Hacking Program to change the versionsnumber of an IOS that is in wad-form?

Slowking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm searching for a program that can change the versions-number of an IOS that is in wad-form and fakesign it afterwards so that you can actually install it. Is there such a thing?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on what you want it for.
The whole point of the IOS system is to allow updates/improvements while making it relatively easy to retain compatibility with earlier (read only) software, as mentioned in various posts ( http://hackmii.com/2009/02/why-the-wii-wil...get-any-better/ ) this is also what limits the wii somewhat when compared to the 360 and PS3 and in some respects for various softmods.
If you want to install an earlier IOS as another that is otherwise in use (install IOS13 say as IOS 40) with normal software the I advise against it (same the other way around IOS40 as IOS13)

On the other hand if you want to take IOS40 and install it as something else like IOS240 (one not used in regular operations) I instead suggest a cIOS, at this point they are hacked versions of existing IOS modules. You also have cIOScorp and softmii* which is every IOS customised as they would be for a cIOS but installed as regular numbers, personally I would not be inclined to do such a thing.

You can then hardpatch or softpatch code to run on a different IOS using normal methods.

*there is other stuff that softmii does but for most this is the main one.

D

Deleted-171178

he means like making IOS37 version 65535 so ninty cant update it through the server

Slowking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
beegee7730 said:
he means like making IOS37 version 65535 so ninty cant update it through the server
Actually that's not the reason I want it but yeah that's what I meant.
Shouldn't we be able to do something like this as long as we can fakesign it? Is there a program that can do it?

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
question. cIOSCORP on LU64+ (or any unhackable wii that cant be downgraded without bricking)

now, i dont have an 'unhackable' wii, but i hear that installing cIOSCORP on one that has been hack enabled using softmii 3.0 will brick the wii because the IOS' that have been patched to 249 (i think that's what cIOSCORP is, correct me if wrong) are older IOS' from something like system menu 3.2 or something.

so my question is, if someone patched all of the new IOS' from 4.0, then would the resulting cIOS' mean that backups could be played through the disc channel? like an updated IOS version of cIOSCORP?

just a thought, doesnt really have anything at all to do with this topic lol

Slowking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My question is: Why are you hijacking this thread that has obviously nothing to do with your question and don't just ask in the noob paradise?

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
my reply is: STOP CRYING, it was only a quick question that could be answered by someone who clearly has the knowledge to do so if they can answer yours.

besides that, why the hell would i post it in noob paradise where noobs congregate to have their questions ignored? perhaps if the more experienced people visited there more often, i wouldnt have an issue with any noobs attempting to answer it when they dont even know what an IOS is.

+ it saves time for people reading this topic if they answer both at once instead of going into 2 different threads.

just chillllll lol
smile.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I am aware it is only an 8bit version number (2^8=256 combinations: 0-255) and the effort required to increase said number would likely be astronomical* (such a value is likely contained within a header and given IOS are a fairly low level part of the system it would likely involve changing the IOS loaders for absolutely no gain (assuming you are sensible and do not update).

*you might be able to make a kind of secondary loader/parser (think a tweak geckoOS) able to read an IOS module altered in such a manner but frankly why bother.

I know you said it was not your intention but while I am answering questions I might as well: installing as "unused version number", it would not be all that difficult for Nintendo to do things against unusual version numbers (quite in fact a cIOS was overwritten in the 4.0 update (patchmii), just not the "useful" ones).

cIOScorp on "unhackable" wii, afraid I have not read up on the reasons behind the "unhackable" wii yet but if indeed any bricks are simply caused by old IOS modules causing problems (earlier versions lack features or something) with new hardware/software/checks in the "unhackable" models then I can see no reason why using the new IOS as a base for further hacks would not work.

Original topic: to my knowledge no "all in one" tool exists mainly as it is fairly pointless. If you did want an all in one tool then I suggest looking at the cIOS installers (online versions) and/or patchmii core http://wiibrew.org/wiki/PatchMii , One designed solely for IOS36: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/CIOS_Patchmii_Installer you appear to want a more generalised one though.
I can see no reason why anyone would do this though when stuff like the various cIOS modules exist.
If you wanted to go in manually I am pretty sure the tools exist:
step one would be get an IOS module in wad form (NUS downloader if you do not have one: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/NUS_Downloader )
From here you can unpack or otherwise change things (most tools like the IOS36 one above do it on the wii) and repack to wad.
Install as you normally would.

Slowking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mikeyt1998 said:
my reply is: STOP CRYING, it was only a quick question that could be answered by someone who clearly has the knowledge to do so if they can answer yours.

besides that, why the hell would i post it in noob paradise where noobs congregate to have their questions ignored? perhaps if the more experienced people visited there more often, i wouldnt have an issue with any noobs attempting to answer it when they dont even know what an IOS is.

+ it saves time for people reading this topic if they answer both at once instead of going into 2 different threads.

just chillllll lol
smile.gif
Yeah a quick question that has nothing to do with this thread. Why don't you open your own damn thread.
And FAST6191 why are you answering him? As Staff-Member you shouldn't incurage this behavior.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
lol get ur head out of your arse and smell the daisies!

i never opened a new thread because it would be a waste of space and its not really major help i need is it? was just a simple question, i didnt HAVE to know, but seeing as though the thread was about IOS' i knew it would attract expert help like FAST!

plus what the hells up with you, he answered both questions, you know what you want and i know what i want.

he's a mod, it's his job to be helpful.

you sound like a kid that fancies the teacher and if she even looks at anyone else to answer a question you get in a mood and sulk coz you didnt get your own way lol

anyways, sorry about that rant.

and thanks for the info FAST.
smile.gif

Slowking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mikeyt1998 said:
i never opened a new thread because it would be a waste of space and its not really major help i need is it? was just a simple question, i didnt HAVE to know, but seeing as though the thread was about IOS' i knew it would attract expert help like FAST!
Well you are a waste of space and you are here anyway. So just open a fucking thread if you have a question that doesn't fit in existing ones.

D

Deleted-171178

Waninkoko has the ability to do this, his IOS250 is version 65535 or something gargantuanly stupid.
It would be kinda cool making an even safer CIOS.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slowking said:
I'm searching for a program that can change the versions-number of an IOS that is in wad-form and fakesign it afterwards so that you can actually install it. Is there such a thing?

As you stated it I would say "no".

However to accomplish what you are trying to do I think you would just need to unpack the WAD, alter the value at 0x1DC in the TMD (using a hex editor) and re-pack the WAD, making sure you fake sign it with the WAD packer.

Of course you would need a trucha enabled IOS in order to install it.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
The version number system is dumb. Even if you install an IOS as version 65535, it can still be overwritten.

The original poster did not state his intentions for changing the title version of an IOS. In fact I believe he stated that it was not for the purpose of preventing it from being overwritten.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sure, I was just pointing it out for the other people who seemed to think changing the title version was a great idea. To change the title ID/IOS slot the wad would have to be unpacked/repacked just like you described.

Thomas83Lin

Retro Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.thomas83lincodes.com
XP
Country
United States
Slowking said:
Doesn't look like anyone ever answered your question, this is simple to do, just unpack the wad open the tmd in a hex editor edit the following and just re-pack and install, heres a example in the pic below of IOS55v4633
which 4633 is dec, just convert to Hex which equals 1219, hope this helps, this is the same throughout IOS's wads

Heres the Pic i uploaded
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9774/hexznw.jpg

just change 1219 to FFFF to max it out, then save and re-pack, I'm not sure if anyone ever made a program to automate this process though

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
can this be done for changing the slot where it gets installed...?? lets say cIOS55 (from CIOScorp) to get it as IOS250...!!
huh.gif

EDIT: and use Alt+PtnScrn to take just the window you are on
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: im going off now...I'll turn off my brain