Problems with R4DS

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by op22, Jul 18, 2007.

Jul 18, 2007

Problems with R4DS by op22 at 6:51 AM (1,455 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. op22
    OP

Newcomer op22 Newbie

Canada
    I just bought an r4ds using the v1.10 kernel however whenever i play games (especially ff3) the both screens will freeze up and go blank as soon as I enter a battle. This does not always happen but when it does, the only solution is to reset the game. I have had the same problem playing resident evil, when the screen is transistioning it goes blank. I was wondering if sum1 had a similar problem or a fix?

2. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    its most likely a slow memory card but its quite strange since the games you describe dont usually have issues lke that

strange.

either;
    1.try different rom dumps of the game
    2.try it on a different ds
    3.get a faster memory card

3. op22
    OP

Newcomer op22 Newbie

Canada
    thx for the help, i am still getting problems. they can happen immediately or 30 mins into a game. also i notice the sound stalling as well, and both screens r frozen

4. Skye07

Member Skye07 GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Tried to reformat the whole thing?

5. TLSpartan

Member TLSpartan Kills threads

Australia
    What brand of Micro SD are you using?

6. xcalibur

Member xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

United Kingdom
    do you have this problem with real games as well?
    it could be a faulty r4

7. aquariumboy

Newcomer aquariumboy Advanced Member

United States
    just tried them both on mine (japanese kingston) and they play just fine no freezing or slowdowns i would either try reformating your sd card or buy a better one.

8. Skye07

Member Skye07 GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    Meh I got my second lockup in 3 months i Have my R4 today, playing FF3 while boarding the invincible (last time was in Pokemon diamond when engaging a fight)

9. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    It could be something as simple as a connection problem, either between the SD and the cart, or the cart on the DS slot.

Try either cleaning the contacts, or just ejecting/re-inserting the cards a few times and see if that fixes it.

10. hellodummies

Newcomer hellodummies Member

United States
    Did you trim the rom? Do not trim the rom.

11. op22
    OP

Newcomer op22 Newbie

Canada
    Thx for the replies!! fyi, i did not trim any of the roms, just drag and drop. I don't think they are corrupted either, at least to my knowledge, although i use the sd card reader that came with the r4 (if thats a problem). And i am using a 1 GB sandisk taiwan therefore that might be the problem. Also I formated the microsd using FAT16/64k clusters I am going to buy a toshiba and try it. If that doesn't work i am just gonna return it and incur the losses... o yeah i bought this at echostore.com if that matters. I don't know their reputation for quality products. Overall I can't play any games becus I never know when it will freeze. so far i havent gone more than 45 mins before a freeze up.
    In FF3 and other games I play, the game will crash and both screens will freeze but the music usually continues to loop.

I will update if there are any improvements.

12. Zoel

Newcomer Zoel Member

Canada
    Well i use Kingston 2 G SD card game works fine with it, you should getone from Memory Express they sell it for rougly 39.99$ in Canada and i find it could i R4 's problem because the connection to the SD card is really horrible.

13. jaz

Newcomer jaz Advanced Member

Australia
    You really shouldn't use the SD card reader that came with the R4, it's been known to cause corruption. If your going to get a Kingston or Toshiba card, get one made in Japan, and if you can, model number SD-C01G. They are usually higher quality than the ones made in Taiwan.