"Project Home" is an upcoming open source, feature-packed qlaunch replacement by XorTroll

Whether it's for eye candy, quality of life improvements or adding extra features, there's never enough customisation options in the scene! In particular, the Switch seems to be a popular target of said releases and, if you're a fan of those, you'll want to check out what @XorTroll 's upcoming project has to offer.

"Project Home" (temporary name) is a WIP Home menu replacement for Nintendo's hybrid console. If you've been following the developer's other works, then you may recall how he had already planned to introduce a similar functionality in Goldleaf, his own title installer and multipurpose tool. However, this idea became much more ambitious than he anticipated, which made him split the two into separate branches, making Project Home a successor to said feature! Talking about functions, while there are a few comparable to those we've already seen in similar applications (like folders and BGM support) a couple of others are also included that makes it stand out from the competition: for example, it uses a custom HBL to target homebrew and allows you to add shortcuts to NRO apps right on your home screen! Themes are also supported via JSON "layouts" and it also features a notification service (not seen in the video) that can be used by sysmodules and homebrew to display messages on-screen, which has already been tested and confirmed to be working with Emuiibo.

Project Home is going to be open source and it's made using Plutionium, a UI framework created by the same developer. It will be compatible with both Atmosphère and ReiNX. While there is no ETA yet, development is said to be near complete. If you have a suggestion for its final name, feel free to write it as a reply below!

:arrow: Source

momin

Trophies
XP
Country
No cover flow no party :P (no emu flow no party neither).

Kidding! Amazing job, hope this gets improving!

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact that Project Home and DeltaLaunch are completely different projects that appear to have different goals in mind. Heck, this one's even open sourced while the other isn't.
Sure, I was just speaking in general, not with these two projects in mind. If they have different goals then of course they should probably not be working together on the same project, because then you get the other big problem of many free software projects: feature bloat and options to manage the options that manage the options. People often think they have different goals when they just want to make a really minor adjustment, or they think that they have the same goals but can never agree on a good way to do things and so make everything into an option. "It causes my system to crash" "Okay, we'll add an option to not crash your system". But again, I'm not talking about Home or DeltaLaunch in particular, I don't think it even applies to them.

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
After some doubts I think I like the name "Eclipse", but yet unsure, since a certainly well-known IDE has the same name.
Maybe qEclipse...?

Seems good name for me, it's related with Horizon, but these q fuck the name, probably we can find another astronomical phenomenon, I think on Meteor but it's taked too by javascript framework :(

It's really hard to find a good name without append the q as first letter :/

Reactions: RattletraPM

XorTroll

Switching between my 2DS and my Switch
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Spain
Lol didn't realize the relationship between Horizon and Eclipse... lmao

Current idea: GitHub organization will be "eclipse-nx" (to distinguish between Eclipse IDE and this) and the HOME menu replacement repo will be "EclipseMenu".

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Lol didn't realize the relationship between Horizon and Eclipse... lmao

Current idea: GitHub organization will be "eclipse-nx" (to distinguish between Eclipse IDE and this) and the HOME menu replacement repo will be "EclipseMenu".
Why not Eqlipse? :)

(or Éclipse to follow the french pattern)

probably we can find another astronomical phenomenon
Supernova, obviously :D

Last edited by lordelan,
Reactions: Takokeshi

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
XorTroll, this is absolutely amazing!
Any updates? ;)
He has just too many important projects at the same time. Would be good if he could do this:
d1qvvwf-283ea7d0-45c1-41b6-a843-b6d328d90c9c.gif

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Or someone would be intrested in picking up his projects and help develop them.

I'm working on that, I have experience as developer and seems C++ so not seem a big problem with this, I just need setup the Switch enviroment and see how I can debug the homebrew apps.

For now I have the devkit installed and my emuMMC are ready, so soon I can start to contribute I guess.

Probably he can provide a short explanation of how I should build and test the homebrew, we are from same country too, so we can talk without problems.

If i'm not wrong, he it's on vacations now, so it's possible that we need wait a bit for his comeback, meanwhile I gona try my best.

Last edited by Chocola,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.