Hacking Problems updating Luma3DS and impossibility to lauch Godmode or RosalinaMenu

Pariz3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Hi

For a long time i didn't care about updating my 3DS because I had everything I needed. But with this corona-quarantine I tried to make some changesand I had a bad surprise discovering that my homebrew would'nt launch anymore, and that it was impossible after manytime to restaure. I tried to take it from the very beginning but I'm everytime stuck at the point in which I can't upgrade my Luma3DS version and I can't access to ether Godmode nor Rosalina Menu to upgrade erveything. This is my first post on this forum and I'm not so familiar with all those things but I can carefully follow a guide so please, it would be amazing if someone could help me! :)

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi

For a long time i didn't care about updating my 3DS because I had everything I needed. But with this corona-quarantine I tried to make some changesand I had a bad surprise discovering that my homebrew would'nt launch anymore, and that it was impossible after manytime to restaure. I tried to take it from the very beginning but I'm everytime stuck at the point in which I can't upgrade my Luma3DS version and I can't access to ether Godmode nor Rosalina Menu to upgrade erveything. This is my first post on this forum and I'm not so familiar with all those things but I can carefully follow a guide so please, it would be amazing if someone could help me! :)
What version of Luma3DS do you have? Next steps depend on the currently present version.

General questions:
  • SD formatted FAT32, 32kb cluster size? Does it show “open blocks” in System Settings → Data Management
    • Is this a known good SD (recently verified by h2testw, F3 or F3X)?
    • Is GodMode9 in the SD:/luma/payloads folder?
  • Are your buttons working? Please test (Start), (Select), (L) and dpad.
  • Can you access Luma3DS settings by holding (Select) on power on?
Good luck!

Pariz3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Aaaaah Sorry I didn't even mention the Luma3DS version running on my 3DS... It's 7.1 and I can access to the settings by holding Select and power on. All my buttons are working, I tested it with the camera. My SD card is verified by F3X recently (like yesterday) and formatted FAT32. It shows indeed the "open blocks" in System Settings -> Data management. Still the GodMode9 is indeed in the payloads folder. Thanks for this quick answer though!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
↑↑↑↑↑↑
That is a very precise answer. That's good. Thanks!

Luma 7.1 means you have an outdated version of B9S. Also explains the missing Rosalina menu (exists since version 8.0).
Newer versions of Luma3DS require Updating B9S.

This and the finalizing setup page should do the trick (if booting SafeB9SInstaller works as intended)

Pariz3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
↑↑↑↑↑↑
That is a very precise answer. That's good. Thanks!

Luma 7.1 means you have an outdated version of B9S. Also explains the missing Rosalina menu (exists since version 8.0).
Newer versions of Luma3DS require Updating B9S

This and the finalizing setup page should do the trick (if booting SafeB9SInstaller works as intended)

Soooo leider... It didn't go as expected, I could only do the first section of the guide (I removed all other files than luma, boot.3dsx (Homebrew menu) and the B9s folder, I'm not sure that this is the right thing to do but that's how I understand "For all steps in this section, overwrite any existing files on your SD card." at the very beginning of the guide), followed the instructions carefuly but still couldn't launch Luma3ds chainloader menu by holding start and power on...

Any Ideas ? And again, thanks a lot for the helpful lines!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Soooo leider... It didn't go as expected, I could only do the first section of the guide (I removed all other files than luma, boot.3dsx (Homebrew menu) and the B9s folder, I'm not sure that this is the right thing to do but that's how I understand "For all steps in this section, overwrite any existing files on your SD card." at the very beginning of the guide), followed the instructions carefuly but still couldn't launch Luma3ds chainloader menu by holding start and power on...

Awwww.

The boot.firm file on the SD has to be Luma3DS v7.1; if you changed it to a later version, your old B9S will ignore it and fall back to the version on CTRNAND (where no payloads seem to exist on your device; else it should have loaded GodMode9).

Prepare everything as advised on the guide. But then put SafeB9SInstaller.firm into the root of the SD and rename it to boot.firm → The console should boot into the installer instead of the normal operating system. Put in the combination on screen to update B9S.
This results in an endless loop. After reboot the installer starts again and again and again… This is the expected behavior and not a softbrick (just saying this because some people panicked in the past because of this loop).

Completing the installation once is enough. After installation turn of your 3DS and replace the installer (boot.firm) with latest Luma3DS. You should be able to continue with the guide.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

You are doing the updating B9S to most recent and NOT trying to install cfw from scratch again. correct?

Reactions: Pariz3r

Pariz3r

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Weeeell, first a big thanks because I could make a few steps further in the process. The big hammer method worked well because I can see the LUMA3DS v10.0.1 config. when I press select + power on. The "show NAND or user string in System Settings" is also well ticked. I followed the instructions for the finalization of the process (I let the SafeB9Sinstaller file in the Luma/payloads/folder, so with the godemode9.firm, I doubt it was correct). The Luma menu opens this time. I can launch normally the Download Play app. and doing the combination to get the Rosalina menu, and tick the "switch to the hb...". I quit and close the app, but when I try to launch Homebrew instead of the normal application, I get a red "An exception occurred" with the "processor : ARM11 (core1), Exception type : undefined instruction and current process: loader (0000000000)" then lines of letter and number. I saved the crash dump but I can't join file here.

Any idea what I've been doing wrong ? And again, thanks a lot for your quick and minutely-executed advices.

EDIT:
You are doing the updating B9S to most recent and NOT trying to install cfw from scratch again. correct?.
I tried it at first thinking maybe I had to take it all from the very beginning.

EDIT2: after a quick search on the forum, I found that Download Play wasn't the most relatable app to do this so I used "health" instead and apparently it worked. I'll come back to you with further informations later if needed!

Last edited by Pariz3r,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans