GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Let's see... I'm highly unexperienced. I'm learning Flash, WAS learning C# but saw no reason to continue, and now C++ (Got a better book teaching me)

Was wondering, wut language does the NDS use, i'm fairly certain its either C++ or C.
Umm... based on what i know (very little) C++ makes consoles and windows forms, so which would i use for the NDS?
And DirectX and OpenGL make games, so wut does the NDS use for games?

I have Dev-C++, and I'm just starting "C++ For Dummies The All-in-One Desk Reference"

So yea, was wondering how to test basic scripts on the NDS, what tools i need to download, etc etc etc. If it matters any, I'm running an XP machine, and have SC SD.

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, after looking, some of its on drunkencoders, but with such amazingly slow DSL speeds, i can't browse much. If anyone would be so kind as to answer the questions in my first post, and also tell me where to get Visual Basic C++ from Microsoft Beta (they said beta was free) since Dev-C++ seems to be giving me a BS error after compiling.
Thnx agami, if i'm lucky, ill hit a spike of no-lag (happens twice a week or so) and I'll be able to scan through dsdev.org

EDIT: I would also greatly appreciate if someone could help me with Dev-C++, it says I can't compile My script looks like this (red text)
#include
#include

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
cout

aeonflame

Trophies
XP
Country
Either add:
using namespace std;
after your #include lines, or prefix both cout and endl with std::, so you have:
std::cout

dg10050

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, after looking, some of its on drunkencoders, but with such amazingly slow DSL speeds, i can't browse much. If anyone would be so kind as to answer the questions in my first post, and also tell me where to get Visual Basic C++ from Microsoft Beta (they said beta was free) since Dev-C++ seems to be giving me a BS error after compiling.
Thnx agami, if i'm lucky, ill hit a spike of no-lag (happens twice a week or so) and I'll be able to scan through dsdev.org

EDIT: I would also greatly appreciate if someone could help me with Dev-C++, it says I can't compile My script looks like this (red text)
#include
#include

{
 cout

ediblebird

Trophies
XP
Country
use devkit pro with palib.

devkitpro

PALIB

on the palib site there is no end of links and help you can get on the forum and also an installation wiki
that shows you how to install devkitpro and palib. follow the wiki and youll be coding in no time.

Kyro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
Let's see... I'm highly unexperienced. I'm learning Flash, WAS learning C# but saw no reason to continue, and now C++ (Got a better book teaching me)

Was wondering, wut language does the NDS use, i'm fairly certain its either C++ or C.
Umm... based on what i know (very little) C++ makes consoles and windows forms, so which would i use for the NDS?
And DirectX and OpenGL make games, so wut does the NDS use for games?

I have Dev-C++, and I'm just starting "C++ For Dummies The All-in-One Desk Reference"

So yea, was wondering how to test basic scripts on the NDS, what tools i need to download, etc etc etc. If it matters any, I'm running an XP machine, and have SC SD.

You should check this very interesting guide :

http://www.patatersoft.info/manual.html

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I believe you need to add ".h" after "iostream" in your include lines. So it should look like "#include ".
I'm just guessing though...
It sounds so simple, but it's just so right! Did it and fixed it up.
bow.gif
bow.gif
I'm a happy camper. Until i learn the using thingy, i'll stick with cout since i know that at least ;D

EDIT: Well, i just got to strings, i tried, and i'm getting ANOTHER compiler error! This is starting to piss me off. >< However, i must persist if i'm to remake OoT on DS (That is my ultimate goal in life at the moment)

#include
#include
#include
{
int first = 10;
int second = 20;
int result;
result = first == second ? "equal" : "not equal";
cout

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. I believe DevKitPro uses GCC to compile.

2. result = first == second ? "equal" : "not equal";

I think there should be an if statement there. Dude - for beginning use TurboC++ 3.0 - that's what I used. Then move up. Type your stuff in notepad or something and compile with gcc.

3. Visual Basic C++ does not exist. Visual Basic is a language and Visual C++ is a language - I think you mean Visual Studio.

Good luck in your quest for programming. My best suggestion - learn an easier language to get the hang of it first - like Visual Basic.

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ya, sorry. i meant visual C++. I guess I'll look at TurboC++ 3.0. As long as its free.
And i don't want to learn visual basic. In school i'm learning actionscript in flash, and my little prior knowledge of C# and C++ is helping out a bit. (being able to distinguish variables, etc.)

Heinrisch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am currently working on a assignment from school. We are supposed to write a specific program in Haskell.. anyone who is a haskell guru in here?
tongue.gif

rippon

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Couple of things...

Most programming for the DS is indeed done with C/C++, but the DS doesn't have 'console' or 'windows forms', as those are both part of your OS, and the DS doesn't really have an OS. Also, 'cout' is a stream, and the DS doesn't have any streams set up by default (at least not in the official compiler, dunno about the homebrew) so I would try to avoid that in favor of printf() which the DS can support. Before you'll be able to print a string though, you would first need to create a set of font images, load them into VRAM, and write your own printf routine to convert strings into tile indices
tongue.gif
It can be a LOT of work.

Oddly enough, however, while text-based stuff is the easiest thing to do on a PC, you'd probably have a lot more luck on the DS if you just went straight into graphics. I would suggest learning the basics of C/C++ on your PC with Visual Studio Express (which is free), and once you're comfortable writing simple games there, download a DS or GBA dev kit and start trying out graphics.

P.S. The DS is neither DirectX nor OpenGL, although it works SOMEWHAT similar to OpenGL. So, ignore DirectX unless you want to do PC or XBox games.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
You could try DSLua, it's much easier and in my opinion funner.
It depends what he wants out of it. DSLua will give you a quicker working result, but it really will only make DS games. Learning C and C++ is a transferrable skill he can use for writing other programs later on. And once you've learnt one decent programming language you pick up the techniques that make it much simpler to expand and learn others.

C++ is fine as a first language with the right kind of tutorials; you need one that really explains the basics of good programming as well as the language. There's more to read, but it's worth it in the long run.
happy.gif

imgod22222

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, i'll look into it. I downloaded it, read and saw it didn't work with SuperCard, then i saw an .sc.nds file so I'll redownload it and see how it works. ndslib needs which compiler, minGW or cygwin? And how do i set up Dev-C++ to work with it?

Anyways, i emailed Nintendo asking them for OoT's source code and this is what the email read:

Hello and thank you for contacting Nintendo,

From time to time we hear from our fans with programming experience who wish to
acquire development kits for purposes of game development. While we applaud
your desire to develop software for our systems, Nintendo's development kits are
only made available to established game developers.

This means that you must have a stable business organization (adequate office
facilities, equipment, personnel and financial resources) in order to ensure a
secure and effective environment for working with its publisher, be it Nintendo
or a third-party licensee. Also, you must have demonstrated the ability to
develop and program excellent software for Nintendo video game systems or for
other video game or computer systems.

Sincerely,

Nintendo of America Inc.
Dervin Camden

Nintendo's home page: http://www.nintendo.com/
Power Line (Automated Product Info): (425) 885-7529

------

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:
-----------------

Posted At: 15:49:27.000 10/06/2006
Posted To: Nintendo
Subject: Webform: Nintendo DS > Other

Excuse me, Im a great fan of the Zelda series and was wondering: I heard about a
release on the DS. I would like to make my own. I was curious to know whether or
not Nintendo would be kind enough to share The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
source code and other various files so I could attempt a homebrew remake. If you
could I would really appreciate it.

I thought it was pretty funny myself. Well if anyone can flame Nintendo quoting their "program excellent software for Nintendo" by talking about any crap games they've released and should be mortified to have put Nintendo's name on go right ahead. See if the dude at the other side of the computer gives up.
tongue.gif
Or maybe don't. That would be mean.
tongue.gif

So I'll read up a bit on computer C++ then apply those concepts to the DS. And by chance is the font file that comes with supercard's updates supposed to be for developers? I couldn't add it to microsoft's fonts.

thefoxhole

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering what skill or skills are involved in making a nds game.. is there any program that is fairly easy to use.. I am interested in making a starcraft type of game. How many hours are involved as well. thanks fox

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
I just want to make one thing clear before you move on:
LEARN THE BASICS OF C++ before you go on.

I suggest buying a book which takes you through datatypes, templates, arrays, object oriented programming, io, api, sdk, general programming guidelines and so on.

After that, you might have a look at nds C++ programming via the libs which the homebrew scene has made.

thefoxhole:
making a starcraft type of game takes atleast a year if you want it to become the same size.
then you have to paint all the characters/creatures, animate them, add sound for them, create the maps.
programming part:
* you have ai which needs serious thought.
* game rules
* menus
* hud/gui/ui
* code handling for all the animations, graphics, sound
* mapeditor! + map fileloader
* etc etc...

there are simply endless points here which I simply can't think of in one week for example... the list will become just bigger and bigger, because u realise more and more things as the time goes.

simply put, one man can do all of the job. however it will take GREAT time from him. even more time if he needs to learn everything.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over