Professor Layton series - PAL or USA dub

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Fel, Jun 14, 2011.

?

Which version do you prefer?

1. USA version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. British version

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I've played them both and like them equally

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. My own language (IT, DE, FR)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Japanese. Moonrunes!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jun 14, 2011
  1. Fel
    OP

Member Fel GBAtemp's Adventurer

Czech Republic
    As you all surely know, the Layton series has different voice actors, some slight script changes and even several different puzzles in the USA and PAL versions. Which one do you prefer and why? To me it seems that the PAL version altogether sounds a little bit more dark, while the USA one is more lightish because of the different wording.

My thanks go to Aether for finding these two great videos which illustrate the differences between UK and USA Luke using ingame voice selection
    [youtube]veTZBlHraDw[/youtube]

[youtube]S58gvJF3KoM[/youtube]

And the original videos which illustrate various points:
    Lost Future trailer
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cGE31hb51o[/youtube]

Unwound Future trailer
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4Pj59qV6YU[/youtube]

USA Diabolical Box
    [​IMG]
    UK Pandora's Box
    [​IMG]

2. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I don't know which one I played but I saw the trailer for the one I didn't play and good lord, Luke's voice is retarded.

3. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    Maybe you saw the British version, not everyone likes Luke's cockney accent.

And did you know that both were voiced by women? It's so funny when young boys are often in anime and games voiced by girls instead of guys, because their voice won't change. [​IMG]

4. MaxNuker

Member MaxNuker GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute

Portugal
    i've played the Europe Version... never played the USA version (if i remember correctly) xD

5. Miss Panda

Member Miss Panda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I played the so called 'British' version. They still speak in American rather than English.

6. pistone

Member pistone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

in your heart...coz secretly you love me !!!!
    Albania
    i played only the italian verson and it rocks !!!!

7. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    Oh yeah, I added a third option to account for the other dubs [​IMG]

8. Paarish

Member Paarish Connor's Nublet

United Kingdom
    dub-wise I prefer PAL. I suppose I just prefer the VAs over the USA version

9. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I prefer the US version. Hate Luke's voice in the PAL version.

10. Miss Panda

United Kingdom
    No they are caricatures of English people and use American rather than English with the occasional bit of English chucked in for effect.

11. Shiro09

Member Shiro09 AAI2 Localisation Team

Australia
    Layton's first line in the bottom video kinda sounds like Brock from Pokemon.

12. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    You do know that there are a lot of British people doing the voice acting for the UK version, right?

13. Miss Panda

United Kingdom
    Look I'm English you are not OK! In any case you missed the point I didn't complain about the accents I complained about the Americanisation. For f's sake they have called the lead character Hershel. [​IMG]
    And by the by Professor Layton, the Inspector and Don Paolo are played by an American.

14. boktor666

Member boktor666 Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!

Netherlands
    PAL has a better Hershel layton tbh, but luke is better in the usa verison.. although brithish OLDER luke is better then the usa... i dunno, both the dubs have their charms.

15. Waflix

Member Waflix El Psy Congroo

Netherlands
    I detest the Dutch version. That's because I detest dubbing afterwards. That would actually mean I should listen to the Japanese version, but I downloaded the British version first, and I got used to that voice.
    It is even more annoying to chance from voice actor, I think, so I use the British version.

16. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    Oh look, you have an Indian flag, so you must be an Indian! No, I'm actually from- That doesn't matter, everyone who has an Indian flag is Indian! Because no one moves to other countries, OF COURSE.
    Now that helps your argument a lot, doesn't it? [​IMG]
    Plus nowyou're saying the exact opposite of what you had said before as you DID talk about accents. "They still speak in American rather than English."
    And saying that Christopher Miller did voice overs for three characters is moot because good voice actors can imitate different accents and he certainly does sound British as Hershel. Sorry, but your all your points are invalid.

17. Miss Panda

United Kingdom
    One I know for a fact you aren't English, based on what you already posted it is clear you are not, so don't try to infer that you are because that would be a blatent lie. Your attitude and phraseology suggests either Eastern European or possibly North American that didn't make it to University. And as you clearly want me to guess, I don't want to disappoint but some of your English sounds very iffy so who knows. [​IMG]

I am not saying the opposite. You just don't understand plain English. And it isn't for you to tell someone in another country whether or not something is authentic in terms of their language or culture. I wouldn't dream of telling an American what is culturally authentic in terms of their culture. Culturally imperialist.... much? You clearly wouldn't know an English accent if you fell over it. And as I already told you my main issue was not the accents but the Americanisation. There is no such thing as a British accent. There are English accents, Scottish accents, Welsh accents and Northern Irish accents, all completely unique. So get over yourself and don't tell me what is accurate or not in terms of my language and my culture. Because you clearly know bugger all about it and it isn't for you to judge.

18. Fel
    OP

Czech Republic
    @Panda since this is off-topic:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

19. .Chris

Member .Chris Pffft.

United States
    I would say both.

20. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    Am I the only one who noticed that Miss Panda repeatedly said that Americans speak American? HERP DERP, I'M AMERICAN, I SPEAK MER CAN! No, actually, we speak American English that doesn't differ to terribly far from British English. Pull your head out of your ass and quit trolling the thread Miss Panda. You can go rage in a corner or something. There is no just plain English anymore. The many cultures have subdivided the language into a few categories due primarily to slang words and history in general.

I've only played the USA releases of the Layton games, and I tend to not listen to voice acting due to me being able to read substantially faster. The wording for other parts of the world in general seems to be a little darker. I would have preferred if the darker wording was here too.