Problems with SHIFT+JIS, ASCII, and ANSI...

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by mumeix, Jun 28, 2008.

Jun 28, 2008
  1. mumeix
    OP

Newcomer mumeix Member

United States
    i'm working on a game translation that uses SHIFT+JIS to hold its text. since SHIFT+JIS uses two values for text (example being values 8260 equals A,) i would like to be able to add single value text (example 4E equals N instead of the SHIFT+JIS 826D equals N.) any suggestions?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Some games do not have support in the font for it but the shiftJIS spec supports the ASCII encoding (00-7f with two execptions 5c and 7e being the yen sign and overline in place of backslash and tilde if memory serves).

Other than this you are now in proper hacking teritory and quite frankly the change can be anything from xml esque table tweaking to font tweaking (nitroSDK format or otherwise) to full blown ASM hacking (font is defined in the binary, probably ARM9 core binary rather than an overlay).

Also if you have not seen it yet this tool is quite nice when doing a simple string tweak:
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=77749&hl=

deufeufeu did a fair bit of work on game fonts (even what you are wanting to do) so it may be worth looking up his posts and site.

3. mumeix
    OP

Newcomer mumeix Member

United States
    thanks for the help! i'll definitely look into the posts you mentioned. i've thought about drawing in a font and then using pointers to pull it instead of the SHIFT+JIS one. not sure how well that would work though...