Hacking Problems with RetroArch on Rebug 4.82.2 REX

The1stOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I mentioned this problem as a side-note in a previous post, and I think someone recommended me going back to Rebug 4.81.2 (but I don't know why exactly).

I can install several different versions (all CEX) of RetroArch, all from the latest nightly build(s) and the latest official 1.7.3, down to 1.7.2, 1.7.1, 1.6.0, and so on... (I even tried the "RetroArch 1.7.1 Extended Version" from PSX-Place) but I always end up with the same problem.

I pick to load content in the menu and choose one of my ROMs (be it NES, SNES, SMD, GBA, GB, ...), and then, when asked, I pick the corresponding core to run it. But all that happens is a black screen. Half of the times I can press L3+R3 to get back to the menu and close the content and try to load something else, and half of the times it hangs my PS3. The same thing happens even if I try to load a core first, and then the ROM. To get things working at all, I have had to go as far back as to version 1.0.0.2 to get any ROMs working. Can someone PLEASE help me get a somewhat "new version" of RetroArch working on Rebug 4.82.2 REX?

Last edited by The1stOne,

Butane_Murphy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem. I was able to get past the black screen by unzipping my game roms. Apparently, .zip is not handled by default, although I've been told that adding the MAME core will add that functionality. I already unzipped all of my files, so I haven't had the opportunity to try. Aside from that, I've had issues with Retroarch freezing, especially when I have it update or search for content. I've tried it on both of my PS3s, one being a B and the other a K model. Both behave in the same manner. I may try another firmware to see if I can get better results.

Reactions: The1stOne

The1stOne

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Amazing! I unzipped a few roms and now they run flawlessly!

But I also found out that, when browsing content and picking a zipped file, you can browse the package to list the rom inside it. That worked for a few NES-roms, but when I tried it on a SMD-rom it failed. I have no explanation why.
The Genesis Plus core in latest RetroArch (1.7.3) is version 1.74, which is newer than, let's say Genesis Plus Next v1.61. But if I install Genesis Plus Next v1.61 as a stand-alone package, it can load/run zipped-files by default. So, I am thinking that the loading and/or unzipping issue lies withing RetroArch, not the emulator/core itself. Unless someone fucked up making the core (which is also very plausible!).

But no way am I going to extract all those thousands of ROMs just to use RetroArch! I will stick with stand-alone emulators I guess, as long as they play the games I want without problem. :)

And as a side-note, RetroArch 1.0.0.2 has no problem loading and/or playing zipped ROMs (the same ROMs as I have tested with 1.7.3). So it seems this "feature" has gotten worse with the years, which is sad. :(

EDIT:
The benefit I wanted from RetroArch, if it ran smooth, was a single emulator to rule them all, and the possible ability to use RetroXMB Creator to create stand-alone packages for certain/single ROMs.

Last edited by The1stOne,

S3GA

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
i know this is an old thread but i was browsing for a solution to this exact issue and found this page. so i hope you guys wont mind the late reply.

firstly, i have no idea what i'm on CFW wise, i installed rebug 4.86 (my first JB attempt which went smoothly) however i don't know if its CEX or DEX, when i load up rebug tools, and go to CEX/DEX menu, all it says is "install rebug REX edition to access these features" the rebug firmware i installed came from a trusted site too and it didn't say "CEX or DEX" on it, many claimed that "rebug" was the best one to install so i did.
anyway i'm running CFW, everything like multiMAN, rebug tools etc all work fine apart from 2 things, firstly, the PSP loader (no matter which one i use) wont load any games. period. they all crash the console. and secondly, i installed retroarch 1.8.8 PSL1GHT, it installed fine, but like you guys its making my console go crazy, the screen loads into a small box on screen, which doesn't look normal, the highlight menu never stays still long enough to pick anything it acts like i have my finger firmly on the UP directional button and just doesn't stop. plus if i press the PS button on the controller to quit retroarch, the top half of the screen gets stretched and jumps around alot when the PS menu appears. in fear of it bricking the console im not running it again. but first impressions of retroarch it needs A LOT of work. maybe its not meant for rebug? i don't know. but certainly with my console it runs far from normal.
its been a while so i hope you guys managed to get yours working,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it