. These cases are all strat clear cases that have been painted. If you hold it to light you can see through them, even when put together holding it to light you can see outlines of the innards. Also, once put together I noticed on mine the angle of the screen has decreased, and thus my viewing angle wasn't comfortable, I had to put it in the 2nd click position to play it all the time, and no I didn't put the hinge in backwards, because using the original case parts for the hinge holding worked perfectly, while using there's was off by a few degrees. Also, its new plastic, this isn't the manufacturer's fault, but screwing it together is a pain in the butt beacuse there is no threading in the screw holes yet, it will require more strength to screw it together. Also, the inside casing, you can see the plastic molding, it isn't completely flat, and you can see where the struts and such have been molded from the outside, not noticable till you hold it at an angle. For my final complaint, my right hinge cracked, yeah sure it had a bunch of problems, but I bought those to replace my white case with a hinge crack on the left, but this cracks on the right this time, and yeah, took it off, put the white back on, and I think it's much better to go out and buy another DS Lite, than go through this.

10. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    I've been meaning to post my review as well, which has been delayed by not receiving my "review" case (which meant I had to then order one from them), and additionally not receiving answers to an email with lots of questions.

however, I think I'll try and take the photos and post it within the next day or two. the long and short is: yeah, they're kind of nice and make your ds stand out as "one of a kind" (for the most part), however the cost is just too high considering what you're getting.

11. imgod22222

Member imgod22222 GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member

United States
    If you've never opened your DS before, i suggest you don't because i went to open mine and spray it since the PCB was corroding where the shoulder buttons are, so i sprayed it, and now the A button does not work very well (almost not at all, i've gotten blisters from trying to push that *****ing button!)

12. nintendofreak

United States
    Man, that sucks. They should use blue plastic, not no paint! We could try to request that they lower their prices- I think it would make much better sense to charge, say $25-30 USD?