Homebrew Problems with USB device for homebrew

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been using my wii for a while now to play videos/movies on my TV, as my laptop doesn't have an external port to connect it to the TV, but i'm getting fed up of having to swap files on and off of a 1/2GB SD card.

I decided to try and use my Ipod Classic 120GB as an external hard drive, but so far having no luck.

I have the files i want on my ipod, and it is set to disk mode(use as an external hard drive).

I've tried using Mplayerwii, MplayerCE, and a couple of other builds of Mplayer.

I've even tried Installing the cIOS for USB2.0, but still no luck.

when i try to load files from USB on all the versions of Mplayer i have, it freezes for a couple of seconds, and then looks as if it should be displaying the files on the USB device, but with no file listing, or even listing of directories on the Ipod.

I know that my ipod is plugged in and connected properly, because it charges, and Isusb recognises it as well.

Anybody know where i'm going wrong, or how to fix this problem?

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
in one of the distros of Wii Linux, you can play stuff off iPods, try that. can't remember which one, but i'll find out quickly

EDIT: It's XWhiite. Find it here: http://www.tehskeen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9777. Dunno if it can play videos, but definetly music that's actually on iPod (i.e. transferred with iTunes or other program, not just stored on it as external drive)

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks.

still, do you have any idea why the things i've been trying haven't worked?

are only certain devices supported by the wii?

i've checked, and the Ipod is in FAT32, so the filesystem shouldn't be a problem.

haven't got a clue what it is

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Eddie_Brock said:
Give GeexBox a try as well. Its linux like XWhiite, and seems to be pretty compatible with most devices.

I've used it to watch .AVI off my USB HD and it works awesome.

Is GeexBox simple to install? just a matter of putting it in the /apps folder like anything else?
I looked at XWhite and it seemed really complicated and daunting to install.

madtamski said:
Did you re-install DVDx after installing the cIOS for USB2.0?

QUOTEYou must then then reinstall DVDx using advanced mode and selecting IOS202.
Source: http://code.google.com/p/mplayer-ce/wiki/USB20

...and I take it your IPOD's drive is formatted to FAT(32)?

Yes, after installing the cIOS, i uninstalled DVDx, and reinstalled it to IOS202
Yes, my IPOD is formatted to FAT32

i don't think the USB 2.0 is the problem though, as no version of Mplayer was recognising my Ipod at all, before i installed the usb2 cIOS

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Geexbox was a breeze to install. Given that I just downloaded it from the HomeBrew Browser, but there was no custom files/wads to install, just a basic HB app.

That being said, I don't know if it will help you with your iPod problem, but its worth a shot as its a simple program to get up and running.

j2011

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for all the replies.

I installed geexbox, and it worked instantly.
recognised my ipod and could play videos from it.

i did have trouble getting geexbox to play dvds though.
just to double check, can it actually do this, cause it would be a real pain to have to use 2 separate programs to watch stuff from my Ipod, and from DVDs.

also, is there a way to check wether USB2 is working correctly on the wii, just to double check that i installed it properly?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16