Product placement finally coming to UK telly?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by George Dawes, Jun 29, 2010.

1. George Dawes
    OP

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    It’s been a major part of American TV for decades now, but it looks as though product placement is coming to the UK, with telly watchdog Ofcom publishing a series of proposals for its introduction over here.

Which, in a nutshell, means that we could soon see Simon Cowell on The X Factor and Britain’s Got Talent draped in more logos than your average Formula One driver. Perhaps.

Ofcom say that the guidelines are “designed to enable commercial broadcasters to access revenue streams where possible whilst protecting audiences”. But the whole thing will be carefully regulated, with the use of a symbol at the beginning and end of every programme that features product placement. Sort of like Channel Four’s old red triangle but with a different kind of money shot in the middle.

Among stuff that will be banned from being plugged under the proposed guidelines are tobacco, alcohol, gambling, medicine, baby milk and food or drink that is high in fat, salt or sugar.

Additionally, news, current affairs, consumer affairs and religious programming will not include any product placement. Oh, and children’s programmes. After all, they wouldn’t want to blur the message that a wide range of Bob The Builder merchandising is available by having him use a Black & Decker drill now would they…?

The Ofcom proposals for product placement can be found here.

Source: Bitterwallet.

Just what is needed, uk tv descending to the quality of the typical us/italian show. At least pharmaceuticals and "baby" formula are excluded, along with childrens tv shows - small mercies and all that.

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Hopefully it will mainly be ITV that uses it and I can happily go on ignoring them (not that I really watch TV any more).

"and food or drink that is high in fat, salt or sugar"- interesting that they should go this way but I suppose they could not come right out and say no fast food.

3. George Dawes
    OP

Member George Dawes Wanker

Trinidad and Tobago
    I imagine that it will mainly be ITV, Five, Sky (and all the smaller chans on sky) that use it, but I can see them all doing it to various degrees.

Like you, I don't really watch TV - guess I'll be watching even less than the couple of hours a year I now watch.