Hacking Progressive scan and widescreen in homebrew

TrainerAbu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it not too hard to do? Will a bunch of homebrews have progressive scan and widescreen eventually?

It'd save me the annoyance of always switching my Wii from my HDTV to my small TV in my room to play SNES9x and other things. Anything not in progressive scan on my HDTV has a huuuge button lag, and SNES games and GBA games and everything are suuuper blurry on it whereas SNES roms in progressive scan (injecting roms into VC wads) are perfect on my HDTV.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't see why not. I just installed the Homebrew Channel (I had to rent a copy of TP because I only have the GC version). Playing Quake was very blurry on my HDTV. I hope to see this implemented.

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
Does your HDTV not have a 'game mode' or something?

Mine does - and some other tricky ways which vary de-interlacing to avoid the lag.

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Bravia, and I've always wondered what gamemode does... It just seems to make my normal games a bit... Inferior.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Progressive mode is already supported by a few homebrew so it's probably just a matter of implementing proper detection
About 16:9 support, I never found any homebrew using it, I guess they only would have to render a wider image to keep original aspect ratio

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
I run all my homebrew at 480p over component on a 50" plasma and while it's not widescreen, it looks fine. I definitely don't have to move from one TV to another or change any settings to get it working.

TaxiTitan

Trophies
XP
Country
Jacobeian said:
Progressive mode is already supported by a few homebrew so it's probably just a matter of implementing proper detection
About 16:9 support, I never found any homebrew using it, I guess they only would have to render a wider image to keep original aspect ratio

Standard def 640x480 always uses the same amount of pixels.
So a 4:3 mode I guess would just squash the game screen to 4:3 in a 16:9 format, with black borders (left & right).
In that way the picture is not 640 horizontarly anymore and will likely lose detail, and get more noise.

Hope all the emulators get progressive scan soon
wink.gif

TaxiTitan

Trophies
XP
Country
TrainerAbu said:
Is it not too hard to do? Will a bunch of homebrews have progressive scan and widescreen eventually?

It'd save me the annoyance of always switching my Wii from my HDTV to my small TV in my room to play SNES9x and other things. Anything not in progressive scan on my HDTV has a huuuge button lag, and SNES games and GBA games and everything are suuuper blurry on it whereas SNES roms in progressive scan (injecting roms into VC wads) are perfect on my HDTV.

Witch brand and modell are you using?
It can differ very much.
Panasonic is the most low lag or lagfree plasma for the moment.
LCD's are often worse.
Game mode often turns of lots of filters to lower the picture processing.
Try turn of even more picture enhancing functions.
Also try progressive scan through snes emus from the pc in pixel mapped resolution.
VGA gives maximum lag on my PDP LX-508d.

TrainerAbu

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's an LG or whatever brand TV :3. I wanna hook my computer up to my TV or whatever sometime but I dunno how to do that at all or how much that'd cost if I need anything extra =X.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: