"Project Home" is an upcoming open source, feature-packed qlaunch replacement by XorTroll

Whether it's for eye candy, quality of life improvements or adding extra features, there's never enough customisation options in the scene! In particular, the Switch seems to be a popular target of said releases and, if you're a fan of those, you'll want to check out what @XorTroll 's upcoming project has to offer.

"Project Home" (temporary name) is a WIP Home menu replacement for Nintendo's hybrid console. If you've been following the developer's other works, then you may recall how he had already planned to introduce a similar functionality in Goldleaf, his own title installer and multipurpose tool. However, this idea became much more ambitious than he anticipated, which made him split the two into separate branches, making Project Home a successor to said feature! Talking about functions, while there are a few comparable to those we've already seen in similar applications (like folders and BGM support) a couple of others are also included that makes it stand out from the competition: for example, it uses a custom HBL to target homebrew and allows you to add shortcuts to NRO apps right on your home screen! Themes are also supported via JSON "layouts" and it also features a notification service (not seen in the video) that can be used by sysmodules and homebrew to display messages on-screen, which has already been tested and confirmed to be working with Emuiibo.

Project Home is going to be open source and it's made using Plutionium, a UI framework created by the same developer. It will be compatible with both Atmosphère and ReiNX. While there is no ETA yet, development is said to be near complete. If you have a suggestion for its final name, feel free to write it as a reply below!

:arrow: Source

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish this person and Rei could work together in this or DeltaLunch. It'd be better for all of us.

FMCore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I wish this person and Rei could work together in this or DeltaLunch. It'd be better for all of us.

I disagree, I think competition is better as it pushes for improvements to be made on both sides. Not to mention because it's open source, anyone can help make improvements to the launcher or even create their own based off the source.

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I disagree, I think competition is better as it pushes for improvements to be made on both sides. Not to mention because it's open source, anyone can help make improvements to the launcher or even create their own based off the source.
Yeah, competition does. As well as colaboration. It'd be better because it'll have ideas from both, and the best things two nice programmers can do.
But it's just a point of view, and it's okay to disagree.

Meepers55

Flintstones Regular
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nice, but DeltaLaunch seems to have a smoother transition when scrolling through games and applications. This will probably be improved in later updates, but for now DeltaLaunch seems to be the better project.

Even though I'm not really into custom theming, it is interesting to see how two similar projects develop and where they end up based on the different goals of each development team. It'll be nice to see what direction this takes

Reactions: TheDarkGreninja

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SwitchRocker then boom highjack a slogan. This seems dope though. I didn't understand this concept at all on the other thing but now i get what people were trying to say. Homebrew shortcuts and folders.

Do the NRO shortcuts run in the background like NSPs ?

octopus

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
I suggest to name it "Semiramis". Train of thought: hanging gardens of Babylon (leaf, tree, etc) → replacement of Horizon. Since we already have Hekate.

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
SwitchRocker then boom highjack a slogan. This seems dope though. I didn't understand this concept at all on the other thing but now i get what people were trying to say. Homebrew shortcuts and folders.

Do the NRO shortcuts run in the background like NSPs ?
Nope, NROs are NROs and not titles. However, they're really easy to access from there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    tbf I haven't been around on the last pokeflood
    did it happen?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Wasn't it Scarlet and Violet?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Dunno, I stay in the EoF.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    The craze must've had died down by then.
    I'm much more on the killing floor :x
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Imagine that every Pokemon game is the exact same but with slight tweaks.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I'm not much of a gaymer, more-so a creator.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    @SylverReZ Syl my beloved :bow: gm
    +1
    It is friday
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Last time I played a game was hmmm... can't exactly recall. :wacko:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but...