Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Natal will launch in the US this October with a price tag of $149.

That’s according to a trusted source, who told us that the motion sensing camera will also be bundled with the Xbox 360 Arcade console for $299.

We were informed that prices outside of the US would be determined based on a number of factors, including exchange rates. Based on current rates, the standalone unit would retail for £103 / €121, and the console and Natal bundle for £207 / €243.

The figure for the standalone unit is significantly higher than a previous sub-£50 estimate, but less than pricing recently suggested by European retailers. It’s also more expensive than Sony’s Natal rival Move, which will be available later this year with a game for less than $100.

Our source said that the device has been pencilled in for an October 26 worldwide launch, although we were advised that the date could yet shift by a few weeks either way.

We were also told Microsoft’s camera definitely won’t be called Natal and that its proper title will be revealed at E3 next month. It will also be heavily targeted at causal players and families.

“Microsoft expects to sell millions and millions of Natal units in its first year on the market so you can expect the software launch line-up to target non-traditional gamers,” our source said. “A major marketing campaign will also play a key role in attracting and educating the expanded audience about Xbox 360’s controller-free revolution.”

When contacted about this report, Microsoft told us that it "does not comment on rumour or speculation”.
Source

Their "trusted source" is same individual who fed the outlet details on Gears of War 3's coming out party.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
This adds a little bit of substance to that rumor a while ago that Ninty was offered the same technology for the Wii but turned it down due to cost, trying to make a wallet-friendly console.

I don't see anyone being too interested in this after what people think about the Wii...and the fact that it costs about $30 less than an entire Wii.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Launch date is indeed late october, so can't wait. We'll see at E3 the real final price. If its 99 or less, its going to be a success. If its anything more, its going to be another failure at launch. We'll see.

ore0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Arctic said:
$50-$75 is the most I'd pay for it.
ugghhh I hate when people say this kind of stuff. I have a friend at school who whenever anyone says anything about Natal he starts screaming about how its going to suck and cost a ton of money, when he doesn't know ANYTHING about it. But I digress. This thing is an entirely new piece of hardware, with what seems like a freaking stalker inside watching your every move. There was no way in hell that this thing would ever cost around $50-$75, because thats the cost of a game thats just been slapped inside of a metal tin, with the words "LIMITED EDITION" on it.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ore0 said:
Arctic said:
$50-$75 is the most I'd pay for it.
ugghhh I hate when people say this kind of stuff. I have a friend at school who whenever anyone says anything about Natal he starts screaming about how its going to suck and cost a ton of money, when he doesn't know ANYTHING about it. But I digress. This thing is an entirely new piece of hardware, with what seems like a freaking stalker inside watching your every move. There was no way in hell that this thing would ever cost around $50-$75, because thats the cost of a game thats just been slapped inside of a metal tin, with the words "LIMITED EDITION" on it.
All it has is a camera, IR sensor and a depth sensor. At bulk prices it won't even cost them $25 to make.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I get fries with that?
blink.gif

If there's seriously any truth to this, then my guess is that "Natal" as we know it has merely morphed into a compact (slim) 360 with the motion "thing" built into the system. Could be a very basic system with no frills. Who knows...

In any case, there's no fucking way MS would bring that hardware to market at that price if all that was included was the Natal camera system as we saw it at last year's E3.

ore0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
GeekyGuy said:
In any case, there's no fucking way MS would bring that hardware to market at that price if all that was included was the Natal camera system as we saw it at last year's E3.
Yeah, when I posted the above I was assuming it came with all the games and stuff it had at E3 and more. If it's just the camera I'm gonna just wait a while for the price to go down.

BlackDave

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Arctic said:
$400 for an Xbox with HDD and $150-$200 for this camera. Now PC gaming doesn't sound so bad does it?
laugh.gif

a gaming pc would still be a bit more expensive
biggrin.gif

but haxx are easier to obtain
tongue.gif

awssk8er

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When, it was first revealed at E3, I kind of thought it would be cool... Then not too much longer after, I realized it was going to be overpriced (Hey, it's Microsoft), and everyone that used early models said it was laggy.

I know it's an early model, but then when I found out most videos were fake (The Milo game or whatever it was called), I expected the lag to stay, and they wouldn't be able to improve it.

Also, in most games now, the control scheme would be impossible to play with using Natal.
I picture them having around 2 pretty good games at first with it, then after about 10 games, they are just going to abandon it.

Whatever, if you want it, go ahead and get it. It's your choice, not mine whether you should get it. I'm just saying in my opinion, it looks like a waste of time.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
how many people can it track at once? because compared to a four player game on wii (240 dollars for controllers + batteries) 149 doesn't sound so bad.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nando said:
how many people can it track at once? because compared to a four player game on wii (240 dollars for controllers + batteries) 149 doesn't sound so bad.
QUOTE said:
Q: How many people do you map and how many can play at once?

A: It depends on fidelity and other things that you want to bring into the equation -- how many points. We feel we're going to be at the pont where we can have full-room fun experiences. It's not one person, one person's skeleton, one person's voice. We're going to have full skeletal mapping for multiple people in the room.

It's going to be fun. Because we can map your skeleton, we'll know where you are.
Source
the project's director, Kudo Tsunoda told me. He had me look at a special display set up as part of the ball-ricocheting demo. What I saw proved how clearly Natal was easily reading both my body and his as we both stood in front of the sensors. We appeared on screen as simplified, mutli-jointed stick figure skeletons within silhouettes of our bodies. It clearly saw us as separate people. There would be no problem, he said, for the system to support a game that let us play at the same time and track our movements separately.
Source
I actually didn't think about that until now, I guess it would make the price more reasonable, but it is still expensive, especially for those lonely gamers out there

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2