Production Costs Of a DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by -=ZeldaFan=-, Jul 30, 2007.

Jul 30, 2007
  1. -=ZeldaFan=-

Newcomer -=ZeldaFan=- Newbie

May 25, 2007
    United Kingdom
    does any one of how much it actually cost to make a DS/DSL
    just wondering because im sending mine back to Nintendo and for a fee of £25.25
    I get a brand new one and a new warranty.WTF.
  2. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

Nov 5, 2002
    United Kingdom
    I don't know, but in the US the DS Lite retails for around $130 (£64). Supposing the retailer makes (at a guess) $15 and Nintendo make (at a guess) $25 per unit, for example, it would put the DS at $90 (£44) to manufacture, which doesn't sound too unreasonable to suggest, maybe even a tad less. I would suspect it costs them more than £25.25 to manufacture (and ship) a DS at least.

Also I presume they do something with the DS'es that get returned, (it'd be a shame if they were just thrown away!) but I've never seen refurbs up for sale over here, though I just noticed EBgames are selling refurbished units, which may be from Nintendo?

My DS Lite has just gone out of warranty last month and it has a cracked hinge, I forgot to send it back in time lol >_>;, so I don't know whether to send it back to Nintendo and fork up the cash for a new machine, buy a shock case for £20, or be a cheap ass and use a soldering iron to repair the crack manually (I don't know if this would be an effective solution but someone on the forum suggested it!). Hmm... [​IMG]