zjil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi,

i have a modded wii (one of the first types) with a soldered wiikey in it,
I never had problems playing original games and backup games failed 1 time out of 100 so it worked all fine since i updated from 3.2E to 4.0E

I get DRE's all the time while playing backups (after max 2-3min) or my wii doesn't even regcognizes the backup game, original games now sometimes give a DRE

Is this due to the fact I updated to 4.0E or is there something wrong with the wiikey or lens (dirty?)

thanks for your help

supermodchips

Trophies
XP
Country
I know that it has nothing to do with new firmware as I did the exact same thing with my wii. It sounds like you could have a dusty drive. I would suggest getting the official lense cleaning kit as that could help with the errors.

zjil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the info

well i have firmware 1.9S (PAL) so that should work

is it possible that there's a bad connection between some of the wires and the wiikey and that i can still play backup games for a few minutes?
If not i'll use a lens cleaning dvd

supermodchips

Trophies
XP
Country
It is possible but unlikely that there is an issue with the install. Generally if something isn't connected properly, the whole chip will cease to work. The lens cleaning kit is your best option but make sure you get the official one to minimize damage to the drive. It is designed in a specific way so that it vleans the whole drive.

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
same thing here.

my personal launch wii with wiikey is finally starting to error on some discs. retail and backup. the DVD drive is really noisy these days and i have changed the settings in wiikey config with no noticeable difference. i think the wii just is not going to last as long as my SNESs NESs and N64s plain and simple. my 2nd launch wii had a dead DVD drive a few months ago so i will be using USB loader soon

i will buy that wii cleaner if it can help at all.

zjil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i bought a cleaning dvd and gave it a try, a little dust came of the lens but this seemed not to be the problem cause my backups still have the same problem and most of them aren't recognized anymore, i think the wiikey is (almost) dead

so i might have to buy a new modchip (wiikey2)or could these problems be caused by something else(i guess not)

are the usb loaders as good as a well installed wiikey, without errors and good gameplay?

da_xman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zjil said:
i bought a cleaning dvd and gave it a try, a little dust came of the lens but this seemed not to be the problem cause my backups still have the same problem and most of them aren't recognized anymore, i think the wiikey is (almost) dead

so i might have to buy a new modchip (wiikey2)or could these problems be caused by something else(i guess not)

are the usb loaders as good as a well installed wiikey, without errors and good gameplay?

Zjil - I had the same problem and I thought it was Firmware version, Wiikey, and lens...but it turned out to be the type of DVD-R's I was using (cheaper TDK brand). I reburned all my games on Taiyo Yuden's and Verbatims and all my games read about 99% of the time. Before it was only around 40% of the time. Hope this helps!

HDCM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Could be the laser dieing....

Could also be the chip failing as well, we have had replaced some of the wiikey1 chips for customers who were complaining about similar issues. Turned out the installer they saw first installed a fake wiikey (Apparently his a reputable modder in Sydney lol - i wont name and shame)

zjil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I replaced the wiikey by a wiikey 2,
first installed it like recommanded on the official site, result: original games work fine, backups gave dre's all the time so I re-installed the wiikey 2 with alternatif points for G, 3.3v and GnD and back ups were still giving dre's when starting up the game. I burned a new game and it played fine altough I used the same dvd as all my other backups that give dre's, tdk dvd-r 16X or dvd TDK+r 16X, wrote the iso with imgburn 4X speed) I burned some other games and they also work fine. My old old backups won't play anymore, If I re-burn them on tdk+R 16X they work,

i think the lens isn't functioning vey well anymore

Or could this have something to do with the 4.0E update?

Thanks for the help

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo