Project Exile

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by WK416, Jul 31, 2006.

Jul 31, 2006

Project Exile by WK416 at 8:08 AM (1,697 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. WK416
    OP

Member WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've never heard of this game until my sister linked me to a youtube video of its gameplay.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PioZ3ievw-c

It's a real time RPG. The battle system is reminiscent of Chronotrigger, but has a more compact "circle" interface for selecting actions (think Secret of Mana, but only for battles). The visuals look a lot like the games back in the Squaresoft days. And... well just watch the video.

The game looks so awesome, and yet I have heard NOTHING about it. At all. This game was originally made for the GBA, but they're busy porting it for a DS release instead. Being done by an indie game development studio. Pretty damn awesome. [​IMG]

http://www.studioarchcraft.com/project.htm
    They're aiming for a Q1 2007 release.

2. Orc

Member Orc ‎(ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

Hong Kong
    It only looks pretty awesome but I dunno about the gameplay.

...aaaand it only looks pretty awesome to me because it looks like they've just stolen and modified some tiles/sprites from SNES RPGS. Hahahahahahahaha!

...aaaand 'Kairu' what a weeaboo name. (fitting for a pretty boy emo character, OMG IS THAT FF?!)

3. Adventures_of_Lo

Newcomer Adventures_of_Lo Advanced Member

Finland
    Looks very Chrono Triggerish. In other words, looks awaesome!

4. xflash

Member xflash Local Ninja

Norway
    hmmm thats strange according to gfaqs this game doesnt exist thought it looks cool

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I think I might have posted this in a the E3 section before it vansished, no matter though as a decent (non Japanese) DS RPG is a long time coming and some interest in this seems well deserved.

Here is some better quality trailers:
    http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2822

@xflash it apparently started off as a GBA RPG (watch the trailer) and switched to DS so you might wish to try the GBA section of Gamefaqs.

6. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    I can't wait for this! The one thing I didn't like about Chrono Trigger was that the battle system had so much unused tactical potential. Seems like these guys are using it! The graphics look amazing and I've got high hopes for the story, too. Great to see some fresh DS RPGs. B)

The interesting thing is that there is a very similar project by another western team in development. It's called Western Lords.
    http://www.westernlords.com/
    http://www.planetds.de/index.php?page=arti...el=westernlords
    (German site but on every second page the inteviews are in the original English.)
    The setting has Western elements but it's also heavily inspired by Chrono Trigger. It also started as a GBA project and is now being made for the DS. The planned release ist farther away than that of Project Exile, though.

7. inthegray

Newcomer inthegray Member

United States
    we interviewed the studio about the game not too long ago.

there is some mild controversy about Project Exile's sprites and tiles resembling its predecessors a little too much, to the point where some people claim that they have just redrawn over CT/SOM/etc's resources. this may be a problem when it comes time for them to find a publisher.

8. OrR

Germany
    Well, there are clearly no legal problems, so who cares? [​IMG] I LOVE how much it looks like Chrono Trigger. [​IMG]

9. xflash

Member xflash Local Ninja

Norway
    err i used the search function i didn't check a specific section of gfaqs and according to my search it doesn't exist on anything

10. HugeCock

Member HugeCock Oh My....

United States
    Seems to be way more Secret of Mana/Evermore than anything else but none the less it looks great. Hope they pick up that publisher....

11. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    Well, yeah. it doesn't exist yet. That's the point

12. OrR

Germany
    Well, obviously Gamefaqs does not have every game listed seing as they don't even list all systems. Having every planned game listed is even more out of question. [​IMG]

13. squall3031

Member squall3031 GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Wow, after watching that trailer, i also really look forward to this game. [​IMG] Go project exile!! Thank you for catching my attention ^^

14. WK416
    OP

Member WK416 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Gametrailers' trailer is the same as the one hosted on the studio's website. [​IMG]

About the legalality issue, the buzz over at their forum says that their shouldn't be any problems.
    If there is a conflict between Squeenix and the studio, then I hope that instead of calling a cease and desist on them they would ignore, support, or maybe convince the studio to work for them. It's a long shot, but eh. I want to see this project live.

Still not happy with how they handled Chrono Trigger Ressurrection. [​IMG]