Professor wants me to Homebrew his Wii to play DVD's on it

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by GH0, May 2, 2011.

1. GH0
    OP

Member GH0 Advanced Member

United States
    My professor wants me to homebrew his Wii to allow it to play DVDs.

There are a few things though that I know he either will forget about it, won't have or is just not willing to cooperate with.

1) He doesn't have an SD card to use so everything will need to be ran from the Wii System Menu.
    2) Can Black Wii's play movie DVDs? Or do the new DVD Drives that they have not allow that to happen?

2. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    1. He's cheap as fuck. SD cards go for less then a few bucks nowadays. Either let him fix that or tell him to gtfo.
    2. Black Wii's won't play dvd's.

3. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    Seconded. what, you can get a 2 GB for 2 fucking dollars nowadays?

And yeah, it won't play DVDs, he will have to play stuff from a HDD or SD card.

4. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    I have to note that if you can find (or create) a full channel of wiimc, it will install everything in the wii system menu. But you still need the SD card to hack the wii in the first place. And as mentioned twice: the newer models won't read anything but retail wii discs. You could buy and install an old drive, but it's not exactly a clean solution.

5. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    hack his wii for him using your sd card
    install a WiiMC forwarder channel, save the channel to your prof's usb (since he's too cheap to buy an sd card), then he will be able to watch movies off a usb without requiring an sd card.

Presumably your prof as a computer, there are many tools to rip dvd's and save them to a USB. You can help ur prof learn how to do that so he can watch his dvd's by backing them up to his harddrive and playing them off his USB via WiiMC without having to replace the dvd drive. But yea, probably better to just plug his PC directly into the tv via hdmi so you're not limited to 480p on the Wii.

Personally, I don't think its a big deal not being able to play movie dvd's on the Wii. Who doesn't have a dvd-player of some sort anyways? I can play dvd's using my laptop, my dvd player, my PS3 and my Wii... and using the Wii would be my last choice to play a dvd anyways.

6. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The best option is to buy said professer a 2gb sd card. Sit back, earn reward points.

7. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    It's probably less hassle to buy him a dvd player.

8. obcd

Member obcd GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Belgium
    Don't do it. As a professor, he will test out all kind of dangerous stuff. He will brick his wii and will blame you for it.
    Further, wathever price you ask for the mod, he will find it to expensive. Even if you will give him a 2Gig for free,
    he will be un satisfied for not having a 4 Gig. Just tell him he can't play dvd's on his wii. It's the truth.
    He can play movies, but that wasn't the request. You won't get honour of your work...
    My excuses to all teachers and professors reading this who are different.
    My writing is a statement like the saying that "Blonds are dumb..." I know.

9. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    As said for that, install PriiLoader and BootMii, just in case...