"Project Home" is an upcoming open source, feature-packed qlaunch replacement by XorTroll

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Jun 17, 2019.

1. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Honestly, project home is a pretty cool name imo, I wouldn't change it, but if you want it to be gold something like your other works I'd do

GoldHome
    GoldLaunch
    GoldSprout
    GoldLanding
    GoldLand
    Goldspring
    GoldHM

Without Gold in the name:
    HomeLeaf
    Launchpad
    qLaunchPad
    Re-Launch
    Re-Home
    qlaunched
    XorLaunch
    XorHome
    Homeland
    Homeland Insecurity
    QHome

Idk, I'm just spitballin'. I still think Project Home sounds cool enough on it's own.

Fabian Schuchhardt likes this.
  2. wiewiec

wiewiec GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    Indeed Sherlock

Last edited by wiewiec, Jun 17, 2019
    stitchxd likes this.
  3. nWo

nWo The Game Master

Oct 20, 2016
    Mexico
    Congrats Xortroll. It looks awesome.

A good name would be, like mine, "nWo". The new world order of Switch home menus.

4. guitarheroknight

guitarheroknight 1.6180339887

Nov 9, 2014
    Norway
    Grand Line
    It has huge potential to be the overall winner in the home-menu race as of late.

That being said my name suggestion would be Elysium - it has quiet a ring to it, and an alternate meaning as well!;)

Last edited by guitarheroknight, Jun 17, 2019
  5. andyhappypants

andyhappypants Pika!

Jul 27, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Hoenn
    This is looking awesome! The switch needs customisation options, the UI is boring and ugly.

6. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    Honestly let's just add more fuel to the fire and name it tinfoil

Bst22322, FEF1, dapaua and 3 others like this.
  7. Chocola

Chocola GBAtemp Meowgular

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    Congrats @XorTroll and thanks for bring this homebrews to Switch scene, I always have a eye on your projects and look awesome.

I'm developer too (and Spanish too xD), but never try to build anything for Switch, for now I just watching opensource projects in the shadow xD

If some day i'm inspired and can setup the Switch developer enviroment count with my hands to help you with the issues or bring new features to your repositories.

As recomendation (in the future, not for first releases but it's better develop with this in mind) try to bring a open engine for custom themes and open api for UI things (like the overlay for example), I think that your Layoff should be included on this project, both are related.

Last edited by Chocola, Jun 18, 2019
    lordelan and XorTroll like this.
  8. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    XorTroll is an amazing dev, that's for sure.
    Love your apps, dude.

I hope the idiots don't decide to turn on you for some reason and make you quit, like Rei did.

9. Chocola

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    We are here, he always do the better for provide a good base projects, but as developer I know that are harder mantain a lot of repositories and developments for one single dev, I gona make my effort to learn and prepare my Switch dev enviroment just for help him.

10. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Regular

Jan 21, 2019
    Russia
    Looks admirable and unnecessary

11. Chocola

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    Well, thats your opinion and I gona respect it, but I see this interesting project, not only for take the full control of the UI and QLaunch and customize it 100%, it can bring a interesting things to other homebrew projects (overlays, buttons and menus on launcher, custom news for the scene users...).

This isn't only a eyecandy, can help a lot with some things (it's like Android launchers) ;)

Fabian Schuchhardt likes this.
  12. 98otiss

98otiss certified best girl

Aug 22, 2015
    Canada
    somewhere
    better than rei lol
    at least you dont lock it to a specific cfw
    looks great so far, only complaint is just the lack of animation (and the music choice lmao)

13. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2010
    United States
    i like xorlaunch meself

14. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    @XorTroll
    The potential of this is massive.
    1. It could have kind of widgets for RSS news, weather and music
      (at least there could be a previous, play/pause and next button over or under the game scrolling area to navigate through multiple MP3s of a specific folder for the BGM)
    2. It could have switches (either on the homescreen or inside a specific area) to toggle things like cheats, emuiibo, hid-mitm, in-home-switching, and so on
    3. Apart from actual games and homebrews (like shown in the video) it could have icons for specific payloads as well where selecting one reboots to that payload
    4. It could let us use alternate icons (and even names) for installed games without having to alter the actual game itself but placing a png/jpg and/or an ini/xml file named after the titleID in a folder like sd:/projecthome/titles/
    5. Attention, this might be one of the coolest features and the reason I started to write this post:
      It could allow us to have a single game more than one time on the homescreen and allow us to decide for each (with an ini/xml) if we want to start it with LayeredFS or not!
      Especially combined with what I wrote in 4. this could allow us to have untouched/vanilla Breath of the Wild and e.g. the Linkle Mod and/or Zelda Mod each with their own icon and name on the homescreen where launching Linkle Mod starts BotW with activated LayeredFS while launching the main BotW icon does not (and launches the vanilla game instead)!
      To achieve having multiple mods (like Linkle and Zelda) it could look for the files from
      in
      sd:/projecthome/titles/[TitleID]/Linkle Mod/[files]
      sd:/projecthome/titles/[TitleID]/Zelda Mod/[files]
      instead of
      sd:/atmosphere/titles/[TitleID]/[files]

Maybe we won't even need ini or xml files this way. Altered game icons for mods could be placed in
      sd:/projecthome/titles/[TitleID]/Linkle Mod/
      and
      sd:/projecthome/titles/[TitleID]/Zelda Mod/
      and the mod game title shown on the home screen is just the folder name unter the [TitleID] folder
    I know this is pretty far away from now (if ever possible) but that video was inspiring. :)

15. pietempgba

pietempgba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 9, 2016
    United States
    XorLaunch sounds good

16. Akorax

Akorax Member

Newcomer
    Dec 1, 2012
    Sweden
    It needs to be something catchy but also not too long. Like you could shorten Extreme Home Makeover to EHM for example. That said I do like tune of qHome. gHome could also work.

17. Hamdan

Hamdan GBAtemp Regular

Dec 14, 2018
    Pakistan
    Wait, so there isn't a lock screen?
    It would be cool if you could implement weather and (actual) news (!) [on the lock screen, and actually make use of the empty space!]
    Amazing job anyway!
    I assume you are going to use the grey bar on top for time, battery etc?

18. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    get the name right here:

XorFloW

Last edited by Bladexdsl, Jun 18, 2019
    Broduskii likes this.
  19. xxNathanxx

xxNathanxx GBAtemp Fan

Oct 28, 2011
    New Caledonia
    'Competition' and 'free software' don't blend together very well. You always end up with a million different forks and other reimaginings because everyone thinks their minuscule change is unique, and none of those 'competitors' end up creating anything worthwhile. Cooperation is the only true way forward.

Chocola likes this.
  20. Chocola

Sep 18, 2018
    Korea, South
    Neko Paradise
    Totally agree with you, open source it's open for collaboration, split the same project on multiple subprojects it's just a bad step.

Anyways I didn't know why some people do it, I can understand the people that like to implement a feature and the root project refuse it for any reason or it's a big rewrite that make a existing project totally different make they own repository, but fork or clone a project or make a clone of existing project instead collaborate on the original repository it's just stupid thing.

Can't agree with the excuse of the "competition is good because come new ideas", isn't true, if you have a new idea you can present it to original project without need to make a clone.