Hacking Project Enigma: New WW2 Shooter for PSP/Vita/PC/Wii

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Recently, while Perfect Dark: Reloaded development has been on and off, me and a few other developers were thinking about new ideas. I proposed a World War 2 multiplayer shooter (the "multiplayer" part to the dismay of one or two of them) and we all started pooling in ideas based on it. The end result? Project Enigma. Enigma uses models from cancelled and unreleased (and subsequently lost) PSP homebrew game Cause of War: 1944 as well as our own original maps (with some recreated maps in the pipeline). Below are screenshots of the StG 44/MP44 and the 95% finished "Ruin" map. We hope to work on Enigma - a more straightforward, but also more creatively flexible project - and make a decent little experiment out of it, and the lessons we learn from Enigma will be implemented into our primary goal of Perfect Dark - such as planned engine improvements. Ruin consistently runs at least 20FPS above the 60FPS mark (averaging perhaps 85FPS in the courtyard), so depending on how the game fares with other players a 60FPS mode is looking very attainable. Bots may affect that frame rate, but we will give the option to lock to 30FPS for a stable frame rate.

You might be wondering about the other versions of the game. Since the PSP is the effective "lowest common denominator", we are making things for PSP first and foremost and then porting them to PC/Vita. VitaQuake needs work as its feature set is incomplete, but the idea is to get maps running well on our base hardware before moving assets between platforms. We are also experimenting with a Wii port of Enigma, because we're constantly looking to try new things with the Quake engine and a port to a reasonably supported, similar (power-wise) platform - which will definitely require some engine-level changes - will undoubtedly be helpful for our understanding of the Quake engine.

We hope you're as excited for this experiment as we are!

Original concept, textures, "Castle" map: TheMrIron2
"Ruin" map, WIP "Barnyard" map: BCDeshiG
WIP "Nuketown" map, PS Vita/PC/Wii maintenance, QuakeC: MotoLegacy
Models from last existing Cause of War build: Senior Meatbox

SXvNKcQ.png

4SL7Uz0.png

Last edited by TheMrIron2,

ali_ihsan21

Trophies
XP
Country
We'll cross that bridge when we get there. Our objective is to get maps done first and other core assets before expanding on deathmatch.
Probably asked that before but is it too difficult to write botzone for an existing game such as Resistance hich has maps and menu for multiplayer?

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Probably asked that before but is it too difficult to write botzone for an existing game such as Resistance hich has maps and menu for multiplayer?
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Anyway, a little update. My very own map, "Castle", is about 90% complete! It is playable at this point but one room needs to be decorated and it needs a bit of optimization to lift the overhead a bit. I'm releasing some test BSPs/maps on the discord before they go on the GitHub, but if you're a little more patient, I'll be putting completed maps (and their source) on the Project Enigma GitHub page.

In the meantime, I've attached some screenshots of the map running on real PSP hardware below. Enjoy!

JNwV6dQ.png

YyKmfB3.png

rq7Sr6g.png

AkYIUgM.png

LjlJtbr.png

DgFJvaz.png

Reactions: Joel16

TheMrIron2

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
An update on this project since the last post:

- Diema (AKA darkhaven3) has started work on his map "Moravia", a Czech town under German siege; see pictures below. It also runs almost perfectly at >30FPS on a real PSP so far, despite being unfinished!
- MotoLegacy, developer of Nazi Zombies Portable: Reboot, has almost finished the QuakeC code to complete the Colt M1911 and StG44 for in-game use. As a result, we now also have access to NZP's WW2 weapons!
- BCFreshiG has finished another map, Barnyard. Inspired by Safehouse from CS:GO, it encourages close quarters combat with little outdoor area and a few small rooms around the big center of the barn.

I made a concept "Jungle" map, but it will likely be scrapped because it's not terribly thematic or close to what aesthetic we're going for and was closer to something out of Kurok. For now, though, enjoy this peek at progress!

unknown.png

Screen_Shot_2019-01-14_at_20.59.26.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: happy birth +1