Hardware Program to help find your DS if you lose it in the house.

Tcpnnect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My brother has a tendency to lose his 3ds. I was wondering if I could make some sort of background app that makes a noise when prompted remotely.

I don't know much, but if the DS isn't turned off, and is simply closed, would is be possible to have a program I could have running in the background waiting to get a signal to make noise. So that when my brother loses his 3ds I can just go to my laptop and have it start making noise.

Tcpnnect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think he can get some of that nfc tag keychains which you can track via app on your phone

Yeah, and while that would work, I want to try my hand at coding. I was wondering is this sort of thing possible? Where to start? Ect ect.

Also it would help users everywhere who misplace there 3ds around the house.

Tcpnnect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure sleep mode will suspend any audio. You could make the led flash if you want to take the risk of fucking with the mcu.

So there is no way I could override that without causing serious problems. Welp, I guess that makes this idea dead in the water then.

isanchez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think this would be something that you can do if this is your first project on the 3ds because you would how to know how wireless works on the 3ds to get it to connect with something else and you would also need no know how to get your program so work while the 3ds is in sleep mode which I don't know if it's possible and lets not forget that it would probably kill the battery and the 3ds speakers aren't that loud to begin with.

Tcpnnect

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think this would be something that you can do if this is your first project on the 3ds because you would how to know how wireless works on the 3ds to get it to connect with something else and you would also need no know how to get your program so work while the 3ds is in sleep mode which I don't know if it's possible and lets not forget that it would probably kill the battery and the 3ds speakers aren't that loud to begin with.

So it probably is best to get one of those key card finders then.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure sleep mode will suspend any audio. You could make the led flash if you want to take the risk of fucking with the mcu.
So there is no way I could override that without causing serious problems. Welp, I guess that makes this idea dead in the water then.
Getting a MCU brick from the LED can only happen on 8.x or below. Recent firmwares, you can mess with it safely.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pretty sure sleep mode will suspend any audio.
Of course such a "program" could exit standby at will :)

But there are quite a few issues:
  1. Wifi isn't always connected during standby, rather it switches "randomly" between wifi and streetpass mode
  2. This would need to always run in the background - therefore it would most likely have to be implemented in Rosalina (assuming he wants to use Luma 8+), writing kernel-mode stuff isn't fun especially for something that adds such a very novel (for a 3DS) feature
  3. Is it even possible to output sound from there? Obviously it technically is, but actually doing that - without conflicting with any other sound-using software currently open (or not!) - is to the best of my knowledge unexplored territory
  4. For being one of those very rare times there's something on topic for that section, this isn't in the 3DS Homebrew section!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Getting a MCU brick from the LED can only happen on 8.x or below.
Not sure where that mis-fact originated from, but to the best of my knowledge nobody actually proved such a cause-effect

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Of course such a "program" could exit standby at will :)

But there are quite a few issues:
  1. Wifi isn't always connected during standby, rather it switches "randomly" between wifi and streetpass mode
  2. This would need to always run in the background - therefore it would most likely have to be implemented in Rosalina (assuming he wants to use Luma 8+), writing kernel-mode stuff isn't fun especially for something that adds such a very novel (for a 3DS) feature
  3. Is it even possible to output sound from there? Obviously it technically is, but actually doing that - without conflicting with any other sound-using software currently open (or not!) - is to the best of my knowledge unexplored territory
  4. For being one of those very rare times there's something on topic for that section, this isn't in the 3DS Homebrew section!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not sure where that mis-fact originated from, but to the best of my knowledge nobody actually proved such a cause-effect
I've never seen anything interrupt standby. I'm not saying processes can't be run from standby, but as far as I know, there is no way to overcome this mode with a background process.

Getting a MCU brick from the LED can only happen on 8.x or below. Recent firmwares, you can mess with it safely.
Now that you mention it I remember something about that when they were working on twloader. But I don't remember what changed in the newer firmware.

But still, something would happen if you wrote an out if bounds value.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on