Sao Mortel

OP
Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Its very hard to compare new processors because theres so many kind now. Im looking to get the new exopc slate which got a Intel atom N270 1.6GHz as processor i want to make sure its at least as fast as my old amd sempron 2.53 ghz(which was low end in 2005!) as i wanna be working with this unit also. I do a lot of video encoding.

edit guess i was wrong its Intel Atom Pineview-M N450 1.66 GHz but still its just names

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there's this great website. it's called google.

from there, you can probably find other sites, like tomshardware, anandtech, maximumpc, etc. there are so many more credible sites that i can't remember.

i bet if you told google to find a review for your specific chip, it just might be able to do that, too.

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
INTEL

if you look at there site, there is lots of stuff to pick the right proccessor just for your needs
btw, intel i3, i5 and i7 are the latest ones there are
also intel dopesn't rate processors by there clock speed, it's more like if they have 1 core, 2 or 4 cores in one processor

Sao Mortel

OP
Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks Rydian At least you are being helpful. Thats deceiving a lot i was looking something to replace my 'workstation'. I don't want something better just AS FAST as what i have its good enough for me. I paid 400$ for my computer 5 years ago I cant figure a new device cant be as fast. My processor is a 3400+ 1.8ghz i was wrong the 2.53 is my other computer a pentium IV...

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Who directed you to the Atom?

It's NOT a normal processor, like I said. Modern processors ARE a lot faster, except for the Atom, because it's got a very specific goal (low power usage for small devices).
like netbooks for example

Sao Mortel

OP
Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
Youre right Rydian i found with some googling some benchmark test on the atom with CPU Mark 99 and theyhad like 117 result while my machine got 192 thats almost twice as fast.... thats sucks and lowest lowest end today for notebook= celeron 900 would get 309 ...
I ll check it out thanks for lighting me...

I got it figured out... Stay away from pentium M and atom and youll be ok

ACDCGAMER

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
You're gonna want at least a dual-core, if not a quad core if you want to do some fast video encoding. Look up hardware websites like Anandtech, Tom's Hardware, and similar sites by searching on Google for good processor-related news.

But basically, the current Intel processors are the i3, i5, and i7. i3s are strictly dual-core, i5s are dual and quad core, and i7s are quad core with hyperthreading. I believe some i5 dual cores have hyperthreading but I'm not sure. But then again, I'm being quite technical here so here's in layman's terms;

i3s are more entry level, i5s are mid to high-end and i7 is high-end.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse