Problems with my 360

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by Maverick_z, Aug 25, 2009.

Aug 25, 2009

Problems with my 360 by Maverick_z at 9:26 PM (1,330 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Maverick_z
    OP

Member Maverick_z When did i join again??

Canada
    OK I don't know if anyone here can help out with this but...

About couple months back my xbox 360 drive got fried (don't know how and it didn't overheat). So I sent it into to Best Buy (via warranty) to get it repaired. Eventually I did get it back, but they put in a new mobo since the other got fried now when I went to test it out then i saw the problem.

My "new" mobo is this: [​IMG]

its the one on the left (Xenon/Zephyr)

The old one was a Falcon, because of that my power brick that I got with my 360 originally doesn't fit

I don't know what to do? and I need help with this

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    did you bring it back to futureshop/best buy and say they didnt replace the power brick?

3. FlatFrogger

Member FlatFrogger GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    A couple of things don't seem right in your post (i'll get to them in a sec)

Xenon/Zephyr are original 360 chipset designs, falcon had a reduced size cpu/gpu (i forget which), jasper is smaller again.

You could go one of a few ways:

1)Take it back and then demand them to give you a new falcon (or better) chipset design 360 which is compatible with your power brick
    2)Take it back and ask for a new power brick and explain what happened
    3)Phone microsoft and tell them the power brick you have won't turn on any more and its for an old style/original 360, not a newer hdmi one. They might give you one or they might charge you for one.
    4)Buy a powerbrick from ebay.

What gets me though is you got your 360 repaired through bestbuy, I'll admit I have no idea what they do to repair their 360's BUT a couple of things happen when you send your 360 away to microsoft, they match your 360 up to the right stuff of your previous model and when they swap the motherboards over they resync your previous console stuff over with your stuff being your console DRM licenses*. Just swapping the motherboard over will mean you will be constantly dependant on your gamertag license**.

Most of the stuff you buy from XBLA gives you 2 types of license, *one for your console so any gamertag on your console can use the game/dlc/whatever and one for your gamertag** so you can use it anywhere you log in to your gamertag on.

Since I have no idea what bestbuy do to repair I can't say for sure they might have links with microsoft to resync this info.

If your console motherboard definitely changed (your console ID changed, your MAC changed, etc) then you are now running on a much OLDER and inferior chipset design, one which is prone to producing more heat (and ergo more likely to fail) and also requires more power (hence why your power brick doesn't work). I'd also be concerned over content if you bought a lot of it (you will likely have to use the DRM license transfer tool).

Older power bricks work with newer consoles because they produce the higher power, i.e xenon/zephyr will work with falcons, falcon power bricks should work on jaspers, etc.

Personally i'd stick to microsoft in the future to repair your 360, they give you a month of xbox live gold time free too. I'd also take that box back to bestbuy and demand they swap it for a new console.

4. Maverick_z
    OP

Canada
    I did that and then they said they don't have one like that in stock, but they actually had one to test my problem which was weird

Anyways, also my MS warranty expired so im pretty screwed form that end.

5. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    You DO realize that you can pop out the center part of your 360 power port right? It's only a piece of plastic, no power runs through that piece.

6. olliepop2000

Member olliepop2000 GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    what did you have some sort of extended warranty with bestbuy? how old was the console?

7. Maverick_z
    OP

Canada
    I currently have a 3 year warranty with best buy and I bought it last year from them.

well I've read and heard that its not safe to do it because it might screw up my 360 even more

8. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Yeah, if you have really unstable hands. Seriously, it's easy to pop out. I use a screwdriver for it. Using your pics, Pop it sideways. It should come right out.

9. foxgrey

Member foxgrey GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I used to work for bestbuy as a service tech in-store. I do not know what they do to repair the consoles, but I can give you some advice with Bestbuy. You will get a different story/policy from each person behind the counter. Instead politely ask for their "service manager", insist you have an issue that only that manager or higher can take care of.
    Once you get that manager explain your story, and most of the time they will "make a one time exception" and either replace your item outright, or will offer to resolve it someway. If that doesnt work, ask for the corporate phone number and escalate the issue.
    I know it sucks having to make a big deal out of something, but honestly sometimes you have to be a jerk to get what you should have gotten in the first place.

10. Maverick_z
    OP

Canada
    maybe i will give this a shot